23 April 1923|
||20 April 2002
Chennai [formerly Madras], India
||Kaveri/Indira Ramaswami (1949)
Sarvepalli Gopal (Telugu: సర్వేపల్లి గోపాల్) (1923–2002) was a well known Indian historian. He is the author of Radhakrishnan: A Biography and Jawaharlal Nehru: A Biography.
Background and education
He was born in a Telugu family. He was the son of Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, India's first Vice-President [1952-1962] and second President [1962-1967].
He was educated at Mill Hill School and completed his graduation at Presidency College, Madras. He was a student at Balliol College, Oxford where he won the Curzon Prize and took a third class degree in history.  He continued at Balliol, writing his DPhil on the viceregalty of Lord Ripon.
Subsequently, he was a Reader in Indian History at St Antony's College, Oxford. When the new Jawaharlal Nehru University was founded by then Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi, he was appointed as a Professor of History at the Centre for Historical Studies, which he helped in setting up.
He was a Director in the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, and worked closely with Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru in the 1950s. He was also Chairman of the National Book Trust, New Delhi in the 1970s.
- History of Humanity: Scientific and Cultural Development, Vol. 7: The Twentieth Century, (Paris: UNESCO, Routledge, 2008) (co-author Tichvinskii, Sergei Leonidovich)
- Jawaharlal Nehru: A Biography, (Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2004)
- The Essential Writings of Jawaharlal Nehru, (New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2003) (co-author Uma Iyengar)
- Anatomy of Confrontation: The Babri Masjid Ramjanmabhumi Issue, (New Delhi: Viking, 1991)
- Radhakrishnan: A Biography, (Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1992)
- Economy, Society and Development:Essays and Reflections in Honour of Malcolm Adesheshiah, (New Delhi: Sage, 1991) (co-authors Kurien, C.T., E.R. Prabhakar)
- Jawaharlal Nehru: An Anthology, (Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1983)
- Selected Works of Jawaharlal Nehru, (New Delhi: Orient Longman, 1972–82) (co-authors Chalapatti Rau, M., Sharada Prasad, H.Y., Nanda, B.R.)
- British Policy in India, 1858-1905, (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1965)
- Modern India, (London: Historical Association, 1967)
- The Viceroyalty of Lord Irwin, 1926-1931, (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1957)
- The Viceroyalty of Lord Ripon, 1880-1884, (London: Oxford University Press, 1957)
- The Permanent Settlement in Bengal and its Result, (London, G.Allen and Unwin, 1949)