Administrative building of the university
|Sathyabama Institute of Science & Technology, Sathyabama Engineering College|
|Motto||Justice, Peace, Revolution|
|Affiliation||Roman Catholic (Latin Church)|
|Director||Marie Johnson, Mariazeena Johnson|
|Registrar||S. S. Rau|
|Location||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
|Campus||Suburban, 350 acres (1,400,000 m2) |
|Sports||Basketball, volleyball, football, cricket, tennis, Wrestling , hockey.|
Sathyabama University (Tamil: சத்யபாமா பல்கலைக்கழகம்) is a private university at Chennai in Tamil Nadu, India, founded in 1988 as Sathyabama Engineering College by Jeppiaar Educational Trust (formed in 1987) and inaugurated by then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, Janaki Ramachandran. It was formerly known as Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology (SIST). The university is headed by Jeppiaar, a former politician under the late M. G. Ramachandran. It is a Christian minority institution.
The Ministry of Human Resources Development declared the college a 'Deemed University' on 16 July 2001 and as a 'University' on 13 September 2006, under section 3 of the UGC Act. According to the 2010 University Web Ranking website Sathyabama was ranked 5th among universities in Chennai. In a recent[when?] report by Outlook India, Sathyabama University has been ranked as the 86th best university in India.
Nationally, the university has gained an unsavory reputation, along with other institutions established by Jeppiaar for repressing social interaction between students of different genders and for a series of draconian rules.
The university is in the suburb of Sholinganallur about 15 kilometers from Adyar in Chennai. It has a sprawling campus of 350 acres. The university is next to the Rajiv Gandhi Salai (formerly known as Old Mahabalipuram Road and popularly known as IT Corridor). It is accessible by the East Coast Road (ECR).
Accreditation and certification
Sathyabama University consists of the following academic departments.
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Information Technology
- Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Control Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
- Department of Electronic Science
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Automobile Engineering
- Department of Mechanical and Production Engineering
- Department of Aeronautical Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Bio-Technology
- Department of Bio-Medical Engineering
- Department of Bio-Informatics
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Dental Sciences
The university is providing part-time B.E degree in main branches (weekend classes)(under UGC act 1956) for working professionals to improve their career growth. Approval from UGC for this course is still unknown.
In addition Sathyabama University has the following courses for Masters degrees:
- M.E. - Computer Science and Engineering
- M.E. - Power Electronics
- M.E. - Embedded Systems
- M.E. - Applied Electronics
- M.E. - Electronics and Control Engineering
- M.E. - Thermal Engineering
- M.E. - Computer Aided Design
- M.E. - Structural Engineering
- M.E. - Environmental Engineering
- Ph.D in all disciplines
The university has a sprawling campus of 350 acres with an entrance consisting of an enormous arch with single dome on top. Inside the dome there is a statue of the Blessed Virgin. The arch bears the Sathyabama University crest with the motto "Justice, Peace, Revolution".
Statues of the Blessed Virgin are found at multiple places inside the campus. Similar domes are found on several buildings.
The campus has two large metal globes mounted on top of solid pillars. The globes have the university name engraved on it and revolve. Several small scale models of planes from the department of Aeronautical Engineering are around the campus.
The Architecture block is situated further away. The Dental Block is a bit further away and is fully air-conditioned.
Hostels and boarding
There are separate hostels for men and women. Facilities like beauty parlors and gyms are available.
Food is provided in the separate messes for men and women. PG and MBA students have a separate mess. Refreshments are provided daily. A bakery and canteen is available.
The university has a central library holding books which cover many topics. It has an e-library as well. The university's central library also holds number of conference rooms, a wifi zone, a placement cells. The university has medical rooms. The Sathyabama General Hospital and Dental College is also in the campus. Sathyabama University has a reverse osmosis plant for water supply. It has around 125 classrooms with separate blocks for labs and departments. The university has drawing halls, conference halls and auditoriums both AC and non-AC. It has MAC media labs in the Department of Information Technology which exclusively holds MAC computers.A large guest house is on the campus for special visitors. An "Indian bank" branch of Sathyabama University along with an ATM and post office is available.
The University campus has more than 15 centres, Centre for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Centre for Bio resource Research and Development(C-BIRD), Centre for Ocean Research Centre for Drug Discovery and Development, Centre for Remote Sensing and Geoinformatics, Centre for Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Centre for Climate Change Studies, Centre for Water Research, Centre for Laboratory Animal Research, Centre for Advanced Electronic Test Engineering, Centre for Waste Management, IBM Centre for Excellence, Village Resource Centre, Centre for Space Technology etc.
Sathyabama University offers opportunities for all the students to interact on a consistent basis with Industries by way of visits to many renowned companies. Some of the interesting activities like Industrial Visit, Inplant Training, Advisory Bureau for Higher Studies, Entrepreneur Development Cell, Guest Lectures, Foreign Language Classes which are going to play crucial role in helping students to empower themselves for professional world.
Centre for nanoscience and nanotechnology
The Centre for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology was established in January 2006 at the University campus to accomplish the goal of enhancing advanced research in the Energy, Environment, Health Science and Information Technology .The Centre is upgraded in 2011 with Advanced research Instrumentation facilities like FE-SEM, XRD,E-beam, DC thermal, RF, AFM, PLD, etc. The centre is having a team of Scientists working in the area of Material Sciences, Thin Film Coatings, Nanofabrications, Environmental Nanotechnology, Concrete Research, Marine Biotechnology, Nanobiotechnology and Molecular Medicine, Nanomedical Sciences and Drug Discovery, Polymer Chemistry etc.
The institution has more than 250 buses for students and staff members for commuting from the city and suburbs. Buses are operated free of cost on all days throughout the week. Students are not permitted to use other modes of public or private transport.
The university regularly conducts workshops and international conferences. Symposiums which can be attended by other colleges are conducted. Guest lectures are regularly conducted for the students.
Cultural events are conducted. A wide range of events like radio jockeying, dance, singing, adzap, literary events take place.
FEMFEST is a huge cultural event which the university conducts annually exclusively for women from colleges all over India. The university has clubs and groups. Students can play an active role in NCC, NSS etc.
Students take up projects. Sathyabama University has several small scale model planes from the Department of Aeronautical Engineering on campus.
Sports facilities include playing courts, tracks, playground for volleyball, basketball, kabadi, ball badminton, tennis, handball, kho-kho, throw ball, hockey, cricket and other indoor games
- In 2009, the university set the record for the "World’s Largest Solar Steam Cooking System." It received recognition from the Guinness Book of World Records with the title "World’s Longest Painting" during the National Association of Students of Architecture Convention in 2002.
- In 2009, Wipro honoured Sathyabama as their "Trusted academic partner" for meeting the qualifying standards of Wipro's Institutional Accreditation Framework.
- The university tied up with ISRO in 2010 to launch a nano satellite to study air and earth surface pollution.
- The NCC directorate of Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and Andaman Nicobar honoured chancellor Dr. Jeppiaar with "Colonel" (Honorary) on June 21, 2011.
- The chancellor, Dr. Jeppiaar was unanimously elected as President of Indian Society of Remote Sensing (ISRS) - Chennai Chapter for the term 2010 to 2012 .
- "About Sathyabama University". Sathyabama University. 2009. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- "NAAC Peer Team Draft Report of 2006". NAAC Peer Team. 25–27 September 2006. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- "Deemed University Status". University Grants Commission (India). 16 July 2001. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- "Reaching Sathyabama University". Sathyabama University. 2009. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- "NAAC Accreditation for Universities in Tamil Nadu". National Assessment and Accreditation Council. 2007. Retrieved 21 January 2010.[dead link]
- "ISO Certification". Sathyabama University. 6 October 2009. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- "Departments at Sathyabama University". Sathyabama University. 2009. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- "Sathyabama Universitiy - The Basic Information that you need to know".
- "Sathyabama University Facilities". Sathyabama University. 2009. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sathyabama University.|
[councillor johnson Antony dept of Management Studies ]