Saskatoon Farmers' Market
|Saskatoon Farmers' Market|
|Location||19th Street and Avenue B|
|Town or city||Saskatoon, Saskatchewan|
The Saskatoon Farmers' Market is a public Farmers' market housed in a former electrical warehouse and garage in the Riversdale, district of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. The building was renovated and an outdoor market plaza created as part of the River Landing redevelopment. The market and Ideas Inc. (a business incubator) moved into its current building in May 2007. The building was originally associated with the Saskatoon Light & Power A. H. Cole power plant built in 1910 and torn down in the 1990s.
The market is a cooperative owned by the market vendors. The building itself is owned by the city.
Early locations for the market
Prior to moving into a dedicated building the Saskatoon Farmers' Market (originally called the Toad Lane Market) was established in 1975 (with a $1,000 grant from the Ministry of Agriculture) and operated and moved around through several locations:
- Summer Market operated from City Hall Parking Lot (1975-1980), 23rd Steeet (1980-1993), 23rd Street and City Hall Square
- Summer Satellite Market (on Thursdays) operated from parking lots at the Westgate Plaza (1978), Confederation Mall Parking Lot (1979-1999), and 51st Street. (1999-2007)
- Summer Satellite Market (on Tuesdays) operated from parking lots at the Wildwood Mall (1982-1990), College Park Mall (1990-1999), Elm Church parking lot (1999-2002), Lakewood Civic Centre (2002-2007)
- Winter Market operated from the Sinclair Centre (1977-1987), Sturdy Stone Centre and the Adilman Building.
- "Farmers' Market, Ideas Inc., and Market Square". City of Saskatoon. Retrieved 2011-09-11.
- "Saskatoon Farmers’ Market/market Square/ideas Inc. Officially Opened". City of Saskatoon. October 1, 2007. Retrieved 2011-09-11.
- "City shouldn't help farmers' market: rival". The StarPhoenix. StarPhoenix. December 15, 2009. Retrieved 2011-09-11.
- "Saskatoon Farmers' Market History". Saskatoon Farmers' Market. Retrieved 2011-09-11.