|Municipal seat and city|
Santiago Papasquiaro is a town of 47,360 people (2005 census) located in a valley in west-central Durango, Mexico. It is the fourth-largest community in the state in population, and is the municipal seat of the municipality of the same name. Santiago Papasquiaro is also the home of Mexican Army's 71st Infantry Battalion barracks. The town is situated on the eastern slopes of the Sierra Madre Occidental. Santiago Papasquiaro is located at an altitude of over 5,000 ft. above sea level. Agriculture is a vital part of the town's economy. During the past few years, the city has improved vastly. The municipality has an area of 7,238.4 km² (2,794.76 sq mi) and a census population of 41,539.
Several emigrants of Santiago Papasquiaro live in the Chicago, Illinois: Los Angeles, California: El Paso, Tx: Phoenix, Arizona: Dallas, Tx metropolitan area in USA. Several famous duranguense bands are from Santiago Papasquiaro, including such groups as Montez de Durango. Also one of the most famous grupero bands are from Santiago Papasquiaro are Los Bondadosos.
- Marlene Favela, model and actress (born 1976 in Santiago Papasquiaro)
- Silvestre Revueltas, composer, violinist, and conductor (born in Santiago Papasquiaro)
- Coquis Quintana, the most famous radio personality of Santiago Papasquiaro
- Nancy Velazquez, radio and television personality in northern California (born in Santiago Papasquiaro)
- Band members of El Grupo Móntez de Durango
- Charly Kings, notable music critic.
- Gabriel Rivera-Barraza, famous fashion publicist & philanthropist in New York City (born in Santiago Papasquiaro)
- Consejo Nacional de Población. Índice de marginación a nivel localidad.
- Gobierno Municipal de Santiago Papasquiaro Official website
- Genteymas Night Life in Santiago Papasquiaro