19 December 1970
|Years active||1995 – present|
|Spouse(s)||Dr. Mohua Chatterjee|
Saswata Chatterjee (শাশ্বত চ্যাটারজী) also known as Apu is a popular Bengali male actor of television and films based in Kolkata, India. Born to actor Subhendu Chatterjee, Chatterjee began his career with a Hindi serial directed by Saibal Mitra, based on Samaresh Majumdar's Kaalpurush. He gained popularity by portraying the character of Topshe in a Feluda-based television series directed by Sandip Ray. His acting in many Bengali films has been praised by the critics, including his portrayal of a Ritwik Ghatak-inspired character in the 2013 film Meghe Dhaka Tara. He enjoyed success at the national level in Sujoy Ghosh's 2012 blockbuster Hindi film, Kahaani, where he played a simple-looking creepy contract killer.
Saswata Chatterjee was born on 19 December 1970 to Subhendu Chatterjee, a noted Bengali actor. Since childhood, Chatterjee loved to watch a lot of theater and enact scenes in front of the mirror.
Saswata Chatterjee lives in Kolkata and is married to Mohua, a teacher, the actor has one daughter.
Chatterjee started his career with a Hindi serial directed by Saibal Mitra, based on Samaresh Majumdar’s Kaalpurush. Later, he acted on a television series directed by Sandip Ray, where he portrayed the character of Topshe, a sidekick of Feluda, the sleuth. After this television debut, his acting skills were appreciated and he gained popularity.
Chatterjee's acting in several Bengali films were critically appreciated. Some of his notable appearances include Tiyasha, C/O Sir, Proloy (2013), Jekhane Bhuter Bhoy, Meghe Dhaka Tara, Bhooter Bhabishyat, Abar Bomkesh (Chitrachor), Rang Milanti, Adim Ripu , The Bong Connection, Abar Aranye. He worked in the blockbuster Hindi film, Kahaani (2012) directed by Sujoy Ghosh and starring Vidya Balan. In that film, he played the role of a cold-blooded killer named Bob Biswas. His role as Bob became so popular that Chatterjee describes it as
Bob Biswas has most definitely exceeded the popularity of Kahaani. Poor Saswata has lost his identity. He is addressed as Bob wherever he goes.—Saswata Chaterjee on his role on Bob Biswas.
Meghe Dhaka Tara was released in 2013, a film inspired by the life and works of Bengali film director Ritwik Ghatak and also depicts the socio-political environment of contemporary West Bengal during the Tebhaga and Naxalite movements. In this movie, he played the lead character as Nilkantha Bagchi and his acting was widely appreciated.
|2014||Baari Tar Bangla||Roopchand Sen||Bengali|
|2014||Bonku Babu||Bonku Babu||Bengali|
|2013||C/O Sir||Jayabrata Ray||Bengali|
|2013||Goynar Baksho||Bengali||2014 : Filmfare Awards East for Best Actor Supporting Role (Male)|
|2013||Aschorjo Prodip||Anilabha Gupto / Anilda||Bengali|
|2013||Namte Namte||Rana Basu||Bengali|
|2013||Jekhane Bhuter Bhoy||Pratap Sarkar||Bengali|
|2013||Meghe Dhaka Tara||Nilkantha Bagchi||Bengali||2014 : Filmfare Awards East for Best Actor (Male)|
|2012||Bhooter Bhabishyat||Hathkata Kartik||Bengali|
|2012||Abar Byomkesh (Chitrachor)||Ajit Bandyopadhyay||Bengali|
|2012||Kahaani||Bob Biswas||Hindi / Bollywood||2012 : Zee Cine Award for Best Villain
2012 : Stardust Award for Best Villain
2012 : IIFA Award for Best Actor in a Negative Role
|2012||Bhalobasha Off Route-e||Bengali|
|2011||The Forlorn (Short Film)||Dr. Sambit Chaterjee||Bengali|
|2011||Rang Milanti||Deepjoy Mitra/Anupam Ghatak||Bengali|
|2011||Gosainbaganer Bhoot||Bhelu Daktar||Bengali|
|2010||Byomkesh Bakshi (Adim Ripu)||Ajit Bandyopadhyay||Bengali|
|2009||Cross Connection||Swapnil Basu||Bengali|
|2008||Chalo Let's Go||Asim||Bengali|
|2007||The Bong Connection||Bhai-Da||Bengali|
|2007||Shudhu Tomar Jonyo||Bengali|
|2006||Dosar||Kaushik's younger brother||Bengali|
|2006||Teen Yaari Katha||Bengali|
|2005||Karkat Rashi (TV)||Professor||Bengali|
|2004||Aabar Asibo Phire||Bengali|
|2004||Tin Ekke Tin||Tinkori||Bengali|
|2003||Abar Aranye||Saswata Banerjee||Bengali|
|1999||Tumi Ele Tai||Bengali|
- 1998 Anandalok Awards - Special Jury Award for Atmoja
- 2003 : BFJA - Best Supporting Actor Award - for Aamar Bhuvan
- 2010 : Zee Bangla-r Gourab Samman in 2011 for Best Supporting Male Actor (Cinema) for Byomkesh Bakshi
- 2011 : Imphal International Short Film Festival 2012 - Best Supporting Actor for THE FORLORN'
- 2012 : Zee Cine Award for Best Villain for Kahaani
- 2012 : Stardust Award for Best Villain for Kahaani
- 2012 : IIFA Award for Best Actor in a Negative Role for Kahaani
- 2014 : Filmfare Awards East for Best Actor (Male) – Bengali for Meghe Dhakha Tara
- 2014 : Filmfare Awards East for Best Actor Supporting Role (Male) – Bengali for Goynar Baksho
- Firstpost.Bollywood (27 March 2012). "Bob Biswas : I even scared my wife". Retrieved 5 April 2012.
- IANS (5 July 2007). "Bengali actor Subhendu Chatterjee dead". Retrieved 12 March 2009.
- "Bob Biswas gets even bigger". Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- The Telegraph (9 June 2011). "A Director's Actor". Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- Trans World Features (22 January 2008). "The legend of Feluda". Retrieved 12 March 2009.
- "Kahaani's Bob Biswas a rage on FB, Twitter". Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- "First IISFF 2012 - Awards at First IISFF 2012". Retrieved March 11, 2014.