Santa Catalina, Ilocos Sur
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013)|
Map of Ilocos Sur showing the location of Sta. Catalina
|Region||Ilocos (Region I)|
|• Mayor||Carlos R. Asuncion|
|• Total||9.68 km2 (3.74 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,400/km2 (3,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||5th class|
With an area of 968 hectares (2,390 acres) it is the smallest municipality in the province and the only municipality in Ilocos Sur which has an urban status for all its barangays based on National Statistical Coordination Board (NSCB).
The feast of the town is celebrated every 25th day of November to celebrate the feast day of Saint Catherine of Alexandria (town's patron saint).
When the Augustinians were busy with the Christianization of the Ilocos Region, a group of missionaries sailed westward through the river known as "El Mestizo" to the place now called Santa Catalina. They were also looking for fresh water, since the area where he landed yielded only salty water. When they finally found a fresh water spring up north, and were busy quenching their thirst, some of them saw an image of a beautiful lady near the place where he drank, which disappeared after a few minutes. One of them recognized the image as that of Saint Catherine of Alexandria. The Augustinians returned to Villa Fernandina (Vigan) and reported this matter to their superiors. This resulted in the construction of a church in the town with Saint Catherine of Alexandria as the patron saint. It was also declared that Santa Catalina be the name of the town.
A replica of the cross once planted by Salcedo and his party—to signify that the Spanish has conquered the area—stands near the entrance to the municipality.
It has 3 sitios, namely:
- Calawaan ( Tamorong )
- Mindanao, formerly Sabangan ( Paratong )
- Punta ( Cabittaogan )
|Population census of Sta. Catalina|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
The main source of income for the locals include Organic District Farming, Fishing And Tricycle Driving. Since This Is a 5th class municipality, Its Economic Growth Is very Slow. But There Are Also Many Beautiful Rich Houses That Can Be Found Here Thanks To Many OFW locals that had gone abroad to give better financial support to their family.
It has 7 elementary schools, namely:
- Santa Catalina Central
- Bernardo P. Ragasa Elementary
- Cabittaogan Elementary
- Paratong Elementary
- Pangada-Cabaroan Elementary
- Calawaan Elementary
- Cabuloan Elementary
It has two high schools, namely:
- Cabittaogan High School and
- Santa Catalina High School (formerly known as Benito Soliven Institute).
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "Province: ILOCOS SUR". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "Province of Ilocos Sur". Municipality Population Data. LWUA Research Division. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- Community Website of Sta. Catalina, Ilocos Sur
- Pasyalang Ilocos Sur
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
|South China Sea||San Ildefonso