|Birth name||Michael Owusu Addo|
July 10, 1988 |
|Genres||Hip hop, Hiplife, Azonto|
|Labels||Duncwills Entertainment , Sarkcess Music|
Michael Owusu Addo (born July 10, 1988), better known by his stage name Sarkodie, is a Ghanaian hip hop and hiplife recording artist from Tema. He won the Best International Act: Africa category at the 2012 BET Awards, and was nominated in the same category at the 2014 BET Awards. Many Ghanaians recognize him as one of the leading hip hop and hiplife artists in the country. He is considered one of the major proponents of the Azonto genre and dance.
Sarkodie, the fourth of five children, was born and raised in Tema to his mother Emma Maame Aggrey, a single parent. Sarkodie started rap at a very young age and throughout his education right from preparatory school till when he gained his degree in Graphic Designing from IPMC.
Sarkodie began his instrumental career as an underground rapper, he appeared on popular rap competition "Kasahare Level" on Adom FM saw him knocking out several other rappers. It was through these rap battles that he met his former manager Duncan Williams of Duncwills Entertainment. He also met Edem and Castro who introduced him to Hammer of the Last Two, a well known producer. Hammer, impressed with Sarkodie’s unique ability featured him on two songs off rapper Edem’s Volta Regime album. After this exposure, Sarkodie recorded his debut album "Ma Kye". The first single "Baby" featuring Mugees of the duo group R2Bees became an instant hit and made Sarkodie a household name in the music industry.
Recognition and musical style
Sarkodie often raps in his native language Twi, and is considered a "multifaceted rapper" due to the various musical styles he possess. In 2010, he received many awards and nominations ranging from "Artist of the Year" to "Album of the Year". His sophomore album, Rapperholic, was the recipient of 3 Ghana Music Awards from 12 nominations. He is a brand ambassador for Samsung Mobile. In 2013, he signed an endorsement deal with FanMilk Ghana. Sarkodie is currently in partnership with Tigo Telecommunications Ghana, a brand that sponsored the 2013 Rapperholic tour. He has his own clothing line called "Sark by Yas clothing line". He was ranked 8th on Forbes and Channel O's 2013 list of the Top 10 Richest/Bankable African Artistes. He is the first Ghanaian to win the BET Awards for "Best International Act Africa". Sarkodie has had the privilege of performing on the same stage with international musicians such as T-Pain, Miguel, Movado, Trey Songz,and Ludacris. He has a large fan base in Africa, and is considered one of the most celebrated musical icons to hail from Ghana.
Sarkodie launched his The Sarkodie Foundation on 13 July 2013, tasked with the mission of supporting underprivileged children. As part of activities on the day he made generous donation to Royal Seed Home orphanage at Kasoa, in the Central Region. Sarkodie presented to the orphanage items worth thousands of Ghana Cedis. Sarkodie partnered with Samsung, Fan Milk, Shoprite, Indomie, Tigo and Coca Cola to reach out to the orphanage.
On the 25th of December 2014, The Sarkodie Foundation embarked on a feeddakids campaign in Tema, where they provided thousands of kids with kids eight (8) sacks of Rice, Yogurt, Can Drinks. They also gave away School Bags, Water bottles, Hats and many more goodies. The CEO of TiGo Mrs. Roshi Motman was also in attendance to support The Sarkodie Foundation.
Sarkodie has also established himself as a successful entrepreneur. He is the founder of the urban clothing brand Sark collection along with YAS. Sark collection has clothing lines and accessories for men, women and children. The clothing line was founded in 2013. In 2012 ,Sarkodie was officially unveiled as the Brand Ambassador for Samsung Electronics at the “You Know what time it is” concert at the University of Ghana, Legon. As part of the event Samsung unveiled Samsung Galaxy Pocket and the Chief Hero phones that had customized wallpaper of Sarkodie and his signature and users had the opportunity to download exclusive tracks of Sarkodie. Sarkodie in partnership with Samsung also launched the obidi chief headphones.
- 2013: T.M.G
Awards and nominations
- "About Sarkodie". MTV. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "Sarkodie". ameyawdebrah.com. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "BET Awards 2012: The Winners". bet.com. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- "Sarkodie Detailed Biography". Ghana Web. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- "Sarkodie wins Best International Act at BET Awards". myjoyonline.com. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Sarkodie". Ghana Celebrities.com. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- "Samsung unveils Ghanaian music star Sarkodie as Brand Ambassador". GBN. 12 November 2012. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Sarkodie goes ‘milky’ with endorsement deal from Fan Milk Ghana". Ghanaweb. 23 January 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Sarkodie visits Tigo offices". Business Ghana. 24 July 2013. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- "Sarkodie launches his Sark by Yas clothing line". SpyGhana. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Wizkid richer than 2Face, Banky W – Forbes". The City Reporters. 2 September 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "Sarkodie Makes Forbes Top 10 Richest Africa Artistes". The Chronicle. 3 September 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "sarkodie". Ghanacelebrities.com. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "Sarkodie foundation donates to royal seed orphanage". July 13, 2013. Retrieved July 13, 2013.
- "Sarkodie foundation donates to royal seed orphanage". December 25, 2014. Retrieved December 25, 2014.
- "Sarkodie launches Sark collection fashion show night". 27 April 2013. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Sarkodie unveiled as Samsung's brand ambassador". 11 November 2012. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Sarkodie branded headphones now on sale". 10 December 2012. Retrieved 10 December 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sarkodie (rapper).|