|Elevation||1,493 m (4,898 ft)|
|Time zone||IRST (UTC+3:30)|
|• Summer (DST)||IRDT (UTC+4:30)|
Saqqez (Kurdish: سەقز, Persian: سقز, also Romanized as Saghez, Saqqiz, and Sakīz) is a city in and capital of Saqqez County, Kurdistan Province, Iran. At the 2006 census, its population was 131,348, in 31,336 families.
Kurds' ancient Iranian ancestors have lived in Seqiz and surrounding areas since approximately 1000 B.C.. By the mid-seventh century B.C. the Scythians under Bartatua reached the summit of their might in western Asia, and the region of Saqqez was their political center. In pre-Islamic era, Seqiz and surrounding areas comprised a small country known as Sagapeni, which is believed to be related to the name of the ancient Iranian Sakas (Scythians) from which the name of the city is derived.
Saqqez consist of two parts according to history: The historical part, The new part.
The Historical countries:
- Saro Bazar
- Tahjvahnchi Carvansite
- Shekh Public Bath
- Khan Public Bath
- Kawa Swahr
- Kahni Ahshqahn
- Kahni Garmkahw
The new countries is building in recent century and there is not enough attention to historical architecture of the city in their building:
- Shahrak Danshgah
- Tap Mahllahn
- Sar Chnaar
- Malla Gullahn
- Tapa Shafe'ee
Wildlife in Saqqez and its territory
According to wide spectrum of natural areas and diversity of seasons there is lots of different animals that live in Saqqez the main wild-life species are listed below:
- Bear: in local language it called as "Wrch" that live in some of Saqqez's territories specially far sites. The life-sites of this bears in Saqqez is one of the only remaining unique wild sites in middle-east. The mountains are covered by snow for three four of the year, and rivers in this regions are some of the wildest rivers in the world. Bears live mostly in Sarsheew and Gawreek.
- Wolf: this animal lives widely throughout almost all territories and it can be find in bright and dark colors according to season.
Squirrel: this animals are lived mostly in forests around the road to Baneh in west of Saqqez. This animal barely seen in other parts of middle-east but there is still a great reservation of this animals in the area. This squirrels are in gray color and also there is a smaller species which is brown. They breed in springs and sleep in winters.
- Partridge: this animals are sometimes consider as the symbol of the territory. They live in mountains and sing some of the songs of nature. There is lots of local people whom breed and take care of Partridges in the area.
- Eagle: this animals are a symbol of high-life for people of the region and in spite of decreasing in number in recent years they are some kind of inspiration to the people around and so many poems.
- Fox: this animals consider as a symbol of curiosity among people and live in most parts of the region.
- other animals who live around: Antelope،, Quail, aquarium fishes, Hog and etc.
At an altitude of 1,493 metres (4,898 feet), Saqqez has got the lowest temperature recorded in Iran for a metropolitan area. It has a seasonally varying climate with cold, snowy winters and hot, dry summers. According to the Köppen climate classification Saqqez has a Dsa climate, or the hot summer variety of the Continental Mediterranean climate. During summers, there is a large daily temperature range due to the combination of thin, dry air, produced by the high elevation, and low summertime humidity. During the cold spell of 1969 in Iran, Saqqez recorded a temperature of −36 °C (−33 °F). The temperature remained the lowest ever recorded in Iran by a weather station till Kheirabad Zanjan hit −36.4 °C (−33.5 °F) on January 29 of 1997. Saqqez hit again the temperature of −36 during the 1972 Iran blizzard which lasted from February 3 to February 9, 1972. Based on unofficial but reliable temperature records, Saqqez hit −45.8 °C (−50.4 °F) in December 2006, and −42.3 °C (−44.1 °F) in January 2007 which are the lowest temperatures recorded in meteorological recording history of Iran for a city.
|Climate data for Saqqez, Iran|
|Record high °C (°F)||18.2
|Average high °C (°F)||2.4
|Average low °C (°F)||−8.1
|Record low °C (°F)||−33
|Precipitation mm (inches)||66.6
|Avg. precipitation days (≥ 1.0 mm)||8.5||8.3||10.0||9.8||7.0||1.2||0.7||0.6||0.5||4.3||6.2||8.1||65.2|
|Mean monthly sunshine hours||121.5||142.2||177.4||213.1||287.1||345.1||357.4||344.3||311.1||254.3||174.1||123.4||2,851|
|Source: Synoptic Stations Statistics|
Photo gallery of Saqqez
Saqqez is famous because of its beautiful views in spring, and so many historical sites. Here is some photos of Saqqez's historical bazar, fort and spring:
- Saqqez can be found at GEOnet Names Server, at this link, by opening the Advanced Search box, entering "-3082379" in the "Unique Feature Id" form, and clicking on "Search Database".
- "Census of the Islamic Republic of Iran, 1385 (2006)" (Excel). Islamic Republic of Iran. Archived from the original on 2011-11-11.
- The Cambridge ancient history, Volume 3, Part 2, By Cambridge University Press, see page 565, ISBN 0-521-22717-8
- http://www.irimo.ir Iranian Meteorological Organisation's "Century weather stats data bank"