Sarah Kay (poet)
Sarah Kay at TED 2011
June 19, 1988 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
Sarah Kay (born June 19, 1988) is an American poet. Known for her spoken word poetry, Kay is the founder and co-director of Project V.O.I.C.E., founded in 2004, a group dedicated to using spoken word as an educational and inspirational tool.
Kay, a graduate of Brown University, was born in New York to a Japanese American mother and a Jewish American father. She began performing poetry at the Bowery Poetry Club in the East Village at the age of 14, joining their Slam Team in 2006. That year, she was the youngest person competing in the National Poetry Slam in Austin, Texas. In 2007 Kay made her television debut, performing the poem "Hands" on HBO's Def Poetry Jam. She has performed at events and venues like the Lincoln Center, the Tribeca Film Festival, and at the United Nations where she was a featured performer for the launch of the 2004 World Youth Report.
On March 3, 2011, she performed at the TED conference in Long Beach, California as part of a series entitled "Beauty, Imagination, Enchantment." Along with a talk about her upbringing, she performed the poems "B" and "Hiroshima".
Kay performed at The Nantucket Project, a festival of ideas in Nantucket, Massachusetts.
In 2011, Kay published "B", a short hardcover book containing the titular poem, which was originally written in 2007. The book features illustrations by Sophia Janowitz. In March 2014, "No Matter The Wreckage" a collection of poetry from the first decade of her career will be published by Write Bloody Publishing, again featuring illustrations by Sophie Janowitz.
- "Project V.O.I.C.E. - Home". Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- Interview on Radio Open Source, October 7, 2009. Retrieved 2010-06-01
- Interview on Rowan Radio, WGLS 98.7, November 23, 2009. Retrieved 2010-06-01
- Kaufman, Kara (April 20, 2010). "Projecting Their V.O.I.C.E. - sarah kay & phil kaye spread the word". Post. Retrieved 2010-06-05.
- An Origin Story kaysarahsera.com
- Aptowicz, Cristin O'Keefe. (2008) Words in Your Face: A Guided Tour Through Twenty Years of the New York City Poetry Slam. "New York City Poetry Slam Teams from 1990 to 2007" page 369. Soft Skull Press, 288. ISBN 1-933368-82-9.
- "Def Poetry: Sarah Kay". HBO. 2007-02-22. Retrieved 2010-06-01.
- "Project V.O.I.C.E. - About Us". Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- "La Casita at Lincoln Center Out of Doors". 2009-08-09. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- Acumen Fund's *spark! event
- "TED2011: Sarah Kay". Retrieved 2011-03-05.
- Move Over, Boys. Sarah Kay Steals the Show
- "decomP literary magazine". November 2009. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- "DamselFly Press - A Myriad of Women's Voices". 2009-10-13. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- "Foundling Review". 2009-09-04. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- "Sarah Kay's "B" at Amazon.com". Retrieved 2011-11-30.
- Sarah Kay's official website
- Official website of Project V.O.I.C.E.
- Sarah Kay at TED
- TED Talk: If I should have a daughter ... (TED2011)