Sarah & Duck
|Sarah & Duck|
|Genre||Children's television series|
|Created by||Sarah Gomes Harris
|Written by||Sarah Gomes Harris
|Directed by||Tim O'Sullivan|
|Voices of||Tasha Lawrence
|Composer(s)||Tim O'Sullivan & Tanera Dawkins|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||2|
|Running time||7 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Karrot Entertainment|
|Original release||18 February 2013 – present|
Sarah & Duck is a British animated children's television series created by Sarah Gomes Harris and Tim O'Sullivan, and produced by Karrot Entertainment for the BBC. Though designed as a story-driven animation primarily targeted at 4-6 year old children, the series has a huge adult audience. It was first broadcast on the UK CBeebies channel on 18 February 2013; a total of 80 episodes have been commissioned, Series 1 and 2 having 40 each.
The series follows the adventures of Sarah, a very kind, polite seven-year-old girl, with big eyes, rosy cheeks and a green hat, and her best friend Duck, a Mallard duck. The central theme is the relationship between these two characters and the adventures they have together. CBeebies state that the show has two learning themes: 'Friendship and imagination' and 'Problem Solving'.
Cast and characters
|Sarah||Tasha Lawrence||Sarah is a very kind, polite seven-year-old girl. She is best friends with Duck. She plays the tuba, likes sea cows and drinks lemon water.|
|Duck||Tim O'Sullivan||Duck is Sarah's quacky, flappy best friend. Duck wants to be a penguin and has a toy robot.|
|Narrator||Roger Allam||The Narrator talks to Sarah & Duck, asks them questions and gives them suggestions.|
|Scarf Lady||Lesley Nicol||Scarf Lady is a forgetful old lady who loves knitting. She lives in a house full of woollen items. She has a talking knitting bag and a pet donkey.|
|Bag||Andy Nyman||Bag is Scarf Lady knitting bag. He corrects Scarf Lady when she gets confused.|
|Donkey||Tim O'Sullivan||Donkey is Scarf Lady's pet. He looks sad but isn't really.|
- The Shallots - Planted by Sarah & Duck in the first episode they live in Sarah's front garden by the door. Voiced by Tim O'Sullivan and Tony Clarke.
- Rainbow - Rainbow makes friends with Sarah & Duck after a rain shower. He is very tickly. Voiced by David Carling.
- Moon - Moon first meets Sarah & Duck at the Big Shop when he is heading to work at night. Voiced by Pete Gallagher.
- Umbrella - Umbrella is scared of the rain. Voiced by Jamie Oram.
- Bug - A large ladybird that lives in Sarah & Duck's house plant and collects buttons.
- Flamingo and John - Alternate versions of Sarah and Duck. John is voiced by Luca Pilkington Massey and Flamingo is voiced by Tim O'Sullivan.
- The Ribbon Sisters - Sarah & Duck's quiet next-door neighbours wear large sunglasses and like to play with ribbons. Voiced by Kiki Brooks.
- Scooter Boy - Scooter Boy has a scooter he never actually rides. Voiced by Dylan Issberner
- Plate Girl - Carries a plate with her at all times. Voiced by Yaeli Miller
- Cake - Helps bake. Voiced by Andy Nyman
A second season began airing on 11 August 2014.
BBC Worldwide have secured global distribution and merchandising rights for the new show and will air it to BBC Worldwide's network of channels. On August 19, 2013, Sarah & Duck was first broadcast in the U.S., on PBS Sprout. The first series of Sarah & Duck has also aired in Japan (NHK), Norway (NRK), Sweden (SVT), Finland (YLE), Germany (KiKa), Portugal (RTP), Iceland (RUV), Holland (NPO) and Israel (HOP).
Series 1 2013
|No.||Title||Original UK air date|
|1||"Lots Of Shallots"||18 February 2013|
|Sarah and Duck find some free seeds in their newspaper and plant them to see what grows.|
|2||"Sarah, Duck And The Penguins"||19 February 2013|
|Duck wants to be a penguin, so Sarah decides it is time for a trip to the zoo.|
|3||"Cheer Up Donkey"||20 February 2013|
|Donkey looks a little sad and Sarah and Duck try to find out why.|
|4||"Cake Bake"||21 February 2013|
|Sarah and Duck try their hand at baking a cake for Duck.|
|5||"Bouncy Ball"||22 February 2013|
|Sarah's brand new bouncy ball has a rather unexpected problem.|
|6||"Robot Juice"||25 February 2013|
|Duck accidentally breaks his favourite toy robot, so Sarah decides to help him improvise while she fixes the robot.|
|7||"Scarf Lady's House"||26 February 2013|
|Scarf Lady welcomes Sarah & Duck to her house full of scarves.|
|8||"Rainbow Lemon"||27 February 2013|
|Sarah & Duck head to a breakfast picnic with a colourful new friend.|
|9||"Sit Shop"||28 February 2013|
|Duck's chair breaks so Sarah & Duck take the bus to the chair shop to look for a new one.|
|10||"Kite Flight"||1 March 2013|
|On a windy day, Sarah and Duck try to get their new kite to fly.|
|11||"Umbrella And The Rain"||18 March 2013|
|Sarah finds an umbrella that doesn't seem to like the rain.|
|12||"Big Shop"||19 March 2013|
|Sarah and Duck visit a large department store, looking for some new toys.|
|13||"Woolen Music"||20 March 2013|
|Scarf Lady's Jukebox inspires Scarf Lady to knit an instrument band.|
|14||"Doubles"||21 March 2013|
|Sarah and Duck try to play a tennis doubles match, but are two players short.|
|15||"Fairground"||22 March 2013|
|A Fairground is being held in the park, but Sarah & Duck can't find their bench.|
|16||"Sarah Gets A Cold"||25 March 2013|
|When Sarah has a cold, Duck helps her enjoy a visit to the doctors.|
|17||"Ribbon Sisters"||26 March 2013|
|Sarah and Duck are exercising but the neighbours need their help.|
|18||"Coloured Light"||28 March 2013|
|Rainbow's colourful glow inspires an art project.|
|19||"Stargazing"||29 March 2013|
|Sarah and Duck are excited about seeing some shooting stars.|
|20||"Strawberry Souffle"||27 March 2013|
|Sarah and Duck work together to make a delicious souffle.|
|21||"Camera"||12 August 2013|
|Inspired by a nature documentary, Sarah and Duck attempt to take photographs of birds.|
|22||"Tapping Shoes"||13 August 2013|
|Sarah needs some new shoes, but picks out a very unusual pair.|
|23||"Bobsleigh"||14 August 2013|
|Sarah and Duck learn to Bobsleigh and have a speedy, snowy adventure with Scarf Lady's help.|
|24||"Fireworks Dance"||15 August 2013|
|A game of hide and seek takes longer than usual when Duck gets scared by some fireworks.|
|25||"Fancy Park"||16 August 2013|
|When their local park is closed, Sarah and Duck try to find a suitable alternative.|
|26||"Pipe Conductor"||19 August 2013|
|Sarah and Duck are woken up by a loud clanging overhead and decide to investigate the noise.|
|27||"Slow Quest"||20 August 2013|
|Tortoise is on a mission straight through Sarah and Duck's house! The pair try to find out what he wants.|
|28||"World Bread Day"||21 August 2013|
|When there's a bread festival in the park, Sarah & Duck find themselves part of an exciting treasure hunt.|
|29||"Pond Princess"||22 August 2013|
|Sarah becomes princess for a day by the ducks in the park because she feeds them so well, so she tries to work out what her royal duties should be!|
|30||"Scared of Stairs"||23 August 2013|
|John and Flamingo get invited around to Sarah and Duck's house, but Sarah and Duck must help John get over his fear of stairs.|
|31||"Balloon Race"||4 November 2013|
|Scarf Lady takes to the skies in a knitted hot air balloon to race against her old sporting friend, the Hat Man.|
|32||"Puncture Pump"||5 November 2013|
|When their tandem bike gets a flat tire, Sarah and Duck hope to get help from the local bike shop.|
|33||"Plate Fog"||6 November 2013|
|Sarah and Duck turn into detectives when their friend, Plate Girl, loses her plate on a foggy day.|
|34||"Moon Paint"||7 November 2013|
|Sarah and Duck give Moon painting lessons after being inspired by a trip to the Art Gallery.|
|35||"The Play"||8 November 2013|
|Sarah and Duck dress up as each other and decide to perform a play!|
|36||"Bread Bike"||11 November 2013|
|Sarah and Duck help the local baker make deliveries.|
|37||"Bug's Button Bank"||12 November 2013|
|Bug's plant is looking droopy, but his button collecting seems to be the cause of the problem...|
|38||"No More Wool"||13 November 2013|
|Scarf Lady has run out of wool so Sarah and Duck help her get more by harvesting some, but not from a sheep, but from a wool-growing tree.|
|39||"Octagon Club"||14 November 2013|
|Sarah decides that octagons are her favorite shape, so she decides to find some things that are that shape. But when she can't find anything that's octagon-shaped, she decides to get her friends to help her.|
|40||"Petal Light Picking"||19 December 2013|
|Sarah wants some special lights for her Christmas tree and Bug knows where she might find some.|
Series 2 2014-15
|No.||Title||Original UK air date|
|41||"Outside Outside"||11 August 2014|
|The Shallots want to explore beyond the front garden, so Sarah comes up with a plan.|
|42||"Umbrella Bubbles"||12 August 2014|
|After getting muddy, Umbrella has to brave his fear of getting wet and take his first bath!|
|43||"Cloud Tower"||13 August 2014|
|A search for shade on a hot day leads Sarah and Duck to discover a fascinating tower in the park.|
|44||"Sound Jumble"||14 August 2014|
|When Sarah hears some interesting music on the radio, she and Duck try and recreate it.|
|45||"The Mouse's Birthday"||15 August 2014|
|Sarah is hoping for a nice, quiet birthday, but does not get her wish once her friends arrive.|
|46||"Tortoise Snooze"||14 October 2014|
|Sarah & Duck help Tortoise prepare to hibernate.|
|47||"Fast Slow Bungalow"||21 October 2014|
|John and Flamingo ask Sarah and Duck over for rice cakes and invite them to play their favourite game.|
|48||"Bags of Bags"||28 October 2014|
|Sarah and Duck help Scarf Lady find her Bag after she misplaces him in the Big Shop.|
|49||"Ribbon Fall"||4 November 2014|
|The Ribbon sisters invite Sarah and her feathered friend to the park for their favourite seasonal event.|
|50||"Garden Gaming"||11 November 2014|
|Duck is getting frustrated with the controls on his computer game, so Sarah creates a more bird-friendly game that Duck can play.|
|51||"Seacow Snow Trail"||16 December 2014|
|Sarah and Duck have received some Christmas presents and are keen to find out who delivered them.|
|52||"Origami Overload"||27 January 2015|
|John is excellent at origami, but he's having a little trouble with his flamingos.|
|53||"Toy Tidy"||29 January 2015|
|Duck is being extremely untidy with his toys, so Sarah works out a way to turn tidying up into a game.|
|54||"The Big Sleepover"||3 February 2015|
|Sarah invites some friends around for a sleepover, but it's hard to sleep when you get to thinking about things.|
|55||"Paisley Sea"||4 February 2015|
|Sarah and Duck's bus is diverted on its way to the zoo, and it makes a couple of important stops underwater.|
|56||"Duck's Quack"||5 February 2015|
|Duck loses his voice, so Sarah sets about getting him a new one.|
|57||"Rainbow's Niece"||6 February 2015|
|Rainbow tells Sarah about his niece, whom he misses very much. So, Sarah and the Cloud Captain work hard to create a rare a Double Rainbow.|
|58||"Decorating Donkey"||10 February 2015|
|It's time for Tortoise to wake up from his sleep, so Sarah and Duck arrange a wake-up party. Donkey, however, finds the decorations very tasty.|
|59||"Duck Hotel"||11 February 2015|
|Duck wins a trip to a fancy duck hotel. Sarah goes along too, but finds it hard to relax when everything is designed for ducks.|
|60||"Parasol Show"||12 May 2015|
|Sarah and Duck accompany umbrella to a parasol show to meet up with his pen pal. Instead, he meets an intriguing new prospect.|
|61||"Extra Bounce"||13 May 2015|
|John has a bouncy ball that is just too bouncy. Sarah and Duck take him to the ball dispenser and encounter many balls that bounce a little differently.|
A pilot for Sarah & Duck was first aired at the Cartoon Forum 2010  where it was warmly received. The series was an immediate hit in the UK, and the first four episodes were the most popular pre-school programmes of their week on the BBC catch-up TV service, iPlayer.
In January 2014 Sarah & Duck was nominated in the pre-school category of the British Animation Awards.
- "Sarah and Duck official site". Karrot Entertainment. 2013. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "Skwigly - Sarah & Duck CBeebies latest hit!". Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- Siti Syameen Md Khalili (2013). "TRENDS: Connecting through humour". New Straits Times. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- BBC Media Centre (2013). "Roger Allam and Lesley Nicol provide voice talent as Sarah & Duck waddles onto CBeebies". BBC. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- Charlotte Scarborough. "Sarah & Duck Series Two commissioned by BBC Worldwide for CBeebies international network". Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- Steve Henderson (2013). "Sarah & Duck – CBeebies latest hit!". Skwigly. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "BBC - CBeebies - Grown-ups - Sarah & Duck". Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "BBC - Media Centre - Roger Allam and Lesley Nicol provide voice talent as Sarah & Duck waddles onto CBeebies". Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Mid Sussex Times - Haywards Heath’s Tasha voices new CBeebies animation". Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "Lesley Nicol - Curriculum Vitae". Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "Toonhound - Sarah and Duck". Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "Sarah and Duck premieres on CBeebies UK". Karrot Animation. 2013. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "BBC Press Office - BBC Worldwide commissions Sarah & Duck for CBeebies around the world".
- "On Screen Asia: BBC Worldwide commissions "Sarah & Duck" S2 for CBeebies". Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "Sarah & Duck Episode Guide - TV.com". Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- "Sarah & Duck Official Facebook". Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "Karrot Annimation - Sarah and Duck launches at cartoon forum". Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "Karrot Animation - Sarah & Duck make the top four slots on BBC iPlayer". Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "Annecy - Official Selection". Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "British Academy Children's Awards listing". Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "BBC News: Bill Nighy nominated for British Animation Award". Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "British Academy Children's Awards listing". Retrieved 27 November 2014.