Saratoga High School (California)
|Saratoga High School|
|20300 Herriman Avenue
Saratoga, California, 95070
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Los Gatos-Saratoga Joint Union High School District|
|Athletics conference||Santa Clara Valley Athletic League|
|Communities served||Saratoga, Monte Sereno, Los Gatos|
|Feeder schools||Redwood Middle School|
Saratoga High School is a public high school in Saratoga, California, United States. It is part of the Los Gatos-Saratoga Joint Union High School District. The school is jointly accredited by the California Department of Education and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Student enrollment averages around 1350. U.S. News & World Report ranked Saratoga as the 152nd best public high school in America.
The Saratoga High School Marching Band performed in the 86th Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on November 22, 2012.
Saratoga Football has won five CIF Central Coast Section championships: 1973, 1976, 1980, 1987, 1996. Because of complaints from residents, lights for the football field were not installed until 2006. In the past, the team has had to play at Los Gatos High School. In April 2006, the Trustees of the Los Gatos-Saratoga Joint Union High School District approved permanent lights for the football field. Nearby West Valley College has been blocked from both lights and even stadium seating since the campus was constructed in 1974.
SHS Baseball won a Division II CCS championship in 1999.
At the 2005 National Grade Level Chess Championships in Houston, the 9th graders were national champions.( The team won the NorCal State Championship 6 consecutive years (2004–2010).
Saratoga High School is also home of International Thespian Society Troupe #6354. Every year, the members of Troupe #6354 travel down to Ontario and participate in multiple events at the Southern California Thespian Conference. The department produces a musical every spring, and a straight play in the fall.
National History Bee and Bowl
McAfee Performing Arts and Lecture Center
The McAfee Performing Arts and Lecture Center, a community facility, was completed on the campus around 2005. It was originally planned for the early 1960s but construction was postponed and the funds used for seismic upgrades to the Los Gatos campus. Public and private funds were raised 40 years later and it was scheduled to open in early-2004, but budget and construction delays pushed the completion date back to August, 2005. The center is named after Saratoga residents Eric McAfee and Marguerite McAfee, who donated $1 million toward its construction. The lecture center is now being operated by Adrian Stapleton, a stage tech director.
Suicide of Audrie Pott: Saratoga High School Rape Case
- Steven Spielberg (1965) - Academy Award winner for Best Director for Schindler's List (1993) and Saving Private Ryan (1998). Other Spielberg films include Jaws (1975), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982), and Jurassic Park (1993)
- Lance Guest (1978) - Actor best known for his role as Alex Rogan in 1984's The Last Starfighter
- Ed Solomon (1978) - Actor, Director, Writer and Producer
- David Warshofsky (1979) - American actor best known for appearances in There Will Be Blood, Public Enemies, Taken, and many other films.
- Bill Haselman (1984) - Major League Baseball player
- Lee Hancock (1985) - Major League Baseball player (Pittsburgh Pirates)
- Mark Arnold (1984) - self-published author
- Carrie Steinseifer (1986) - multiple Gold Medals in swimming - including the 100 meter freestyle at 1984 Olympics
- Zach Gill (1993) - musician, keyboardist with Jack Johnson
- Patrick Vlaskovits (1994) - New York Times bestselling author of The Lean Entrepreneur
- Vienna Teng (1996) - popular singer-songwriter
- Patricia Miranda (1997) - Bronze medalist in wrestling in the summer 2004 Olympics
- Beth Lisick (1987) - spoken-word artist and author of several books, including the best-sellers Helping Me Help Myself
- Mark Ames (1983) - journalist
- "Saratoga High School in SARATOGA, CA | Best High Schools | US News". Education.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com. 2014. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- "Saratoga News - News | 0618 | Wednesday, April 26, 2006". Community-newspapers.com. 2006-04-26. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- [dead link]
- "Chess team breaks six-year win streak at state tournament". Saratoga Falcon. 2011-04-26. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- "Little known chess team aims for sixth straight state championship". Saratoga Falcon. 2010-03-23. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- "Results for the 2015 National History Bee & Bowl". National History Bee & Bowl. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- Burleigh, Nina. "Sexting, Shame and Suicide." Rolling Stone. September 17, 2013. Retrieved on November 4, 2013.
- "Saratoga News | 0536 | September 7, 2005". Community-newspapers.com. 2005-09-07. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- "New defendant added to suit in Audrie Pott death". Bay City News (Saratoga, California: ABC News). July 26, 2013. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- "Audrie Pott's parents agree to settle with two defendants". Bay City News (Saratoga, California: ABC News). August 9, 2013. Retrieved October 22, 2013.