Satan playing live in Belgium in 2013
|Also known as||Blind Fury
|Labels||Guardian, Neat, Roadrunner, Steamhammer, Listenable|
|Associated acts||Blitzkrieg, Skyclad|
Satan are a heavy metal band originating from Newcastle, England in 1979, known as part of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal movement. The band is considered influential for playing a form of proto-thrash/speed metal that was fairly advanced by the standards of the early 1980s.
Their line-up has undergone a number of personnel changes and even name changes; for a time the band was called Blind Fury, putting out one album, 1985's Out of Reach, under that moniker before reverting to Satan. In 1988, the group changed its name to Pariah, releasing two albums under that name before folding in the early 90s. In 1998, Pariah released another album. The band's shifting line-up has included members of many other heavy metal bands such as Blitzkrieg, Atomkraft, Avenger, Persian Risk, Cronos and Battleaxe. In 1990, Steve Ramsey (guitar) and Graeme English (bass) together with singer Martin Walkyier of UK thrash metal band Sabbat founded folk metal band Skyclad.
Satan performed a one-off gig at Germany's Wacken Open Air in 2004 and finally reunited in 2011. Since their reunion, the band has performed at several European festivals and released a new album, Life Sentence, in April, 2013 via Listenable Records. In 2014 the band increased their global reach by touring in North and South America.
The band is currently working on a new album, which is planned for a September, 2015 release.
As Blind Fury
Singles and EPs
- Kiss of Death (1982)
- Into the Future (1986)
- The First Demo (1981)
- Into the Fire (1982)
- Dirt Demo '86 (1986)
Compilations and Live Albums
- Blitzkrieg in Holland (2000)
- Live in the Act (2004)
- Into the Fire / Kiss of Death (2011)
- The Early Demos (2011)
- Popoff, Martin (2005). The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal Volume 2: The Eighties. Toronto: Collector's Guide Publishing. p. 309. ISBN 1-894959-31-0.
- "SATAN Perform Live for First Time in 20 Years: Photos Available". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "‘Life Sentence’ Cover Art & Release Date". Satanmusic.com. Retrieved 2013-02-16.
- "New Album!". Satan. 18 March 2015. Retrieved 18 March 2015.