Santa Paravia en Fiumaccio
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
|Santa Paravia en Fiumaccio|
Santa Paravia and Fiumaccio is a video game in which each player becomes the ruler of a fledgling Italian city-state around the year 1400. The goal of the game is to become king or queen; to do so the player must manage their city-state so that it may grow.
The game, by George Blank, first appeared in the December 1978 issue of SoftSide magazine, (Milford, NH), and was published for sale on tape cassette as a computer game by Instant Software (Peterborough, NH) for the Radio Shack TRS-80, the Apple II, Texas Instruments TI-99/4A,and the Commodore PET. It has been translated into many languages, such as ANSI C, and has been ported to the Palm Pilot.
The game consists of yearly turns, beginning in 1400; each turn involves the allocation of grain, counted in steres, and funds, counted in florins, attempting to grow the colony in both population and size. A ruler must ensure that sufficient grain supplies are available to feed his people; by distributing excess grain, a ruler can encourage more citizens to move into his city-state. However, often famine and rats cause grain reserves to diminish.
Funds can be spent to purchase more land, military forces, or various types of structures. These structures include revenue producing mills and markets as well as prestigious palaces and cathedrals. (The 'SoftSide' version had a code error that allowed you to keep all your grain, even when you went bankrupt.)
Based loosely on the text game Hamurabi, Santa Paravia and Fiumaccio was an early God game. It combined 'guns and butter' economic tradeoffs with graphic development of a kingdom with buildings being constructed and shown on the screen as well as character development, shown as progressive promotions from baron to king.
- The Software Catalog. Elsevier. 1983. p. 172. ISBN 978-0-444-00745-2. Retrieved 2008-09-13.
- Peterson, Dale (1983). Genesis II, Creation and Recreation with Computers. Reston Pub. Co. p. 182. ISBN 978-0-8359-2434-4. Retrieved 2008-09-13.
- Blank, George (December 1978). "Santa Paravia en Fiumaccio". SoftSide. Retrieved November 15, 2014.
- The Software Encyclopedia. Bowker. 1985. p. 343. Retrieved 2008-09-13.
- Knox, Thomas (November 29, 2003). "paravia.c". PlanetSourceCode. Retrieved November 15, 2014.
- Engel, George M. (2007). The Naked Serviceman. Lulu.com. p. 47. ISBN 978-1-4303-1785-2. Retrieved 2008-09-13.
- Dukedom, a 1976 fief management game
- Dynasty, a 1978 province management game set in the Hunan under the Yuan dynasty
- Hamurabi, a 1969 city management game
- "Santa Paravia". MMReference. Retrieved November 29, 2014. (Source code of the game)
- "SantaParavia andFiumaccio 2003!". GS.WorldView. 2003. Retrieved November 15, 2014.