||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010)|
January 3, 1955 |
Anthicad, Thrissur, Kerala, India
Sathyan Anthikad is an Indian film director, screenwriter, and lyricist best known for his family based Malayalam films. He has created many critical and commercially successful films, especially when working with Sreenivasan as the scriptwriter. His popular films include T. P. Balagopalan M.A. (1986), Nadodikkattu (1987), Varavelpu (1989), Mazhavilkavadi (1989), Sasneham (1990), Sandesam (1991), Thooval Kottaram (1996), Veendum Chila Veettukaryangal (1999), Manassinakkare (2003), and Rasatanthram (2006). Actors Mohanlal and Jayaram embodied the typical Sathyan Anthikkad protagonist in most of the films. On the other hand, Sathyan Anthikad had tried making movies in different genres as well but because of their lower success rate at the box-office he hasn't pursued to make more of them. Some of his such films include Pappan Priyappetta Pappan (1986), Artham (1989), and Pingami (1994).
In 1973, Sathyan debuted as an assistant director to Dr. Balakrishnan in Rekha Cine Arts. Sathyan kickstarted his film direction with Kurukkante Kalyanam in 1982. The legend has it that he started shooting his first film in 1981, named Chamayam. Due to some unfortunate series of events this movie was never completed. He teamed up with Sreenivasan and made some of the most memorable films in Malayalam film history, with Sreenivasan as the screenwriter. Thalayanamanthram, Nadodikkattu and Sandesam are some of the films born from this team, covering socially relevant matters with a comic touch. Sathyan made two novels into films: Appunni starring Mohanlal (a film adaptation of V. K. N.'s novel) and Irattakkuttikalude Achan starring Jayaram and Manju Warrier (an adaptation of C. V. Balakrishnan's novel). Of late, he has ventured into screenwriting and made films like Rasathanthram, Vinodayathra, Innathe Chintha Vishayam and Bhagyadevatha, with credits of story, dialogues and screenplay.
He is a favorite of family filmgoers because of his selection of plots in family-life backgrounds with social relevance and because of his comedic tastes.
Sathyan Anthikad often includes certain actors and technicians more than once in his films. Innocent holds the record of working in maximum films with Sathyan Anthikad. He rarely makes movies without Innocent in the cast. Oduvil Unnikrishnan, Mamukkoya, Nedumudi Venu and K. P. A. C. Lalitha are common cast in his films. His association with screenwriter and actor Sreenivasan's is one of the most successful combinations in Malayalam cinema. Among the lead actors, he was worked with Mohanlal the most, closely followed by Jayaram. The trio of Sathyan, Mohanlal and Sreenivasan have produced some of the most memorable hits in Malayalam cinema.
Either Vipin Mohan or Venu has served as cinematographer for almost all of Anthikkad's films. Johnson has provided music for most all his films till Veendum Chila Veettukaryangal. Their combination is said to be one of the most successful in Malayalam film history. Many memorable songs and film scores of nineties emerged from this combo. In Kochu Kochu Santhoshangal, Anthikkad roped in one of his favourite composers Ilaiyaraaja to compose music. However, he returned to Johnson himself for his next films Narendran Makan Jayakanthan Vaka and Yathrakarude Sradhakku. He again brought back Ilaiyaraja in Manassinakkare, as Johnson took a sabattical from film scoring. Ilaiyaraaja composed the music for all of Anthikkad's films thereafter.
As a lyricist, Sathyan has penned about 100 popular Malayalam film songs, including the following:
- "Oru Nimisham Tharoo Ninnilaliyan" (Sindooram, 1976, Composer: A.T. Ummer)
- "Pooveyil mayangum ponnushashin" (Saritha, 1977, Composer: Shyam)
- "Yaminee Neeyunaroo" (Agni Vyooham, 1979, Composer: A.T. Ummer)
- "Tharake Mizhiyithalil Kanneerumayi" (Choola, 1979, Composer: Raveendran)
- "Manasa Devi" (Dhruvasangamam, 1981, Composer: Raveendran)
- "Sharathkaala Megham" (Dhruvasangamam, 1981, Composer: Raveendran)
- "O Mrudale" (Njan Ekananu, 1982, Composer: M.G. Radhakrishnan)
- "Pranaya Vasantham Thaliraniyumbol" (Njan Ekananu, 1982, Composer: M.G. Radhakrishnan)
- "Kannodu Kannaya Swapnangal" (Kaliyil Alpam Karyam, 1984, Composer: Raveendran)
- "Manatharil Ennum" (Kaliyil Alpam Karyam, 1984, Composer: Raveendran)
- "Manasse Ninte Maninoopurangal" (Veruthe Oru Pinakkam, 1984, Composer: Raveendran)
- "Aalolam Chanchadum" (Aduthaduthu, 1984, Composer: Raveendran)
- "Illikkadum Chellakkattum" (Aduthaduthu, 1984, Composer: Raveendran)
- "Thanka Noopuramo" (Thooval Kottaram, 1996, Composer: Johnson)
- "Viswam Kakkunna Nadha" (Veendum Chila Veettukaryangal, 1999, Composer: Johnson)
National Film Awards
Kerala State Film Awards
- 1986 - Best Story - T. P. Balagopalan M.A.
- 1999 - Best Film with Popular Appeal and Aesthetic Value - Veendum Chila Veettukaryangal
- 2005 - Best Film with Popular Appeal and Aesthetic Value - Achuvinte Amma
- 2007 - Best Screenplay - Vinodayathra
- 2008 - Best Film with Popular Appeal and Aesthetic Value - Innathe Chintha Vishayam
Asianet Film Awards
- 2003 - Best Director - Manassinakkare
- 2005 - Best Film - Achuvinte Amma
- 1999 - Best Film - Veendum Chila Veettukaryangal
Mathrubhumi Film Awards
- 2006 - Best Director - Rasathanthram