KiHa 183 series DMU on a Sarobetsu service, July 2006
|Service type||Limited express|
|Current operator(s)||JR Hokkaido|
|Line used||Hakodate Main Line, Sōya Main Line|
|Rolling stock||KiHa 183 series DMUs|
|Operating speed||120 km/h (75 mph) (max.)|
The Sarobetsu (サロベツ?) is a limited express train service between Sapporo and Wakkanai in Hokkaido, which is operated by Hokkaido Railway Company (JR Hokkaido). One train per day operates in each direction, with the journey taking approximately five and a half hours. The train operates over the same route as the Super Sōya, but stops at more stations and takes 20-30 minutes longer.
The Sarobetsu service is currently suspended, as the same type of train used for the service was involved in a fire on the Hakodate Main Line in July 2013. The service was supposed to resume the following month, but was delayed due to the accident investigation and resulting preventative measures. The suspension is currently expected to end on March 31, 2014. In the meantime, a temporary rapid train service is replacing the Sarobetsu.
- JR Timetable, August 2008 issue
- "JR宗谷本線 特急サロベツ 運休のご案内" (in Japanese). Wakkanai City website. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- "平成25年 第３回定例会（９月） 一般行政報告" (in Japanese). Wakkanai City website. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- "「臨時快速」運行（11/1～）に伴うお知らせについて" (in Japanese). Wakkanai City website. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- "ＪＲ新幹線＆特急列車ファイル" (JR Shinkansen & Limited Express Train File), published 2008 by Kōtsū Shimbun