||This article is written like a travel guide rather than an encyclopedic description of the subject. (February 2012)|
abode of serpents
View of Saputara from the table top
|Elevation||1,000 m (3,000 ft)|
|• Density||3,151/km2 (8,160/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
This picturesque hill station is perched on a plateau in the Dang forest area of the Sahyadri range at an altitude of about 1000 m.
Saputara has been developed as a planned hill resort with all the necessary amenities like hotels, parks, swimming pools, boat club, theaters, ropeways and a museum to ensure an enjoyable holiday in the cool of the hill. Saputara is only 172 km. from Surat and 250 km from Mumbai. Saputara will soon have its own airport as state government is considering the plan. Maharashtra state border is only 4 km away from Saputara. Excursions from Saputara can be made to the wild life sanctuary in the Mahal Bardipara forest, 60 km. from here and to Gira Waterfalls 52 km away.
- Hatgad Fort : This is a historical monumental fort located just 5 kilometers away from Saputara lake in Maharashtra state border. The fort holds a great significance to history of Maratha king Shivaji and is very popular among tourist visiting Saputara for trekking. The area around this fort has also become popular for various hotels and resorts developed here like Uday Hill Resort, Anando hotel etc. serving Alcoholic drinks that are not available in further dry state of Gujarat.
- Artist Village : This is a place to not only see and buy the tribal artifacts on display, but also to get your hands to work. You will feel welcomed and inspired to try out warli painting or craft tribal objects. Run by Chandrakant Parmar and Surya Goswami, it is a good place to learn about the culture of this region, especially for school groups. The community also provides simple accommodation for a very reasonable cost.
- Vansda National park : Originally, a private forest of maharaja of Vansada, the park now covers on area of 24 km². Despite its small size the park harbours tiger, leopard, pangolin, Rusty-spotted Cat, python, giant squirrel, four-horned antelope etc. Prior permission from the Chief Wildlife Warden, or DFO, Ahwa, is required before visiting the park.
- Purna Sanctuary: Covering an area of 160 km², Purna Sanctuary is a part of a dense moist deciduous forest in the Western Ghat of Gujarat. Situated at Mahal, 60 km north of Dangs, the sanctuary is crossed by Purna and Gira rivers. There are bamboo-lined pathways for trekkers. Prior permission is necessary for visiting.
- Boating: The Saputara Lake surrounded by greenery makes it pleasurable to sail in the lake in a row or paddle boat.
- Sunrise Point: It is a point which offers the best view of Saputara and adjoining Malegoan could be reached after a walk of 1.5 km in the direction of Waghai. The naming restricts the tourist traffic to this best place as tourists believe that the point should only be visited at sun rise, however, one may visit it at any time of the day to catch a panoramic view. The Tata Consultancy Services has suggested renaming this point as Valley View Point to enhance tourist traffic.
- Sunset Point: Gives a breathtaking view of a vast spans of Dang Forest. It provides an aerial view of distant villages in forest. This thick forest around Saputara is dotted with Adivasi (tribal) villages.
- The Ropeway: A ten minutes ride across the valley to the sunset point organised by Hotel Vaity.
- Gira falls: Makes an excellent excursion option from Saputara. Just 52 km away from Saputara the Gira Waterfalls should not be missed especially during the months of June to November.
- Gardens: Rose Garden, as the name suggests, is a spectacular garden with many variety of Roses. Step Garden is a garden set up in steps. On the steps are laid beautiful plants and flower pots. Another garden is Lake Garden on the banks of Saputara Lake, which is an excellent picnic spot. All these gardens make Saputara a beautiful place.
- Gardens: One another attractive place in Saputara, step garden has the unique feature of a garden set up in steps. Well laid out steps are adorned with beautiful plants, flower pots ... (more) One another attractive place in Saputara, step garden has the unique feature of a garden set up in steps. Well laid out steps are adorned with beautiful plants, flower pots and in the midst of nice woods. There is a forest hut for the comfortable stay of the visitors, placed amidst the garden. The Garden is well maintained and offer many varieties of flowers and plants. Garden has open space for children to roam around. This is a nice place to spend the evenings away from town bustle and hustle.
From Saputara you may move ahead to the wildlife sanctuary in the Mahal Bardipura forest. At a distance of 60 km from Saputara the Mahal Bardipura forest is bestowed with rivers and bamboo glades thus offering excellent walking and trekking options.
The hill resort of Saputara promises to refresh the tourists throughout the year with its cool weather. Saputara does not experience any extreme temperature variations and is an ideal getaway for the sun-scorched souls of the plains. The monsoon rains add to the magic of Saputara. Thus you may plan your trip to the Saputara hills any time of the year. The best time is from middle of March to middle of November.
There are many hotels and resorts in Saputara besides the cottages and the log huts that offer a comfortable stay at Saputara. Even the Gujarat Tourism Corporation runs a well-equipped guesthouse at Saputara.
In and around Saputara and in the region around of Gujarat and Maharashtra you will find a number of good hotels and resorts as well as restaurants who serve the Bombay style food. Good Non - Veg restaurants and bars are available in hatgad fort area.
- Air: Surat is the nearest airport, 172 km away, Mumbai is the nearest international airport 225 km away.
- Rail: Bilimora is the nearest railway station on Western Railways. There is a narrow gauge (0.7 m) (small train) from Bilimora to Waghai.Waghai is 52 km from Saputara .
- Road : Bus facility is available from Chikhli, Bilimora, Nasik and Surat. By bus Saputara is about three hours from Bilimora. Government buses are available from Bilimora.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Saputara.|