|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009)|
Tour de Garde
Satanic Warmaster is a black metal band from Lappeenranta in southern Finland. Musician "Satanic Tyrant Werewolf" (real name Lauri Penttilä) began recording under this name in 1999. The band's lyrics deal mainly with nature, folklore, Satanism, and "occult and warlike themes".
Early years (1998-2000)
The idea for Satanic Warmaster was first formed in 1998, while Werewolf was performing vocals for the band Horna, along with his other musical projects. At that time Werewolf was still known under the name "Nazgul". During this time he released three demos for Satanic Warmaster, Bloody Ritual and Marsch Zu Neuen Zeitaltern in 1999, and Gas Chamber in 2000. He left Horna in 2001 to focus on Satanic Warmaster and also because of personal reasons, citing his frustration and need to create his own art.
In a 2003 interview for the Finnish metal webzine Imperiumi, Werewolf explained his personal beliefs in a detailed manner: "Pan-European traditional Satanism is a comprehensive ideological and philosophical alignment, which aims for the bettering of an individual and the most beneficial elbow space through the acknowledgement (and partially harnessing) of the dark and destructive (and thus initially creative) force of nature and cosmos. Excluding anything has never been the best option. Satanism constitutes my world view about 100%".
Media coverage and controversy
In a 2004 interview, Werewolf stated, "The influence [of the Third Reich] cannot be denied, some of the most advanced social and political ideas were created during the iron regime of the Reich. Of course I am interested and feel strong sympathy for the ideals of that time." In response to the question, "When a band sings about the hatred to christians then everything is okay, but when a band starts to sing about the jews instead of christians then some people (even some "die-hard" Satanists!) seem to have some problems with it... Isn’t it ridiculous?" Werewolf agreed, "It is fucking ridiculous. It is okay to mock the 'King of the Jews' but not mock 'god's chosen race'. Fuck Jahweh and fuck Judaism". When asked his opinion about the September 11 attacks, he said that it was "maybe even a hoax and a way for the JewSA to wage their useless wars on anyone they want."
In January 2008, the band was linked to National Socialist black metal in Finnish newspapers due to its "Carelian Pagan Madness" tour with the German NSBM band Absurd and Greek NSBM band Der Stürmer, whose member Hjarulv Henker called Satanic Warmaster one of the few Satanic bands to have his "full support" because they are "supporting (and take part in) our Cause.", although pagan and satanic bands usually reject each other[attribution needed]. Both the tour organizers and Satanic Warmaster denied the allegations. Critics[who?] also cited some of Warmaster’s lyrical content such as "Enthroned Aryan spirit the resurrection of our reich" ("Strength and Honour") and "Sieg Heil! The sign of our cross rises" ("Wolves of Blood and Iron", both from the Strength and Honour album), release titles like Gas Chamber. Werewolf called the political accusations "groundless" and described the lyrical interpretations as "insane".
In 2009, Ylioppilaslehti, the biggest student newspaper in Finland, published an article about Black Metal where Werewolf explained his motivations even further. About the rise of new subgenres such as "NSBM" to the side of traditional Black Metal he commented on the matter, "Times change, shock values get deteriorated and intensified. If you want your voice to be heard, it isn't always enough that you say, Hail Satan! It is of no importance to anyone anymore. You must comprehend new aesthetics and in certain cases it can be found surprisingly near. It's ridiculously easy, how you can get people to fixate on your music by these means". Also about the morals and the polarities of Black Metal and NSBM he said, "Black Metal is negative. For an average person Black Metal in all it's immorality and nihilism should be a million times worse than neo-nazism or anything like that".
- Satanic Tyrant Werewolf (also known as Nazgul von Armageddon; Satanic Warmaster Lord Sargofagian Sexual Hammer Bestial all instruments and vocals)
Albums and EPs
- 2001 - Strength and Honour
- 2002 - Black Katharsis
- 2003 - Opferblut
- 2004 - ...Of the Night
- 2005 - Carelian Satanist Madness
- 2007 - Revelation
- 2010 - Nachzehrer
- 2010 - Ondskapens Makt / Forgotten Graves
- 2011 - Winter's Hunger / Torches
- 2012 - In Eternal Fire / Ghost Wolves
- 2003 - Hold On to Your Dreams (single; split with Krieg)
- 2003 - The True Face of Evil (single; split with The True Frost)
- 2004 - March of the Legion Werwolf (EP; split with Akitsa)
- 2004 - Satanic Warmaster & Clandestine Blaze (album; split with Clandestine Blaze)
- 2006 - A Hymn for the Black Empire (single; split with Stuthoff)
- 2007 - The Chant of the Barbarian Wolves (single; split with Aryan Blood)
- 2007 - Dark Hymns (EP; split with Mütiilation & Drowning the Light)
- 2008 - Black Metal Holocaust (single; split with Evil)
- 2008 - Where Eternity Awaits (EP; split with Behexen)
- 2009 - Majesty of Wampyric Blood (single; split with Totenburg)
- 2000 - Bloody Ritual (demo)
- 2000 - Gas Chamber (demo)
- 2005 - Black Metal Kommando / Gas Chamber (compilation)
- 2007 - Black Metal Massacre Live (live recording)
- 2007 - Werewolf Hate Attack (live recording)
- 2008 - Revelation ...of the Night (compilation)
- 2010 - We Are the Worms that Crawl on the Broken Wings of an Angel (compilation)
Satanic Tyrant Werewolf has recorded with the following artists:
- Blasphemous Evil
- Mental Terror
- The True Werewolf
- Sharpe-Young, Garry. "Satanic Warmaster biography". MusicMight. Retrieved 2010-10-07.
- Sharpe-Young, Garry. "Warloghe biography". MusicMight. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- Sharpe-Young, Garry. "Shatargat biography". MusicMight. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- Interview at Imperiumi
- Satanic Warmaster releases on No Colours Records site
- Official Website
- (Finnish) http://www.turunsanomat.fi/kotimaa/?ts=1,3:1002:0:0,4:2:0:1:2008-01-04,104:2:508512,1:0:0:0:0:0:
- (Finnish) http://www.hs.fi/tulosta/1135232986060
- Der Stürmer interview from Legeones zine
- "Lappeenrantalainen black metal -yhtye kytketty uusnatseihin". Etelä-Saimaa. Retrieved 8 January 2008.
- "Black Metal article in Ylioppilaslehti (In Finnish)".
- Sharpe-Young, Garry. "Satanic Warmaster biography". MusicMight. Retrieved 2009-08-10.