|Santiago Rusiñol i Prats|
Rusiñol in 1892
25 February 1861|
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
|Died||13 June 1931
|Field||Painting, Poetry, Theater|
|Training||Studio of Tomás Moragas|
Rusiñol was born in Barcelona in 1861, to a family of industrialists in textiles with origins in Manlleu. Despite the fact that he was the heir to the family's lucrative operations, by the time he was a teenager Rusiñol already showed a strong interest in painting and travel.
His training as painter started at Centro de Acuarelistas de Barcelona under the direction of Tomás Moragas. Like so many artists of the day, he travelled to Paris in 1889, living in Montmartre with Ramon Casas and Ignacio Zuloaga.
Much of his work in Paris belonged to the Symbolism painting style. While there, he also attended the Gervex Academy, where he discovered his love for modernism. After returning to Spain, he settled in Sitges, founding a studio/museum named Cau Ferrat. When back in Barcelona, he was a frequent client of the café Els Quatre Gats, noted for its association with modernisme and the young Pablo Picasso. He went to Mallorca with the painter Joaquin Mir Trinxet,  where they met the mystic Belgian painter William Degouve de Nuncques in 1899.
He was most known for his plays, and landscape and garden paintings. He died in Aranjuez in 1931 while painting its famous gardens.
- Isabel Coll, 2000.p 62
- http://books.google.com/books/about/El_archiduque_Luis_Salvador_Rub%C3%A9n_Dar%C3%AD.html?id=iwANAAAAIAAJ&redir_esc=y El archiduque Luis Salvador, Rubén Darío y Santiago Rusiñol en Mallorca
- "Book mentioning Casa Trinxet". Google Books. 1998-10-27. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- Vázquez, Oscar E., "Beauty Buried in its Own Cemetery: Santiago Rusiñol's ‘Jardins d'Espanya’ as Reliquaries of Aristocratic History." Word & Image 2, no.1 (January–March, 1995), 61-76
- Media related to Santiago Rusiñol at Wikimedia Commons
- Webpage devoted to Santiago Rusiñol (lletrA (UOC), Catalan Literature Online)
- Web about the Rusiñol Year in Sitges
- Santiago Rusiñol i Prats An extensive view on the life and works of Rusiñol as painter and writer
|This article about a Spanish painter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Catalan poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|