Saratoga and North Creek Railway
|Saratoga and North Creek Railway|
|Saratoga and North Creek train at the Saratoga Springs station|
|Locale||Warren and Saratoga counties, New York, USA|
|Built by||Adirondack Railway|
|Original gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm)|
|Preserved gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm)|
|1889||D&H acquires the railroad|
|1999||Upper Hudson River Railroad began operating|
|2010||Upper Hudson River Railroad closed|
|2011||Saratoga and North Creek Railway began operation|
|Headquarters||Saratoga Springs, New York|
The Saratoga and North Creek Railway operates over former Adirondack Railway trackage built by Thomas C. Durant in 1871. North Creek station is where Theodore Roosevelt learned he was to become president of the United States of America after President William McKinley was assassinated in 1901. During World War II, magnetite, ilmenite, and titanium were shipped by rail from Tahawus by the Delaware and Hudson Railway (D&H). The D&H, which acquired the Adirondack Line from William West Durant in 1889, ran through this region until September 1989 when the mine at Tahawus closed.
In 1998, the line was purchased by Warren County with plans to operate an excursion train to improve tourism and economic development in the area. In 1999, the Upper Hudson River Railroad began operating excursion trains south from North Creek to Riverside Station in Riparius. The Upper Hudson River Railroad lost their contract with Warren County on December 31, 2010, ending 11 years of operation.
On April 8, 2011, it was announced that Iowa Pacific Holdings (IPH) would take over operation of the route effective July 1, 2011. As part of the agreement, IPH agreed to operate a minimum of 182 tourist-oriented passenger trains over the line. IPH began operating trains on July 14, 2011 as the Saratoga and North Creek Railroad. Unlike the Upper Hudson River Railroad, the Saratoga and North Creek operates over the entire 57 miles (92 km) between Saratoga Springs, New York and North Creek.
With the creation of the Saratoga and North Creek Railway, regularly scheduled service returns to the line for the first time since the D&H ceased freight operations on November 17, 1989.
On May 14, 2012, IPH received permission from the Surface Transportation Board to restore freight service on the derelict north end of the line as far as Newcomb, New York. Freight service began on the line in February 2013.
On August 2, 2013, the rear locomotive of an SNCRR train derailed in Thurman. No injuries were reported, but the railroad was closed temporarily to allow for repairs.
Regularly scheduled service runs once each day Friday through Monday from July 1 to October 31 and on Saturdays and Sundays during the fall and spring. The trip takes 2 hours and 12 minutes.
A separate service, the Snow Train, runs on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays during the winter. Unlike the summer trains, the Snow Train has two trains each day in both directions.
The North End Local runs a shorter route between Thurman and North Creek twice a day on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays in July and August. All other trains run the full length of the line between Saratoga Springs and North Creek.
- "Iowa Pacific may reopen line in New York State". Trains Magazine. December 17, 2010. Retrieved April 9, 2011.
- "Iowa Pacific gets go-ahead to operate Upper Hudson River Railroad". Trains Magazine. April 8, 2011. Retrieved April 9, 2011.
- Nemeth, Tom (August 2011). "The Buzz in the Adirondacks". Railpace Newsmagazine.
- John Sesonske, Tom Trencansky (August 2011). "Saratoga & North Creek Debuts Operations". Railpace Newsmagazine.
- Thompson, Maury (May 14, 2012). "Federal board OKs rail freight line between North Creek and Newcomb". Post Star. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- Post, Paul (20 Feb 2013). "Saratoga & North Creek Railway now hauling freight". The Saratogian. Retrieved 16 June 2014.
- Post, Paul (6 August 2013). "Saratoga & North Creek Railway closes after train goes off track". The Saratogian. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "Summer & Fall Schedule". Saratoga & North Creek Railway. Retrieved 16 June 2014.
- Snow Train Timetable
- North End Local
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Saratoga and North Creek Railway.|