||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
Monette at the Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo in 2014
|Born||Oak Ridge, Tennessee|
|Pen name||Katherine Addison|
|Notable awards||2003 Gaylactic Spectrum Award|
Sarah Monette is an American novelist and short story author writing mostly in the genres of fantasy and horror. She was born and raised in Oak Ridge, Tennessee and she began writing at the age of 12. In 2004 she earned a PhD in English literature, specializing in Renaissance Drama and writing her dissertation on ghosts in English Renaissance revenge tragedy. She double-majored in Classics and Literature (a cross-departmental program between French, English, and Comparative Literature) in college.
She won the Spectrum award in 2003 for her short story "Three Letters from the Queen of Elfland." Her first novel, Mélusine was published by Ace Books in August 2005, earning starred reviews in Publishers Weekly and Booklist and a place in Locus's Recommended Reading list for 2005. The sequel, The Virtu, followed in July 2006, also earning starred reviews and making Locus's Recommended Reading lists for 2006. Her short stories have been published in Strange Horizons, Alchemy, and Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet, among other venues, and have received four Honorable Mentions from The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror, edited by Ellen Datlow, Gavin Grant, and Kelly Link. Her poem "Night Train: Heading West" appeared in The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror XIX, and a story she co-wrote with 2005 Campbell winner Elizabeth Bear, "The Ile of Dogges," appeared in The Year's Best Science Fiction, edited by Gardner Dozois, in 2007. She also has been published in the award-winning Postscripts.
In November 2009 it was announced on her weblog that her novel The Goblin Emperor would be released under the pseudonym Katherine Addison.
- Mélusine (Ace Books, 2005)
- The Virtu (Ace Books, 2006)
- The Mirador (Ace Books, 2007)
- Corambis (Ace Books, 2009)
- A Companion to Wolves [with Elizabeth Bear] (Tor Books, October 2007)
- The Tempering of Men [with Elizabeth Bear] (Tor Books, August 2011)
As Katherine Addison
- The Goblin Emperor (Tor Books, April 2014)
- "After the Dragon", Fantasy Magazine (January 2010)
- "Amante Dorée", Paradox Magazine 10 (Winter 2006)
- "Ashes, Ashes" All Hallows: The Journal of the Ghost Story Society
- "The Bone Key" SAY... What's the Combination? (May 2007)
- "Boojum" [with Elizabeth Bear]. Fast Ships, Black Sails, eds. Jeff and Ann VanderMeer, Night Shade Books
- "Bringing Helena Back" All Hallows: The Journal of the Ghost Story Society 35 (February 2004)
- "Draco campestris" Strange Horizons (August 2006)
- "Drowning Palmer" All Hallows: The Journal of the Ghost Story Society 41 (February 2006)
- "Elegy for a Demon Lover" Tales of the Unanticipated 26 (October 2005)
- "A Gift of Wings" The Queen in Winter Ace Books, 2006
- "The Green Glass Paperweight" Tales of the Unanticipated 25 (August 2004)
- "The Half-Sister" Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet 15 (January 2005)
- "The Ile of Dogges" (with Elizabeth Bear). Aeon 7 (May 2006)
- "The Inheritance of Barnabas Wilcox" Lovecraft's Weird Mysteries 7 (May 2004)
- "Katabasis: Seraphic Trains" Tales of the Unanticipated 27 (2006)
- "Letter from a Teddy Bear on Veterans' Day" Ideomancer 5.3 (September 2006)
- "A Light in Troy" Clarkesworld Magazine 1 (October 2006)
- "Listening to Bone" The Bone Key, Prime Books, 2007
- "Mongoose" (with Elizabeth Bear), 2009
- "National Geographic On Assignment: Mermaids of the Old West." Fictitious Force 2 (Spring 2006)
- "A Night in Electric Squidland" Lone Star Stories 15 (June 2006)
- "No Man's Land" Fictitious Force
- "Queen of Swords" Alienskin Magazine (November 2003)
- "The Replacement" The Willows (October 2008)
- "The Séance at Chisholm End" Alchemy Magazine 3 (May 2006)
- "Sidhe Tigers" Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet 13 (November 2003)
- "Somewhere Beneath Those Waves Was Her Home" Fantasy Magazine (2007)
- "Straw" Strange Horizons (June 2004)
- "Three Letters from the Queen of Elfland" Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet 11 (November 2002)
- "Under the Beansidhe's Pillow" Lone Star Stories 22 (August 2007)
- "The Venebretti Necklace" Alchemy Magazine 2 (September 2004)
- "Wait for Me" Naked Snake Online (September 2004)
- "The Wall of Clouds" Alchemy Magazine 1 (December 2003)
- "White Charles" Clarkesworld Magazine (September 2009)
- "Sarah Monette: Tangents and Curlicues". Locus Online. 2008-04. Retrieved 2014-04-12. Check date values in:
- Nolen, Larry (2007-08-03). "Interview with Sarah Monette, Part I". Of Blog. Retrieved 2014-05-12.
- "2003 Awards". Gaylactic Spectrum Awards. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Mélusine". Publishers Weekly. 2005-07-11. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Recommended Reading: 2005". Locus Magazine. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Recommended Reading: 2006". Locus Magazine. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) Collection". Northern Illinois University. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- Sarah Monette (2009-11-13). "Announcement". Notes from the Labyrinth. livejournal.com. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- Official website
- The Sarah Monette Papers at Northern Illinois University
- Sarah Monette at Fantasy Literature
- Sarah Monette at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Sarah Monette at Library of Congress Authorities, with 7 catalog records
- Katherine Addison at LC Authorities, with 1 record