The Sasebo Line (佐世保線 Sasebo-sen?) is a railway line in Kyushu, Japan, operated by the Kyushu Railway Company (JR Kyushu). It connects Hizen-Yamaguchi Station in Kōhoku, Saga Prefecture to Sasebo Station in Sasebo, Nagasaki Prefecture. It is part of the route connecting Sasebo with Saga and Fukuoka. Most of the line runs parallel to National Routes 35 and 34. From 1898 to 1934 the Hizen-Yamaguchi - Haiki section was part of the original Nagasaki Main Line.
The Kyushu Railway Co. opened the Hizen-Yamaguchi - Takeo Onsen section in 1895 as part of the original Nagasaki Main Line. It was extended to Haiki in 1897, and to Sasebo the following year. The company was nationalised in 1907.
In 1934 the Hizen-Yamaguchi - Isahaya line opened as the new Nagasaki Main line, with the line being renamed the Sasebo Line. The history of the line beyond Sasebo is covered under the Matsuura Line.
The entire line was electrified in 1976, and freight service ceased between Haiki - Sasebo in 1985, Arita - Haiki in 1987 and on the balance of the line in 1996.
Former connecting lines
- Takahashi station - The Yutokuma Railway Co. opened a 23km 915mm (3') gauge line to Yu Isao Inari shrine between 1904 and 1907, and a 2km branch line in 1909. Both lines closed in 1931. The 10km 1067mm gauge Hizen Electric Railway Co. line to Ureshino, electrified at 600 VDC, connected to this line and operated between 1915 and 1931.
- Sasebo station - A 5km line to a US Forces Japan oil storage facility operated between 1950 and 1978.
- Operators and distances
- Track gauge: 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
- Stations: 14
- Double-track: None (entire line is single-track)
- Electrified track: Whole line
- Maximum speed: 120 km/h (75 mph)
- 783 series (whole line, limited express Midori/Huis Ten Bosch)
- 415 series (whole line)
- 813 series (between Hizen-Yamaguchi and Haiki)
- 817 series (whole line)
- KiHa 66/67 DMUs (between Sasebo and Haiki)
- KiHa 200 DMUs (between Sasebo and Haiki)
- ●： Station stop
|Station||Japanese||Distance from Hizen-Yamaguchi||Limited express
|Hizen-Yamaguchi||肥前山口||0.0||Nagasaki Main Line||Saga Prefecture||Kōhoku|
|Mikawachi||三河内||35.7||Continuing to/from the Ōmura Line||Nagasaki Prefecture||Sasebo|
This article incorporates material from the corresponding article in the Japanese Wikipedia