|Birth name||N. Santhanam|
21 January 1980 |
Pozhichalur, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Santhanam is an Indian film actor who plays lead comedian roles in Tamil films. His fame started off with Lollu Sabha. He made his feature film debut with sachin in 2004 and later appeared in several successful films. Though is considered his first feature film, he has acted in two films before Manmadhan. Santhanam was also in STR's debut film as a leading actor, namely Kadhal Azhivathillai. He is best known for his roles in Siruthai (2011) and director M. Rajesh's comic trilogy, comprising Siva Manasula Sakthi (2009), Boss Engira Bhaskaran (2010) and Oru Kal Oru Kannadi (2012), the former two earning him the Vijay Award for Best Comedian for their respective years. After Manmadhan, Santhanam continued his collaboration with actor Silambarasan, appearing in successful comedy tracks in Vallavan, Kaalai, Silambattam, Vaanam and Osthe. He has started a film production company named Handmade Films.
Santhanam resides in Pozhichalur, Chennai. He has a Diploma in Electronics and Communication Engineering from Meenakshi Krishnan Polytechnic College. Santhanam started his career in television in a comedy talk show in WinTV in which late Balaji was the comedy lead followed by Lollu Sabha in Vijay TV and went on to do Tamil films starting in Manmadhan in 2004. He starred as hero in the movie Arai En 305-il Kadavul alongside Ganja Karuppu. He garnered a lot of attention and appreciation following his appearance in movies like Siva Manasula Sakthi and Boss Engira Bhaskaran. He has worked with several popular actors including Rajnikanth, Ajith Kumar, Vikram, Suriya, Vijay, Dhanush, Karthi, Arya, Jeeva, Simbu and many others. Much like career of veteran comedians like Vivek who played important comedians role and side kick to main hero from 1998-2009 in most of the Tamil films,even Santhanam since 2010 has been getting such pivotal comedian roles. Since 2009 Santhanam plays the role of the hero's sidekick (sometimes foil), contributing more to the main story. Based on an online poll conducted by The Times of India, Santhanam won the Best Actor in a Comic Role for Vaanam.
The actor, in an interview, expressed his wish to direct Tamil movies in comedy-sentiment subjects. He feels that India is a land of spirituality and science with lot of untouched subjects and he would venture to touch those in his directorial venture. Santhanam is part of 'Kanna Laddu Thinna Aasaiya' in Tamil. A cameo role is done by Simbu in this film. In recent times Santhanam is titled as the comedy super star of Tamil Cinema.
After Vivek and Vadivelu, Santhanam is regarded as one of the best comedians in Tamil film industry. Most of the directors depend on him to ensure box-office success. This is due to the amount of low class mass followers in the state of Tamil Nadu. He employs veteran Goundamani's style of making sarcastic comments which Santhanam denies and is accused of uttering double-meaning dialogues.
- A large number of practicing advocates staged a protest in front of the Egmore Court complex today protesting against comedian Santhanam’s ‘ridiculing’ act in the film Deiva Thirumagal which they said amounted to defame not only the advocates but the very legal profession on the whole.
- Santhanam was involved in controversy when he made fun of Mukesh Harane, a 24-year-old tobacco user who died of oral cancer, in All in All Azhagu Raja, scene was immediately removed from the film.
- Double meaning dialogue uttered by him in Endrendrum Punnagai created controversy. He was accused of making remark against women, due to protests the dialogue was removed from the film.
- Vijay Award for Best Comedian for Siva Manasula Sakthi (2009)
- Vijay Award for Best Comedian for Boss Engira Bhaskaran (2010)
- Edison Award – Best Comedian for Boss Engira Bhaskaran (2010)
- Vijay Award for Best Comedian for Siruthai (2011)
- SIIMA Award for Best Comedian for Vaanam (2011)
- Vijay Award for Best Comedian for Oru Kal Oru Kannadi (2012)
- Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor – Tamil for Boss Engira Bhaskaran (2010)
- Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor – Tamil for Siruthai (2011)
- Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor – Tamil for Deiva Thirumagal (2011)
- SIIMA Award for Best Comedian for Oru Kal Oru Kannadi 2012
- 2001 - Super Comedies in Win TV
- 2002 – Tea Kadai Bench in WIN TV with super 10 Balaji and kadi TV in jeya TV
- 2001–2004 – Lollu Sabha
- "Happy birthday, Santhanam! - Tamil Movie News". Indiaglitz.com. 2012-01-21. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "I will write and direct a film soon: Santhanam". The Times of India. 2012-12-08. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- Kadhal Azhivathillai. "Real Santhanam Fanz". realsanthanamfanz.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Santhanam the most wanted!". The Times of India. 23 May 2011.
- K. R. Manigandan (2012-04-14). "Comedy is serious business". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "Santhanam Biography". Oneindia.in. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- "I will write and direct a film soon: Santhanam - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2012-12-08. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "The Chennai Times Film Awards 2011". The Times of India. 2012-06-22. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Santhanam to turn director". Indiaglitz. 8 Jun 2012.
- "Santhanam, 'Power Star' to come together". msn.com. 8 Jun 2012.
- "Santhanam | Shankars I". Behindwoods. 2012-07-28. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Are K-Town filmmakers over-dependent on Santhanam? - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-04-11. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "Santhanam denies imitating Goundamani - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "Advocates protest against Comedian Santhanam". Kolly Talk. 2011-08-03. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "All in All Azhaguraja faces ban? - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-10-18. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "Actor Santhanam’s joke has anti-tobacco lobby fuming - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-10-17. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "Santhanam Breaks his Promise - Tamil Movie News". Indiaglitz.com. 2013-10-29. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "Santhanam’s controversial dialogue removed, again - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-10-31. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Santhanam.|