Santa Fe County, New Mexico
|Santa Fe County, New Mexico|
Judge Steve Herrera Judicial Complex in Santa Fe, New Mexico
Location in the state of New Mexico
New Mexico's location in the U.S.
|Largest city||Santa Fe|
1,911 sq mi (4,949 km²)
1,909 sq mi (4,944 km²)
2 sq mi (5 km²), 0.08%
75/sq mi (29/km²)
Santa Fe County (Spanish: Holy faith) is a county located in the U.S. state of New Mexico. The county is also defined by the US Census Bureau as the Santa Fe, New Mexico Metropolitan Statistical Area. As of the 2010 Census, the population was 144,170, making it New Mexico's third most populous county. Its county seat is Santa Fe.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,911 square miles (4,949 km²), of which 1,909 square miles (4,945 km²) is land and 2 square miles (4 km²) (0.08%) is water. The highest point in the county is the summit of Santa Fe Baldy at 3 847m (12 622').
Adjacent counties 
- Rio Arriba County, New Mexico - north
- Mora County, New Mexico - northeast
- San Miguel County, New Mexico - east
- Torrance County, New Mexico - south
- Bernalillo County, New Mexico - southwest
- Sandoval County, New Mexico - west
- Los Alamos County, New Mexico - northwest
National protected areas 
- El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro National Historic Trail (part)
- Pecos National Historical Park (part)
- Santa Fe National Forest (part)
Whereas according to the 2010 U.S. Census Bureau:
- 76.2% White
- 0.9% Black
- 3.1% Native American
- 1.2% Asian
- 0.1% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
- 3.6% Two or more races
- 14.9% Other races
- 50.6% Hispanic or Latino (of any race)
There were 52,482 households out of which 30.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.5% were married couples living together, 11.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.5% were non-families. 29.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.1% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 29.7% from 25 to 44, 27.3% from 45 to 64, and 10.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 95.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.4 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $42,207, and the median income for a family was $50,000. Males had a median income of $33,287 versus $27,780 for females. The per capita income for the county was $23,594. About 9.4% of families and 12% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.2% of those under age 18 and 9.7% of those age 65 or over.
The county is governed by a five-member county commission, whose members are elected from single-member districts (see map). Elections are partisan and all five seats are currently held by Democrats. County commissioners serve four-year terms, with term limits preventing them from serving more than two full terms.
Current commissioners are:
|District||Name||Party||First elected||Term ends|
|District 1||Danny Mayfield||Democratic||2010||2014|
|District 2||Virginia Vigil||Democratic||2004||2012|
|District 3||Robert Anaya||Democratic||2010||2014|
|District 4||Kathy Holian||Democratic||2008||2012|
|District 5||Liz Stefanics||Democratic||2008||2012|
Other localities 
Census-designated places 
- Agua Fria
- Cañada de los Alamos
- Cedar Grove
- El Rancho
- El Valle de Arroyo Seco
- Eldorado at Santa Fe
- La Cienega
- La Puebla
- Los Cerrillos
- Rio Chiquito
- Rio en Medio
- San Ildefonso Pueblo
- Santa Cruz
See also 
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Directory." New Mexico Corrections Department. Retrieved on December 7, 2009.
- "Penitentiary of New Mexico, Santa Fe." New Mexico Corrections Department. Retrieved on December 7, 2009.
||Los Alamos County||Rio Arriba County||Mora County|
|Sandoval County||San Miguel County|
|Bernalillo County||Torrance County|