Santa Claus Is Coming to Town
"Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" (also known as "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town") is a Christmas song. It was written by John Frederick Coots and Haven Gillespie and was first sung on Eddie Cantor's radio show in November 1934. It became an instant hit with orders for 100,000 copies of sheet music and more than 30,000 records sold within 24 hours.
The earliest known recorded version of the song was by banjoist Harry Reser and his band on October 24, 1934 (Decca 264A) featuring Tom Stacks on vocal, the version shown in the Variety charts of December 1934. The song was a sheet music hit, reaching #1. The song was also recorded on September 26, 1935, by Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra.
The song is a traditional standard at Christmas time, and has been covered by numerous recording artists. The 1951 version by Perry Como was the first measurable hit, and in 1963 the Four Seasons version charted at #23 on Billboard. In 1970 Rankin-Bass produced an hour-long animated television special based on the song, with narrator Fred Astaire telling the original story of Santa Claus. Many contemporary artists have recorded and performed various versions of the song, including a rock and roll version by Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band. The song was recorded in a 1975 live version and eventually released first in 1982 as part of the Sesame Street compilation album In Harmony 2 and again in 1985 as a B-side to "My Hometown", a single from the Born in the U.S.A. album.
Other well-known versions of this song include Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters (1943), Frank Sinatra (1948), the Ray Conniff Singers (1959), Alvin and the Chipmunks (1961), The Crystals (1963), The Beach Boys (1964), The Jackson 5 (1970), The Carpenters (1978), The Pointer Sisters (1987), Neil Diamond (1992), Mariah Carey (1994), George Strait (1996), Faith Hill (2008), Miley Cyrus (2008), Andrea Bocelli (2009), Love Händel from Phineas and Ferb (2010), Justin Bieber (2011), Michael Bublé (2011), Mark Salling and Cory Monteith on Glee (2011), Colbie Caillat (2012), Rod Stewart (2012), Richard Marx (feat.) Sara Niemietz (2012) and Dannii Minogue (2013).
- "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town Composed by Haven Gillespie / J. Fred Coots". AllMusic. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Stories Behind the Greatest Hits of Christmas". Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Collins, Ace (5 October 2010). "4 Santa Claus Is Coming to Town". Stories Behind the Greatest Hits of Christmas. Zondervan. p. 224. ISBN 0310327954. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits: Eighth Edition. Record Research. p. 237.
- "The Greatest Rock Roll Christmas Songs Pictures - Bruce Springsteen, 'Santa Claus Is Coming To Town'". Rolling Stone. 2007-12-19. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- Chery, Carl: XXL: Michael Jackson Special Collectors Edition, page 99. American Press.
- Trust, Gary (2013-04-02). "Ask Billboard: Belinda's Back, JT Too, Mariah Carey's Album Sales & More". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2013-05-11.
- "Richard Marx and Sara Niemietz - Santa Claus Is Coming to Town". Richard Marx YouTube Channel. 20 August 2014. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas (20 August 2014). "Richard Marx Christmas Spirit". All Music. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Video on YouTube