Gilbert at The L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's 2014 An Evening with Women 2014
|Born||Sara Rebecca Abeles
January 29, 1975
Santa Monica, California, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Linda Perry (m. 2014)|
|Partner(s)||Allison Adler (2001–11)|
Sara Gilbert (//; born Sara Rebecca Abeles; January 29, 1975) is an American actress, best known for her role as Darlene Conner on the ABC sitcom Roseanne from 1988 to 1997, as co-host and creator of the daytime talk show The Talk and for her recurring role as Leslie Winkle on CBS's The Big Bang Theory.
Gilbert was born Sara Rebecca Abeles in Santa Monica, California. Her parents are Barbara Crane (née Cowan) and Harold Abeles. Her two older half-siblings, Melissa Gilbert and Jonathan Gilbert, were stars of Little House on the Prairie.
Gilbert decided at age six that she wanted to be an actress after her older sister, Melissa Gilbert, got a plaque on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Following appearances in television movies and a commercial for Kool Aid, at thirteen she landed the role of Darlene Conner, the sarcastic middle child, in Roseanne. Sara was a cast member in the show's nine-year run from 1988 to 1997, for which she wrote a fourth-season episode story (the teleplay was written by the Guild Writers for the show) called "Don't Make Me Over". Her contribution was considered so important to Roseanne that the show's producers juggled storylines and taping schedules to allow her to study at Yale University while remaining in the cast, shooting remote segments of Darlene at a soundstage in New York. At Yale, she majored in art with an emphasis on photography; she graduated with honors in 1997.
Gilbert has appeared on The Simpsons, 24, Will & Grace, Law and Order: Special Victims Unit and Private Practice. Starting in 2004, she had a recurring role as smart but sarcastic medical student Jane Figler on the long-running hospital drama ER; her appearances spanned seasons 11-13.
She returned to prime time television in the fall of 2005 in the sitcom Twins on The WB network. The sitcom was canceled after one season, when the WB and UPN networks merged as The CW and dropped a number of shows. She also had a recurring role on the short-lived CBS sitcom The Class as Fern Velch.
From 2007 to 2010 she has appeared in episodes of the CBS TV series The Big Bang Theory as Leslie Winkle, a scientist friend of Leonard Hofstadter played by Johnny Galecki, who had previously played Gilbert's love interest David Healy on Roseanne. In the second episode of the second season of The Big Bang Theory, Gilbert was elevated to the show's main cast, portraying again a potential love interest of Galecki's character, and at one point a love interest to Howard Wolowitz (Simon Helberg). By January 2009, it was announced that the writers did not know how to write for her character full-time and her status was reduced from regular to recurring.
Gilbert appeared in two films alongside Drew Barrymore, in Poison Ivy in 1992 and Riding In Cars With Boys in 2001. Gilbert also had a feature role in Light It Up in 1999. She has had several minor roles following Roseanne, including short film $30 (aka 30 Bucks) as part of the Boys Life 3 feature, and High Fidelity. She directed her short film Persona Non Grata in 1998.
In 2001, Gilbert began a relationship with TV producer Allison Adler. They have two children—a son, Levi Hank, born to Adler in October 2004, and a daughter, Sawyer, born to Gilbert on August 2, 2007. Gilbert publicly came out as a lesbian in 2010. Gilbert and Adler separated amicably in August 2011.
Following the breakup, Gilbert began a relationship with songwriter and former 4 Non Blondes frontwoman Linda Perry. Gilbert announced her engagement to Perry in April 2013. Gilbert and Perry married on March 30, 2014.
|1992||Poison Ivy||Sylvie Cooper||Nominated — Independent Spirit Award for Best Supporting Actress|
|1997||Walkin' on Sunshine: The Movie||NeuralNurse 256|
|1999||Light It Up||Lynn Sabatini|
|2000||The Big Tease||Gretle Dickens|
|2000||High Fidelity||Annaugh Moss|
|2000||Boys Life 3||Emily/Michelle||Short film; Segment: $30|
|2001||Riding in Cars with Boys||Tina Barr|
|2004||Laws of Attraction||Gary Gadget's Assistant||Cameo|
|1988||ABC Weekend Special||Stephie||Episode: "Runaway Ralph"|
|1988–1997||Roseanne||Darlene Conner-Healy||219 episodes
2x Young Artist Award for Outstanding Young Comedienne in a Television Series
|1990||Sudie and Simpson||Sudie Harrigan||TV Movie|
|1992||The Simpsons||Laura Powers||Voice only
Episode: "New Kid on the Block"
|1994||Saturday Night Live||Herself – Host||Episode: "Sara Gilbert/Counting Crows"|
|1996||ABC Afterschool Special||Jessie||Episode: "Me and My Hormones"|
|1997||Broken Record||TV Movie|
|2000–2001||Welcome to New York||Amy Manning||13 episodes|
|2002||24||Paula Schaeffer||5 episodes|
|2003||Will & Grace||Cheryl||Episode: "Fanilow"|
|2004||Strong Medicine||Charlayne||Episode: "Cinderella in Scrubs"|
|2004–2007||ER||Dr. Jane Figler||15 episodes|
|2005||In the Game||Unsold TV-Pilot|
|2005||The Clinic||Mrs. Jennings||Episode: 3.1|
|2005–2006||Twins||Mitchee Arnold||18 episodes|
|2006||Girls on the Bus||Helen||Episode: "Pilot"|
|2006–2007||The Class||Fern Velch||6 episodes|
|2007||Private Practice||Kelly||Episode: "In Which Sam Gets Taken For a Ride"|
|2007–2010||The Big Bang Theory||Leslie Winkle||8 episodes|
|2008||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Caitlyn Ryan||Episode: "Trials"|
|2010||HawthoRNe||Malia Price||3 episodes|
|2010||Grey's Anatomy||Kim||Episode: "Suicide is Painless"|
|2010–present||The Talk||Herself||Recurring, also producer|
|2014||Bad Teacher||Irene Dudek||5 episodes|
- "Sara Gilbert". TVGuide.com. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- "BBC – Drama Faces – Sara Gilbert". Bbc.co.uk. 1975-01-29. Retrieved 2010-10-04.
- "Sara Gilbert Biography". Fancast. 1975-01-29. Retrieved 2010-10-04.[dead link]
- Ausiello, Michael (2009-01-23). "'Big Bang Theory' scoop: Sara Gilbert taken off contract". Ausiellofiles.ew.com. Retrieved 2010-10-04.
- Takeda, Alison (2013-09-13). "Sara Gilbert: I Realized I Was Gay While Dating Johnny Galecki". Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- Peiffer, Kim. "Roseanne's Sara Gilbert Expecting Second Child". People. February 2, 2007. Retrieved July 31, 2007.
- "Sara Gilbert and partner welcome second child". Retrieved 2007-08-06.
- "Sara Gilbert Gives Birth to Baby Girl". Fox News. August 13, 2007. Retrieved November 8, 2009.
- "'Roseanne's' Sara Gilbert confirms she's a lesbian". CNN. July 30, 2010.
- Jordan, Julie. "The Talk's Sara Gilbert, Partner Break Up". People. August 24, 2011. Retrieved August 25, 2011.
- Grossberg, Josh "Sara Gilbert Talks Relationship With Linda Perry on The Talk". E Online. November 30, 2011. Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- Rice, Lynette (2013-04-08). "Sara Gilbert announces engagement on 'The Talk'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2013-04-09.
- Lee, Esther (2014-03-31). "Sara Gilbert and Linda Perry Are Married". US Weekly. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- Sara Gilbert Emmy Nominated
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sara Gilbert.|
- Sara Gilbert on Twitter
- Sara Gilbert at the Internet Movie Database
- Sara Gilbert at the Internet Off-Broadway Database
- Sara Gilbert at Emmys.com