Sardar Patel Vidyalaya
|Sardar Patel Vidyalaya|
Knowledge is the sole undiminishing wealth
|Lodhi Road, New Delhi, India|
|Established||April 1, 1957|
|Principal||Ms Anuradha Joshi|
|Number of students||approximately 2000|
Sardar Patel Vidyalaya (SPV) is a school in New Delhi, India, located in the heart of the city at Lodi Estate. It has 1500 students from the nursery level to the 12th grade, with 200 teachers and supporting staff members.
It is perhaps the only private school in India that employs Hindi as a medium of instruction in the primary school. Though primarily subjects such as Math, science and social studies are taught in Hindi, students are taught 'technical terms' which are the English counterparts of whatever they learnt. This equips them to proficiently use the same in both languages.
Students are provided instruction in four languages. English is the medium of education from the 6th grade onwards. Hindi and Sanskrit are mandatory until the 8th grade. In the 9th grade, students are asked to choose between Hindi and Sanskrit.
The objective of this policy is to produce young citizens who are not only bilingual but also equi-lingual in Hindi—national link language—and English—international link language. The students have to choose a fourth language from Tamil, Gujarati, Urdu or Bengali. This helps the student acknowledge the richness of the Indian culture. It shares an equal status with music where songs in these languages are often taught.
The school has football, basketball, volleyball and cricket teams, and has produced many top class cricketers who have played for the national or the Ranji squads, including Ajay Jadeja, Rahul Sanghvi, Gagan Khoda, Deep Dasgupta, Murali Kartik, and Vivek Razdan.
Every year Activity Week is held in the school in which the school's four houses i.e. Shakti, Neeti, Jyoti and Pragati compete. During the sports week events like 100 m, 200 m, 400 m, 800 m and 1500 m race, shot put, javelin throw, discus throw, high jump, long jump and triple jump are held. Inter house basketball, football, volleyball and chess matches are also held. An inter-house sports quiz is held.
- Vibha Parthasarathy
- Raghu Nayak
- Y K Mago (officiating)
- Mukesh Shelath
- Kusum Lata Warikoo
- Vijaya Subramaniam (officiating)
- Anuradha Joshi (2007–present)
SPV has produced a number of Rhodes Scholars. In 2006, for example, three of the five Indian Rhodes Scholars were alumna of SPV. In 2005, two of the six were alumni.
- Shalini Randeria, anthropologist, first female Rhodes scholar from India
- Sanjay Subramanyam, historian
- Papia Sengupta, political scientist
Arts and media
- Varun Badola, television actor
- Nandita Das, film actress, director
- Richa Chadda, Movie actress, Filmfare awardee
- Shahana Goswami, Bollywood actress
- Ketan Mehta, film director
- Pakhi Tyrewala, actress
- Siddharth Narayan, actor
- Poorna Jagannathan, Hollywood and Bollywood actor and producer
- Anusha Rizvi, Bollywood film director
- Suraj Sharma, film actor
- Swara Bhaskar, Bollywood actress 
- Suhasini Haider , Journalist and News Anchor
- S. Ramadorai, CEO, Tata Consultancy Services and recipient of the Padma Bhushan
- Sanjay Jain, Chief Strategy Officer, WNS Global Services
- Sanjay Mehrotra , CEO , SanDisk
- Vineeta Rai, Indian Administrative Service officer; former Revenue Secretary, Government of India
- T.C.A.Ananth, Chief Statistician of India
Science and technology
- Deep Dasgupta, Indian cricket team
- Ajay Jadeja, Indian cricket team and TV commentator
- Gagan Khoda, Indian cricket team
- Vivek Razdan, Indian cricket team
- Rahul Sanghvi, Indian cricket team
- Murali Kartik, Indian cricket team
- Bishwajit Bhattacharyya, Former Addl. Solicitor General of India
- Kaushik Moitra, Partner, TMT Law Practice
- Two grandsons of the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and a granddaughter of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee have studied at the school.
- Smriti Irani, minister of human resource development has her kids studying there
- "I am dyslexic: Pakhi Tyrewala". The Times of India. Dec 18, 2010.
- "Personal Agenda: Swara Bhaskar, actress". Hindustan Times. Nov 29, 2013. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- "Financial Express article on Vineeta Rai".