Theatrical film poster
|Directed by||Dante Tomaselli|
|Produced by||Milka Stanisic
Anthony J. Vorhies
|Written by||Dante Tomaselli|
Irma St. Paule
|Music by||Perry Geyer
|Editing by||Marcus Bonilla
|Distributed by||Anchor Bay Entertainment|
|Running time||90 minutes|
Satan's Playground is a 2006 American horror film directed and written by Dante Tomaselli. The film was released on August 22, 2006 and marked the first time Tomaselli did not serve as the producer of his own film. Satan's Playground stars Felissa Rose, Ellen Sandweiss, and Edwin Neal.
A frustrated family is on a drive through the Pine Barrens Forest of New Jersey when their car breaks down. One-by-one, as day turns to night, the family members venture from their automobile and disappear into the ominous forest outside. As they seek help, they find themselves besieged by a strange demonic entity and a dilapidated home, occupied by a family of psychopaths.
- Felissa Rose – Donna Bruno
- Ellen Sandweiss – Paula
- Edwin Neal – Leeds Boy
- Irma St. Paule – Mrs. Leeds
- Danny Lopes – Sean Bruno
- Christie Sanford – Judy Leeds
- Ron Millkie – Officer Peters
- Salvatore Paul Piro – Frank Bruno
- Raine Brown – Prostitute
- Robert Zappalorti – Cop
- Marco Rose – Baby Anthony
- Maureen Tomaselli – Reporter
- Jessy Hodges – Lost Teen
- Chris Farabaugh – Stoner
- Garth Johnson - Red Hooded Man
Critical reception for Satan's Playground has been mixed to positive and the film currently holds a rating of 67% "fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 6 reviews. Variety gave the film a positive review, noting that while it was more accessible than some of his previous films, it still would not appeal to all viewers. Overall the magazine called it a "richly atmospheric exercise in surreal horror". JoBlo.com and Slant Magazine both praised the film, and JoBlo's reviewer noted that the movie was "a relentless and uber entertaining circus of horror". Dread Central's review was more mixed, praising the film's look as "polished" while criticizing the film's acting and non-linear story line.
- Edwards, Matthew (2007). Film Out of Bounds. McFarland. p. 123. ISBN 9780786429707.
- "Heading to 'Satan's Playground' with Dante Tomaselli". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "Satan's Playground (2003)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 15 June 2012.
- Johnson, David. "Satan's Playground (review)". DVD Verdict. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Harvey, Dennis. "Review: ‘Satan’s Playground’". Variety. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Kipp, Jeremiah. "Satan's Playground". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "atan's Playground (review)". JoBlo.com. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Butane, Johnny. "Satan's Playground (review)". Dread Central. Retrieved 14 February 2014.