|Type||Privately held company|
|Industry||Cheese and food production, marketing|
|Founded||Plymouth, Wisconsin, 1953|
|Headquarters||Plymouth, Wisconsin, United States|
|Key people||Louis Gentine, CEO|
|Products||Packaged food, Dairy products|
|Revenue||Sales are over $600 million annually|
|Owners||The Gentine Family|
|Employees||1,300 (2008 estimate)|
Sargento Foods Inc. is an American food producer best known for its cheese. It was established in 1953 in Plymouth, Wisconsin by Leonard Gentine and Joseph Sartori. Sargento is one of the largest privately held companies in the United States, and is one of the largest retail cheese companies in the U.S. The company offers profit sharing, tuition reimbursement and benefits for its employees.
It was the first company to sell packaged shredded cheese, and the first to develop zippered packaging for its cheeses. The company also produces and markets specialty cheeses, which it purveys on its website and in catalogs. Additional products include sauces, snack cheeses and snack foods, and the company also manufactures custom cheese and food products for corporate clients.
- Sargento Foods, Inc. (2012). Pizza Recipes. Publications International. ISBN 1450852114
- Publications International Staff (2010). Sargento Mac and Cheese Recipes. Publications International, Limited. ISBN 1450801080
- Strategic Management - Michael A. Hitt. p. 143.
- Wisconsin Cheese: A Cookbook and Guide to the Cheeses of Wisconsin - Martin Hintz, Pam Percy
- Sheboygan County: 150 years of progress, an illustrated history - Janice Hildebrand
- Wisconsin Cheese: A Cookbook and Guide to the Cheeses of Wisconsin - Martin Hintz, Pam Percy. p. 248.
- Plymouth. p. 67.
- The Leadership Experience - Richard L. Daft. p. 436.
- Plunketts Food Industry Almanac 2008: The Only Comprehensive Guide to Food ...
- Hoover's MasterList of Major U.S. Companies - Gary Hoover, Hoover's
- Plunketts Food Industry Almanac 2008: The Only Comprehensive Guide to Food Companies and Trends. p. 483.