Sarah Williams (1837–1868) was an English poet, most famous as the author of "The Old Astronomer", also known as "The Old Astronomer to His Pupil".
A segment of her poem is used in the introduction to Ian Rankin's novel Set in Darkness.
- Though my soul may set in darkness,
- it will rise in perfect light.
- I have loved the stars too fondly
- to be fearful of the night.
- ^ _Best Loved Poems of the American People_, Hazel Felleman, ed. Garden City Publishing Co., Garden City NY: 1936, pp. 613-614