Santa Clara High School (Santa Clara, California)
|Santa Clara High School|
|Type||Public secondary school|
|Location||3000 Benton St. Santa Clara, CA 95051,
Santa Clara, California, USA
|Colors||Royal Blue and Gold|
Santa Clara High School is a comprehensive, co-educational, public high school located in Santa Clara, California, United States. It is one of four high schools in the Santa Clara Unified School District (SCUSD).
The school started in 1872 in downtown Santa Clara at 270 Washington Street, what is now the campus of Buchser Middle School. In 1981, the school name moved to what was originally known as Buchser High School (1960-1981) at 3000 Benton Street. The new location picked up the Buchser mascot as the Bruins.
The original school handled grades 10-12, with the middle schools of the district taking grades 6-9. In 1987, the 9th grade was added as the middle schools were phased down. Jefferson Middle School was closed with the campus eventually being sold. Cabrillo Middle School was closed for a period of time but has since reopened.
Alumnus George Haines formed the Santa Clara Swim Club on campus in 1950. By 1960, seven swimmers from the club had qualified for the Olympics. The success of the club attracted swimmers to the high school. As a result of the club, the original Santa Clara High School was responsible for assembling the most Olympic Gold Medalists from a single high school.
- Mark Spitz - 2nd in All Time total Golds in any Olympics- Olympic Gold Medal Swimmer
- Margaret Jenkins - A Pioneer in Women's Sports/World Class Track and Field/Olympic Competitor
- Nino Bongiovanni - Major League Baseball Outfielder
- Brian Boitano Olympic Gold Medal Ice Skater
- Donna De Varona - Olympic Gold Medal Swimmer
- Claudia Kolb - Olympic Gold Medal Swimmer
- Mike Garzoni - NFL Football Guard
- Ken Powell Chairman, General Mills
- Don Schollander - Olympic Gold Medal Swimmer
- Heather Simmons-Carrasco Olympic Gold Medalist Synchronized Swimming
- Carol Speed - Actress
- George Haines - USA, Olympic and UCLA Swimming Coach
- Joe Bottom - Olympic Silver Medalist; two-time world record holder; Swimming Hall of Famer
- Official site of school
- http://www.santaclarausd.org/community.cfm?subpage=123060 Who’s Who in Santa Clara Unified?] - List of notable alumni from the school district
- California School Recognition Program