Santo Tomas, Davao del Norte
Map of Davao del Norte showing the location of Santo Tomas
|Region||Davao Region (Region XI)|
|Province||Davao del Norte|
|District||2nd District of Davao del Norte|
|Founded||August 14, 1959|
|• Mayor||Benigno Andamon|
|• Total||221.80 km2 (85.64 sq mi)|
|• Density||490/km2 (1,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Population census of Santo Tomas, Davao del Norte|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
Sto. Tomas is located in the island of Mindanao, in Region XI, Province of Davao del Norte and it falls under its second political district. It is bounded in the North by the Municipalities of Kapalong and Talaingod, in the East by the Municpality of Asuncion, in the West by Davao City and in the South by the Municipality of Braulio E. Dujali and City of Panabo.
Rainfall in Sto. Tomas is evenly distributed throughout the year. Being a typhoon-free municipality, the production of high value crops is favorable all year round and makes a profitable investment.
Sto. Tomas is home to a diverse culture inter-mingling with Aeta, Mandaya and Aeta-Manobo. The people are predominantly Cebuano.
Significant to the economic development of Sto. Tomas is a number of multi-national corporations and cooperatives engaged in banana based commercial production successfully operating in the municipality. Rice production also contributes to the economic development of the municipality.
Sto. Tomas is more or less than 30 km away or about an hour ride from Tagum City by any land vehicle, and the town offers a wide choice of public utility jeepneys via Kinamayan route or bus liner via Carmen route. Davao City is approximately 63 km or an hour and a half ride by bus or private car. Bus liners going to Sto. Tomas are stationed at Davao City Overland Transportation Terminal in Ecoland, Davao City. Bus companies have both non-air-conditioned and air-conditioned units that gives added comfort to passengers to and from Davao City.
Sto. Tomas is accessible by land through any type of vehicle. There are tricycle units plying the different routes within the municipality.
Santo Tomas have several public and private institutions. Famous schools are:
- Balagunan National High School (Public)
- Marsman National High School (Public)
Offers Technical / Vocational Courses (by angkhol)
- ABA Technical School of Sto. Tomas, Inc.
Offers college, high school and elementary
- Davao Winchester Colleges Inc. (Private)
Offers high school and elementary.
- Maryknoll High School of Santo Tomas (Private-Catholic)
Offers Kindergarten, Grade School and High School Education.
- Santo Tomas Elementary School (Public)
Offers only Elementary Education.
- Santo Tomas National High School (Public)
Offers only High School Education.
- Temple Christian School
- Bukidnon State University
The first University in the Municipality that offers several courses for tertiary level.
- Tagum Cooperative - Reforma Bldg., R. Magsaysay Ave., FD Road 3, Brgy. Tibal-og, Sto. Tomas, Davao del Norte
Telefax No. (084) 829-2558
Santo Tomas is politically subdivided into 19 barangays.
- La Libertad
- New Katipunan
- Tibal-og (Poblacion/Town Center)
- San Jose
- San Miguel
- New Visayas
- San Vicente
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- 2000 Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance
- Performance Management System