|Traded as||Sany Heavy Industry Co Ltd (600031.SS)|
|Founded||1986Lianyuan, Hunan Province)(Maotang,|
|Key people||Xiang Wenbo (CEO)|
Coal mining machinery
Pile driving machinery
Road construction machinery
Wind power equipment
|Operating income||RMB 50 billion (2010)|
|Literal meaning||Sany Heavy Industry Co., Ltd.|
Sany (officially Sany Heavy Industry Co., Ltd.) (SSE: 600031) is a Chinese multinational heavy machinery manufacturing company headquartered in Changsha, Hunan Province. It is the sixth-largest heavy equipment manufacturer in the world, and the first in its industry in China to enter the FT Global 500 and the Forbes Global 2000 rankings. The company's founder and main shareholder, Liang Wengen, topped Forbes magazine's annual list of China's richest people in 2011.
With a dozen of domestic industrial parks plus manufacturing facilities in Brazil, Germany, India, Indonesia and in the United States, Sany is one of the most international Chinese companies, and projecting to grow even more in emerging markets as China's domestic demand slows. The company has approximately 70,000 employees worldwide.
Name, logo and motto
The name "Sany" comes from the English pronunciation of the Chinese name of the company (Chinese: 三一; pinyin: Sānyī), which means "three ones", in reference to the three first-class goals the company mentions as its vision: "To build a first-class enterprise, to foster first-class employees, and to make first-class contributions to society". The logo of the company makes reference to this phrase, as it contains three number ones interlinked. Sany's motto and corporate mission is "Quality changes the world".
The origins of Sany lie in Lianyuan Welding Material Ltd, a company founded in 1986 by Liang Wengen, Tang Xiuguo, Mao Zhongwu and Yuan Jinhua, who left their previous jobs and first established the company with a capital of sixty thousand yuans in the town of Maotang, county-level city of Lianyuan.
In 1991 Lianyuan Welding Material Ltd. was officially renamed Sany Group Co., Ltd. and its headquarters were officially moved to Changsha. Since then, the company has experienced continuous rapid growth (at an annualized rate of around 50%), spurred by China's economic boom, specifically growth in its construction sector.
Sany Heavy Industry Co., Ltd was founded in 1994 as a subsidiary of the Sany Group. Sany Heavy Industry went public on the Shanghai Stock Exchange on July 3, 2003. In June 17, 2005, the company conducted the split share structure reform and realized full circulation of its shares. After this event, its market cap started growing at a very fast rate, jumping from a total of RMB 4 million yuan in 2005 up to a total of RMB 137 million yuan in June 2011.
Since its foundation, the headquarters of Sany have received official visits from several political leaders, including Hu Jintao and Wen Jiabao. During his visit on October 3, 2003, said to Sany personnel: “You have made splendid achievements in the past. Hope you unite as one to create a better future!”.
In 2010 the operating income of Sany reached just under 34 billion RMB, a 79% year-on-year increase.
During the 2010 Copiapó mining accident, a crane manufactured by SANY was used in rescuing the Chilean miners. A pump from the company was donated to the Tokyo Electric Power Company to assist with the emergency response to the Fukushima I nuclear accidents.
In 2011, Sany signed several contracts to open new manufacturing centers, the most important of them include the Zhuhai and Lingang New City centers, and the fifth international equipment plant in Indonesia, the latter with an investment of US$200 million.
In January 2012 Sany agreed to acquire a 90 per cent stake in Putzmeister, a Germany-based manufacturer of concrete pumps, for €324 million, with Citic PE Advisors (Hong Kong) Ltd. agreeing to purchase the balance of 10 per cent.
In February 2012, Sany and the Austria-based Palfinger announced a market venture to make and sell mobile cranes, a project with a total investment of $143 million, plus the construction of a sales unit in Salzburg for $5.4 million.
In 2012, through affiliate Ralls Corp., Sany acquired four wind farm projects in Oregon. Later in the year, though, the Obama Administration ordered the wind farms divested after it was determined their location next to the Naval Weapons Systems Training Facility in Boardman, Oregon represented a national security risk. The divestiture—the first of its kind since 1990—was ordered by the US Treasury Department, which chairs the interagency Committee on Foreign Investment.
Sany Group is organised into the following major divisions and subsidiaries:
- Concrete Pump division, based in Changsha, includes the truck-mounted concrete pumps, stationary concrete pumps, concrete mixers, concrete plants, etc.
- Road construction division, also based in Changsha, with the paver, roller and grader as their main products.
- Port machinery division, originally based in Changsha but moving to the new facilities in Zhuhai, providing reachstackers, empty container handlers, Ship-to-shore cranes, rail-mounted gantry cranes, rubber tyred gantry cranes, in between others.
- Mobile crane division, based in Ningxiang County, Hunan, in charge of truck-mounted cranes, rough terrain cranes and all-terrain cranes.
- Sany Electric Co., Ltd. in Beijing, more specifically in Changping District, is in charge of wind power machinery products.
- Sany Heavy Machinery (Beijing) Co., Ltd. also located in Changping District manufactures pile drivers.
- Sany Heavy Machinery (Kunshan) Co., Ltd., in the city of Kunshan is the unit in charge of excavators.
- Sany Heavy Equipment Co., Ltd., located in Shenyang, and producing Coal mining machinery.
- Sany Science and Technology Co., Ltd., based in Shanghai, and producing crawler cranes.
Sany claims several world records, particularly in the concrete pump machinery field. According to the Guinness Book of Records, Sany holds the record for the longest boom of a truck-mounted concrete pump. Also, Sany produced a rotary drilling machine with the largest tonnage in Asia and China's largest truck crane
- Reuters retrieved 5 February 2012
- Key Figures
- Sany Group website, diversity
- (English) KHL Group. International Construction's Yellow Table 2012
- (English) China Construction Machinery Business Online. Sany enters into FT Global 500 becoming first in Chinese Construction Machinery Industry
- (English) Forbes magazine. Sany Heavy Industry section
- (English) Forbes magazine. Forbes Magazine's List of Billionaires: #113 Liang Wengen
- (English) Bloomberg. Sany eyes plants in 10 countries as China digger sales slow
- (English) Sany Group website. Corporate Overview
- (Chinese) Baike Baidu. Liang Wengen article
- (English) Resale Weekly Blog. Sany Heavy Industry Listed in 2011 FT Global 500
- (English) Sany Group website. About Sany Heavy Industry Co., Ltd.
- (Chinese) Chinese Stock Information website. Sany Heavy Industry Co, LTD. Information
- "China Concrete Pumper Gets Into Nuclear Effort". The Wall Street Journal. 22 March 2011.
- (English) CapitalVue News. SANY Group To Invest 10B Yuan In Zhuhai
- (English) CapitalVue News. US$1.8 billion in deals signed for Shanghai Lingang Industrial Park
- (English) Bisnis Indonesia. China's Sany to build US$200 million plant in Indonesia
- (English) Bloomberg. Sany, Citic to Pay $475 Million for German Cement-Pump Maker Putzmeister
- (English) Bloomberg. Sany to Invest $143 Million in Mobile Crane JV With Austria’s Palfinger
- Banerjee, Neela, and Don Lee, "Obama blocks Chinese firm's Oregon wind farm projects", LA Times, September 29, 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- (English) Forbes magazine. Forbes Global 2000: #1445 Sany Heavy Industry
- (English) Construction Week Online. Made to build: 10 of the world's largest machines
- (English) Aibor Group Blog. Sany SR420 II is Asia biggest ton rotary drilling machine
- (English) China Tech Gadget. QAY1200 and SAC12000: 1200 Ton all-terrain truck crane
- Buchanan, Mary Jo (2 February 2013). "NASCAR Has the Most Interesting Sponsors In Sports". Speedway Media. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sany Heavy Industry.|
- Baidu article about Sany Heavy Industry Co., Ltd.
- Bloomberg's Stock Quote & Analysis: Sany Heavy Industry Co., Ltd.