Sara Maria Danius (born 5 April 1962 in Täby) is a Swedish scholar of literature and aesthetics. Danius is Professor of Aesthetics at Södertörn University and Docent of Literature at Uppsala University.
She received her Master of Arts in Critical Theory at the University of Nottingham in 1989. In 1997 she became a Ph.D. at Duke University, and in 1999 she received a Ph.D. degree at Uppsala University. She has published on the relationship between literature and society, and written about Marcel Proust, Gustave Flaubert and James Joyce.
In March 2013, Danius was elected to be a member of the Swedish Academy, succeeding Knut Ahnlund on chair 7. Danius was formally installed in the academy at a ceremony on 20 December 2013. On 20 December 2014, it was announced that Danius will take over the post as permanent secretary of the academy from Peter Englund on 1 June 2015.
- Försök om litteratur (1998)
- Prousts motor (2000)
- The senses of modernism: technology, perception, and aesthetics, Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2002. ISBN 0-8014-3899-3
- The prose of the world: Flaubert and the art of making things visible, Uppsala: Acta Universitatis Upsaliensis, 2006. ISBN 91-554-6599-4
- Voices: contemporary ceramic art from Sweden, Stockholm: Carlsson, 2006. ISBN 91-7203-778-4
- Proust-Benjamin : om fotografin, 2011. ISBN 97-8918688-305-8
- Näsa för nyheter : essä om James Joyce, 2013. ISBN 97-8918721-902-3
- Den blå tvålen: Romanen och konsten att göra saker och ting synliga, 2013. ISBN 97-8910012-049-8
- Knut Ahnlund, 2014
- Husmoderns död och andra texter, 2014.
- Sara Danius, Svenskt biografiskt lexikon
- Ny ledamot i Svenska Akademien, press release from the Swedish Academy, 7 March 2013 (Swedish)
- DN-medarbetare tar plats i Svenska akademien, Dagens Nyheter 7 March 2013 (Swedish)
- Sara Danius, profile at Södertörn University (Swedish)
- Sara Danius ersätter Peter Englund, Dagens Nyheter 20 December 2014 (Swedish)