Sarah Allan (Chinese: 艾蘭; pinyin: Ài Lán; born 1945) is an American scholar of ancient China. She is a Professor of Asian and Middle Eastern Languages and Literatures, and of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies at Dartmouth College; she has taught at the School of Oriental and African Studies at London University. She is best known for her work on the mythological and philosophical systems of the early Chinese civilization.
In her work, Allan has presented an attempt to reconstruct the basic concepts of the mythology of China's Shang dynasty based on evidence from a number of sources: Shang's own inscriptions (primarily on oracle bones, as well as on occasional bronze utensils); myths and stories recorded during the Zhou and Han dynasties that followed the Shang, which appear to be derived from Shang sources; as well as archaeological data.
- Allan, Sarah; Cohen, Alvin P., eds. (1979), Legend, lore, and religion in China: essays in honor of Wolfram Eberhard on his seventieth birthday, Issue 13 of Asian library series, Chinese Materials Center, ISBN 0-89644-584-4
- Allan, Sarah; Barnett, Cherry (1980), China, Schweppes leisure library : Travel, Cassell
- Allan, Sarah (1981), The heir and the sage: dynastic legend in early China, Issue 24 of Asian library series, Chinese Materials Center, ISBN 0-89644-636-0
- Allan, Sarah (1991), The shape of the turtle: myth, art, and cosmos in early China, SUNY series in Chinese philosophy and culture, SUNY Press, ISBN 0-7914-0460-9
- Translated into Chinese as 龜之謎: 商代神話, 祭祀, 兿術和宇宙觀研究 (1992)
- Allan, Sarah (1997), The way of water and sprouts of virtue, SUNY series in Chinese philosophy and culture, SUNY Press, ISBN 0-7914-3386-2
- Translated into Chinese as 水之道与徳之端: 中囯早期哲学思想的本喻 (2002)
- Allan, Sarah; Williams, Crispin, eds. (2000), The Guodian Laozi: proceedings of the international conference, Dartmouth College, May 1998, Issue 5 of Early China special monograph series, The Society for the Study of Early China and Institute of East Asian Studies, University of California, ISBN 1-55729-069-5
- Chang, Kwang-chih; Xu, Pingfang; Allan, Sarah; Lu, Liancheng (2005), Allan, Sarah, ed., The formation of Chinese civilization: an archaeological perspective, Culture & civilization of China, Yale University Press, ISBN 0-300-09382-9