Sanskrit Wikipedia logo
(The Free Encyclopedia)
|Type of site||Internet encyclopedia project|
|Available language(s)||संस्कृतम् (Sanskrit)|
|Content license||Creative Commons Attribution/
Share-Alike 3.0 (most text also dual-licensed under GFDL)
Media licensing varies
|Created by||Sanskrit wiki community|
Sanskrit Wikipedia (Sanskrit: संस्कृतविकिपीडिया) (also known as sawiki) is the Sanskrit edition of Wikipedia, a free, web-based, collaborative, multilingual encyclopedia project supported by the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation. Its five thousand articles have been written collaboratively by volunteers around the world, with major concentration of contributors in India and Nepal.
The Sanskrit Wikipedia Community also participated in a project named Tell us about your Wikipedia, and Community news from Sanskrit Wikipedia also came on WikiPatrika, a community-written and community-edited newspaper, covering stories, events and reports related to Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation sister projects in India.
As of September 2012, it has 7756 articles and is the 127th largest version of Wikipedia.
Early history 
One of the earliest snapshots of the home page, dated 1 June 2004, can be seen at the earlier archives of Sanskrit Wikipedia. The earliest article still available on Sanskrit Wikipedia's site is apparently Damana dīva, dated July 9, 2004, however the first article was made on March 21, 2004.
It remained one of the prime aim of Vandals, due to which it dropped from the 1,000-article mark to only 600 articles with the deletion of nearly half its articles in August 2005. However many of them were also deleted due to be moved to Wikisource. The Sanskrit Wikipedia will be Reahced 10000 Articles in November 2012
Collaboration with Samskrita Bharati 
Sanskrit Wikipedia has a collaboration with Samskrita Bharati, a non-profit organisation working to revive Sanskrit. The collaboration efforts started in the Wikipedia Academy organized in Bangalore on Jan 23, 2010. That Wikipedia Academy was also the first in India.
There were 11 Sanskrita Bharathi participants at the Academy. They were introduced to Wikipedia and contributing to Wikipedia content and were helped in this by a team of roughly 3 Wikipedians.
Later the first Sanskrit Wiki workshop was held in Sanskrit Bharati's office at Bangalore for an audience of 20 participants. The presentation was intended to give a basic working knowledge of Wikipedia and its interface.
A second workshop was held at the same location on March 26, 2011 for another 15 participants from software companies and the Om Shantidham Gurukulam.
- Wikimedia India Chapter contributors (June 9, 2011). "WikiPatrika/2011-06/Community News/sa". Wikimedia India Chapter. Retrieved September 22, 2011.
- Meta contributors (August 6, 2011). "Wikimedia News". Meta, discussion about Wikimedia projects. Retrieved September 21, 2011.
- Wikipedia contributors (August 11, 2011). "Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2011-08-08/News and notes". Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved September 21, 2011.
- Meta contributors (May 20, 2011). "Tell us about Sanskrit Wikipedia". Meta, discussion about Wikimedia projects. Retrieved September 22, 2011.
- Meta contributors (September 22, 2011). "List of Wikipedias". Meta, discussion about Wikimedia projects. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- Wikipedia Contributors (June 1, 2004). "Main Page". Wikipedia. Retrieved September 21, 2011.
- Wikipedia Contributors (July 9, 2004). "दमन दीव" [Daman Diu] (in Sanskrit). Wikipedia. Retrieved September 21, 2011.
- Wikipedia Contributors (June 14, 2011). "Wikipedia:Milestones 2004". Wikipedia. Retrieved September 22, 2011.
- Wikipedia Contributors (June 7, 2010). "Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2005-08-22/News and notes". Wikipedia. Retrieved September 22, 2011.
|Sanskrit Wikipedia edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
- (Sanskrit) Sanskrit Wikipedia
- (Sanskrit) Sanskrit Wikipedia mobile
- Wikipedia.org multilingual portal
- Wikimedia Foundation