||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Italian Wikipedia. (March 2012)|
Sardinian nationalism is a social and political movement in Sardinia demanding more autonomy, or even independence, from Italy. It also promotes the re-discovery of Sardinian heritage, traditions, culture and languages.
The movement has its roots on the left of the political spectrum, but over the years Sardist parties from different ideological backgrounds have emerged. The first two Sardist parties, the Sardinian Action Party (PSd'Az) and the Sardinian League (LS), were launched between the two world wars.
The PSd'Az, which were pretty strong in the 1940s[vague], had a comeback in the 1980s. In the 1984 regional election the party won 13.8% of the vote and, due to its pivotal role in the newly elected Regional Council, Sardist Mario Melis was President of Sardinia from 1984 to 1989.
According to a poll commissioned by the University of Cagliari in collaboration with that of Edinburgh, 40% of Sardinians would be in favour of the independence, whilst the remaining 60% wants a larger autonomy in the form of "sovereignity"; these numerical data have been exposed by Carlo Pala, a professor of political science at the University of Sassari. However, political support (in terms of the number of votes all the Sardist parties have gained up to now) is little.
Things changed a little as the elections in 2014 have been held: in fact, there were fifteen Sardist parties of different connotations (autonomist and independentist) which took part to the electoral competition, but yet again, because of their number and political fragmentation, they didn't manage to win as many seats as they were initially supposed to, despite the combined result of all of them being around 26/27%; they won eight seats in the Sardinian regional council.
- Antonio Lepori, Antonello Satta e Giovanni Lilliu Sardigna a MINORANZE num. 4, Milà, trimestre 1976.
- Antonello Satta - (1977) L'autonomia della Sardigna come mistificazione.
- Imma Tubella i Casadevall e Eduard Vinyamata Camp - (1978) Les nacions de l'Europa capitalista - La Magrana, Barcelona.
- Rolando del Guerra e Genoveva Gómez - (1986) Llengua, dialecte, nació, ètnia (Llengua i poder a Itàlia) - La Magrana, Col. Alliberament, 19 Barcelona.
- Xosé M. Núñez Seixas - (1998) Movimientos nacionalistas en Europa en el siglo XX - Ed. Síntesis, Col. Historia Universal Contemporánea, 26 Madrid.
- Gianfranco Contu - (1990) La questione nazionale sarda - Quartu Sant'Elena, Alfa Editrice
- Bachisio Bandinu - (2010) Pro s'Indipendentzia - Edizioni il Maestrale
- Regional Council of Sardinia
- La Sardegna vuole l'indipendenza, favorevoli quattro sardi su dieci - Controcampus.it
- Il 40% dei sardi è per l'indipendenza; il resto è per la la sovranità - Gianfranco Pintore
- Push in Sardinia for online vote on independence from Italy - Russia Today
- Indipendentismo, secessionismo, federalismo: conversazione con Carlo Pala
- A Fight to Steer Sardinia - By Antony Shugaar (New York Times)
- Galassia sardista al 26 per cento
- El independentismo, fuerza al alza en Sardinia - Sortu
- Vuit diputats sobiranistes entren per sorpresa al parlament sard - VilaWeb
- L'independentisme sard fa un bon paper però guanya el centreesquerra - El Punt Avui
- Tèrratrem en Sardenha - Jornalet, Gaseta Occitana d'informacions
- iRS - Indipendentzia Repubrica de Sardigna
- Sardinian Action Party
- Sardigna Natzione Indipendentzia
- ProgReS - Progetu Repùblica de Sardigna
- A Manca pro s'Indipendentzia
- U.R.N. Sardinnya