|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012)|
June 30, 1899|
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Died||April 10, 1976
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, U.S.
|Other names||Santos Ortegga|
|Occupation||Radio, television actor|
Santos Ortega (June 30, 1899 – April 10, 1976) was an American actor and comedian. He played Will Hughes in As the World Turns, taking over from Will Lee (who only played one episode). Ortega continued in the role until his death in 1976.
He began his career in the theater in "an extravaganza at the old Hippodrome Theater. Later, he went on tour with a singing group, returning to New York City to appear on the Broadway stage including roles in Jeb and Marilyn's Affairs.
Ortega was active in radio, starring in The Adventures of Nero Wolfe (1943–1944) and narrating Gangbusters, as well as Stroke of Fate. Perhaps his most famous and notable radio role was Commissioner Weston on The Shadow. He played the title role in Bulldog Drummond (1942–43) and was heard in the daytime radio serial Perry Mason, 1948's Roger Kilgore, Public Defender, and as the title character in The Adventures of Charlie Chan (1947–1948), The Affairs of Peter Salem from 1949 to 1953, and Hannibal Cobb (1950–1951). Throughout the 1930s and 1940s and into the 1950s and early 1960s, the prolific Ortega lent his remarkable range of voice characterizations to numerous other radio drama series such as Inner Sanctum, The Mysterious Traveler, Suspense, Casey Crime Photographer, The Eternal Light, The Columbia Workshop, The Big Story, Perry Mason, You Are There, Dimension X, and X Minus One. Ortega also originated the radio role of Inspector Queen on The Adventures of Ellery Queen
On television, he played Will Hughes (usually just referred to as "Grandpa") on As the World Turns, replacing Will Lee in the role on the show's second episode (1956). He continued in the role until shortly before his death in 1976.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2013)|
Ortega died on April 10, 1976 of an unknown illness.
- As the World Turns (1956-1976): Will Hughes
- Santos Ortega: Any Detective He Didn't Play?
- "Memorial Services Held for Actor", Los Angeles Times, July 1, 1976.
- Cox, Jim, Radio Crime Fighters, 2002, p. 63, McFarland, Jefferson, NC, ISBN 0-7864-1390-5
- Starr, Michael Seth (2008). "Enter Perry Mason". Hiding in Plain Sight: The Secret Life of Raymond Burr. Hal Leonard Corporation. p. 83. ISBN 1-55783-694-9.
- Cox, Jim, Radio Crime Fighters, 2002, p. 213, McFarland, Jefferson, NC, ISBN 0-7864-1390-5
- Cox, Jim, Radio Crime Fighters, 2002, p. 9, McFarland, Jefferson, NC, ISBN 0-7864-1390-5
- Cox, Jim, Radio Crime Fighters, 2002, p. 37, McFarland, Jefferson, NC, ISBN 0-7864-1390-5
- Cox, Jim, Radio Crime Fighters, 2002, p. 126, McFarland, Jefferson, NC, ISBN 0-7864-1390-5
- Lackmann, Ron. "Adventures of Ellery Queen, et al.". The Encyclopedia of American Radio. p. 5, etal. ISBN 0-8160-4077-X.