Sarah Walker (BMX rider)
In the 2008 season UCI Rounds, Walker won seven races, came 2nd in one race and didn't race two races. She was ranked number one in the world by the UCI in 2008, and was one of the favourites to win the BMX women's event at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, in the end she finished 4th.
Walker has won a total of twelve New Zealand 20" titles from 1999 to 2011.
At the 2010 BMX World Championship in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa, Walker finished second in the Elite Women's event, with first place going to Shanaze Reade. A crash during the Elite Cruiser event meant that Walker was not able hold on to her 2009 championship title.
In 2011, Walker made the podium in three out of four World Cup Events to win the Overall World Cup Title, winning the Papendal Supercross in the Netherlands, 2nd at the Test Event in London and 3rd in South Africa. The fourth event was in USA where she finished 6th.
At the 2012 Supercross in Norway, Walker dislocated her shoulder which almost put her out of contention for the Olympics in London. After 6 weeks, she had to qualify for the Olympics at the World Championships in Birmingham, England where she did so with a 5th in the semi final.
As well as competing in BMX events around the world, Walker has also been a sports ambassador for Beef + Lamb New Zealand since 2008. She is a sponsored rider for Avanti Bikes, using their line of ABD BMX bikes when racing.
Walker started her Olympic career in Beijing at the 2008 Summer Olympics, in the Women's BMX. In the medals race, she ran a time of 38.805, finishing 4th. In the same event at the 2012 Summer Olympics she got a silver medal, with a time of 38.644.
- Shanks, Katee (24 September 2012). "Kawerau out in force to welcome Sarah Walker home". Rotorua Daily Post. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Caspari, Abigail (5 September 2005). "Riding her way to success". Rotorua Daily Post. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- 2008 UCI BMX rankings: Individual Ranking - Women Elite. Overall Ranking
- "Kiwi wins World BMX crown". Stuff.co.nz. 25 July 2009. Retrieved 7 November 2011.
- "BMX: Walker double world champ". The New Zealand Herald. NZPA. 27 July 2009. Retrieved 7 November 2011.
- "Sarah Walker claims silver at BMX world champs". Stuff.co.nz. 1 August 2010. Retrieved 7 November 2011.
- http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10808803=BMX: No medal but plenty of relief for Sarah Walker nzherald.co.nz
- Sports Ambassador: Sarah Walker
- Sarah Walker: Queen of the Track