Sarah Lane (television personality)
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (June 2012)|
October 12, 1976 |
Santa Cruz, California, U.S.
|Years active||2001 – present|
Sarah Christina Lane (born October 12, 1976) is an American television and Internet personality. She is currently most notable for hosting a number of shows on the TWiT.tv network. These shows include Tech News Today along with Mike Elgan (formerly with Tom Merritt until December, 2013), Iyaz Akhtar, and Jason Howell which airs live Monday through Friday, the weekly Apple iPad show iPad Today alongside Leo Laporte, the weekly Apple iPhone show iFive for the iPhone, and the weekly social media show The Social Hour (formerly net@night) with Amber MacArthur.
She was also previously most known from appearances on TechTV's The Screen Savers, G4's Attack of the Show!, and Revision3's popSiren. In 2009, she was the co-host of the This WEEK in FUN podcast, currently on hiatus, with Martin Sargent, also on the TWiT.tv network.
Lane was born in Santa Cruz, California and later grew up in Sebastopol, California. She attended San Francisco State University where she received a bachelor's degree in Broadcast and Electronic Communication Arts in 1998. She referred to herself as a "nice Irish girl" on Net@Nite (Episode 164) a podcast on the Twit Network.
Lane worked several years for KRON-TV in the station's San Jose, California bureau (where the now-defunct KRON/AT&T Broadband-owned 24-hour cable news and local television programming channel Bay TV was based) starting out as a Production Assistant before eventually becoming a series producer-director. She produced weekly half-hour hi-tech newsmagazine programs, a documentary, and wrote for the nightly news.
In February 2001, Lane was hired by TechTV to be a Senior Segment Producer and on-air talent for The Screen Savers, a television show centered around computers, new technologies, and their adaptations in the world.
In April 2004, Lane, along with fellow TechTV personalities Morgan Webb, Laura Swisher, Catherine Schwartz, and Melanie Kim, was included in the "TechTV's Sexiest Techie" poll sponsored by Playboy magazine. TechTV viewers could vote for their favorite girl via the Playboy website, and the winner of the poll would be offered a nude photo spread in a future issue of Playboy. Morgan Webb, who won the poll, did not pose.
On March 25, 2004, Comcast's G4 gaming channel announced a merger with TechTV. This move became hugely controversial among loyal fans of TechTV. Around May 6, G4 announced the termination of 250 employees from the San Francisco office by July 10, 2004, allowing approximately 80 to 100 employees to transition to G4's main office in Los Angeles, California if they agreed to relocate there. Lane chose to stay with G4 and moved to Los Angeles. Lane was one of only six TechTV personalities, including Adam Sessler, Morgan Webb, Kevin Rose, Chi-Lan Lieu, and Brendan Moran, to survive the layoffs resulting from the May 2004 merger of G4 and TechTV.
Lane remained as a senior segment producer and on-air talent for the nightly G4TechTV technology show The Screen Savers. Later, the show would switch gears, becoming the variety show Attack of the Show! where her main involvement revolved around the American entertainment sector. She also produced weekly segments entitled Sarah's Damn Good Website, which showed off amusing or entertaining websites, "Damn Good Downloads", which demonstrated exactly what it sounds like and "Gems of the Internet" which found oddities on the internet. She also produced a daily news segment entitled "The Feed". Lane's last appearance on Attack of the Show! was on April 6, 2006.
Lane was employed as the Director of Production at Revision3 and co-hosted popSiren, a Revision3 original show. She was laid off on October 28, 2008 as part of the Revision3 layoffs but appeared infrequently on Leo Laporte's This Week in Tech podcast as a panelist.
Starting in December 2008, she and Martin Sargent launched a new Friday program from the TWiT Cottage called This Week in Fun, which officially began to be distributed as a feed on April 10, 2009 after several weeks as a beta of live video. For several weeks, Sarah filled in for Amber MacArthur on net@night due to the birth of MacArthur's child Connor. She continued to appear on the program in the last segment via Skype with Laporte and MacArthur.
She also appeared on the 1000th episode special for Attack of the Show! on G4 as a surprise guest. She also appeared on the hundredth episode of The Digg Reel.
On May 30, 2010, Leo Laporte announced that he hired Lane to join the TWiT network. Becky Worley originally co-hosted Tech News Today (TNT) with Tom Merritt from Monday thru Friday. With Worley reducing her time commitments on the TWiT Network, Lane became a daily co-host with Tom. Currently, Tech News Today is co-hosted by Mike Elgan, Sarah Lane and Jason Howell and airs live Monday through Friday. TNT premiered on June 1, 2010.
On March 28, 2011 Amber MacArthur co-hosted the first episode of The Social Hour with Sarah. This weekly podcast focusing on social media replaced net@night with Sarah replacing Leo Laporte as Amber’s co-host.
Sarah Lane married Brendan Moran on May 20, 2006. They both left Attack of the Show! and began a thirteen-month-long honeymoon tour of the world and to pursue other opportunities. As they traveled, she continued updating the world on their adventures via her travel blog.
On December 31, 2008, she publicly announced on her blog that she and Brendan had divorced.
On October 11, 2009, Lane was at a Los Angeles restaurant with a friend when she experienced a severe tonic–clonic seizure, went into spasms and blacked out. It was apparently her first such seizure. She was rushed to a nearby hospital, where she apparently stayed for a couple of days before being diagnosed with a lesion on her brain and eventually put on anti-seizure medications and discharged. Lane wrote on her blog that further diagnosis revealed that neurocysticercosis tumors have developed as a result of her contracting cysticercosis. This may have caused the seizure.
- "Focus on:Sarah". g4tv.com. Retrieved 2008-01-23.
- "Sarah Lane". tv.com. Retrieved 2008-01-23.
- "Media Alert: Playboy.com Gets Wired to Find the Sexiest TechTV Babe". g4tv.com. Retrieved 2008-01-23.
- Comcast Fires TechTV Staff
- Sarah. word.: Countdown to Armageddon
- sarah. word.: Sarah rises from couch, puts pint of ice cream back in freezer
- Monday (2008-10-27). "An amazing Sarah Lane creation - Recent - "Look Ma, I'm a Free Agent", A Short Story by Sarah Lane". sarahlane.com. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "An amazing Sarah Lane creation - Recent". sarahlane.com. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Tech News Today - The Official TWiT Wiki". Wiki.twit.tv. Retrieved 2014-01-08.
- "Tech News Today". Twit.Tv. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "iPad Today". Twit.Tv. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "iFive for the iPhone". Twit.Tv. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Net@night - The Official TWiT Wiki". Wiki.twit.tv. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- April 5, 2007 (2007-04-05). "The Traveling Morans’ Guide To Video Podcasting | Matador Network". Bravenewtraveler.com. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "sarahlane". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Sarah Lane's Travel Blog
- Wednesday (2008-12-31). "An amazing Sarah Lane creation - Recent - So Long, 2008". sarahlane.com. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Tuesday (2009-10-13). "An amazing Sarah Lane creation - Recent - I had a grand mal seizure. Want to hear?". sarahlane.com. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Sunday (2009-11-01). "An amazing Sarah Lane creation - Recent - Sarah, the Goddess of Brain Tumors (part 2)". sarahlane.com. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- TWiT 312. "TWiT 312". TWiT 312.
- iPad Today 138. "iPad Today 138". iPad Today 138.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sarah Lane.|
- Sarah's personal blog (has not been updated since late 2010)
- Sarah's Travel blog
- Sarah's Twitter Stream
- iPad Today
- iFive for the iPhone