Satan playing live in Belgium in 2013
|Also known as||Blind Fury
|Labels||Guardian, Neat, Roadrunner, Steamhammer, Listenable|
|Associated acts||Blitzkrieg, Skyclad|
|Past members||Trevor Robinson
Satan are a heavy metal band originating from Newcastle, England in 1979, known as part of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal movement. The band is considered influential for playing a form of proto-thrash/speed metal that was fairly advanced by the standards of the early 1980s.
Their line-up has undergone a number of personnel changes and even name changes; for a time the band was called Blind Fury, putting out one album, 1985's Out of Reach, under that moniker before reverting to Satan. In 1988, the group changed it's name to Pariah, releasing two albums under that name before folding in the early 90s. In 1998, Pariah released another album. The band's shifting line-up has included members of many other heavy metal bands such as Blitzkrieg, Atomkraft, Avenger, Persian Risk, Cronos and Battleaxe. In 1990, Steve Ramsey (guitar) and Graeme English (bass) together with singer Martin Walkyier of UK thrash metal band Sabbat founded folk metal band Skyclad.
Satan performed a one-off gig at Germany's Wacken Open Air in 2004 and finally reunited in their original Court in the Act line-up in 2011. The band performed at several European festivals in 2011 and 2012 and announced more festival shows and a new album for 2013. The new album, Life Sentence, was released 29 April (Europe)/21 May (U.S.) 2013 via Listenable Records. In 2014 the band increased their global reach by touring in both North & South America including USA & Canada. They are scheduled for a return to the USA in October 2014 before flying out to Japan in November. There's also a live album announced for October 2014 (entitled 'Trail of Fire – Live in North America').
- Steve Ramsey - Guitars (1979-1984, 1985-1988, 2004, 2011-present)
- Russ Tippins - Guitars (1979-1984, 1985-1988, 2004, 2011-present)
- Graeme English - Bass (1980-1984, 1985-1988, 2004, 2011-present)
- Sean Taylor - Drums (1983-1984, 1985-1988, 2011-present)
- Brian Ross - Vocals (1983-1984, 2004, 2011–present
- Court in the Act (as Satan, Neat 1983)
- Out of Reach (as Blind Fury, Roadrunner 1985)
- Suspended Sentence (as Satan, S.P.V. 1987)
- The Kindred (as Pariah, Steamhammer 1988)
- Blaze of Obscurity (as Pariah, S.P.V. 1989)
- Unity (as Pariah, 1998)
- Life Sentence (as Satan, Listenable 2013)
- "Kiss of Death" (Guardian 1982)
- The first demo (1981)
- Into the Fire (1982)
- Dirt Demo '86 (1986)
- Into the Future (Steamhammer 1986)
Compilations / live albums
- Blitzkrieg in Holland (Metal Nation 2000)
- Live in the Act (Metal Nation 2004)
- The Early Demos (Death Rider Records 2011)
- Popoff, Martin (2005). The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal Volume 2: The Eighties. Toronto: Collector's Guide Publishing. p. 309. ISBN 1-894959-31-0.
- "SATAN Perform Live for First Time in 20 Years: Photos Available". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "Tour Dates". Satanmusic.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "New Album!". Satanmusic.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "Satan Sign with LISTENABLE Records, Reveal New Album Title". Satanmusic.com. Retrieved 01-12-2012.
- "‘Life Sentence’ Cover Art & Release Date". Satanmusic.com. Retrieved 2013-02-16.
- "Satan To Release Live Album!". Satanmusic.com. Retrieved 2014-08-13.
- Artwork & Release Date Revealed by Satan for Reunion LP "Life Sentence". Metal Underground. Retrieved 15-02-2013.