Saturday (Basshunter song)
|Single by Basshunter|
|from the album Calling Time|
|Released||18 July 2010
(see release history)
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Writer(s)||Erick Morillo, Mark Quashie, Mich Hansen, Thomas Troelsen, Engelina Larsen|
|Producer(s)||Cutfather, Thomas Troelsen, Wez Clarke|
|Basshunter singles chronology|
"Saturday" is a dance-pop song by Swedish producer Basshunter. It was released digitally in the United Kingdom on 18 July 2010 as the lead single from his forthcoming fourth studio album. The song samples Reel 2 Real's "I Like to Move It". "Saturday" peaked at number twenty-one on the UK Singles Chart and at number five on the UK Dance Chart. In Ireland it peaked at number thirty-seven.
Background and production
"Saturday" was written by Danish songwriters Cutfather, Thomas Troelsen and Engelina, and produced by Cutfather, Thomas Troelsen, and Wez Clarke. It samples the melody from Reel 2 Real's "I Like to Move It", written by Erick Morillo and Mark Quashie.
On 14 May 2010, it was officially announced that "Saturday" would be the first single from Basshunter's forthcoming fourth studio album. It premiered on BBC Radio 1 with Scott Mills that same night.
Basshunter said of the song: "It's about Saturdays in general: going out with friends, drinking, clubbing, dancing, meeting girls and then hopefully doing something else when the sun goes down."
The Guardian described the single as "entirely aggregational Euroguff". Robert Copsey of Digital Spy gave the song three out of five stars and wrote: "The production has a hint of RedOne-ness to it, and the chorus features a suspiciously Natalie Horler-esque vocal, but this change of tack still feels fundamentally Basshunter." The BBC's Fraser McAlpine also gave it three stars, commenting that "this represents a development in the Basshunter sound. Where once he seemed to be making dance tracks to sing to, now he seems to be writing with a full song in mind".
The music video was choreographed by Mihran Kirakosian, directed by Alex Herron and filmed by Ketil Dietrichson. The video discontinues the fictional love story between Basshunter and Aylar Lie; a feature of all previous Basshunter music videos due to his recent torrid love affair with a young British woman (Rachael Elliff) who's insane jealousy demanded it. Instead it features Basshunter singing in a night club surrounded by attractive dancers. He is also shown controlling the girls with a holographic computer, which is a possible reference to Basshunter's personal interest in computer games, and an echo of the music video "DotA", Basshunter's second single, which is based on playing computer games.
"Saturday" debuted on the Irish Singles Chart at number thirty-seven on 23 July 2010. Two days later it debuted at number twenty-one on the UK Singles Chart, marking Basshunter's seventh Top 40 single in the UK and fifth most successful single to date, as well as reaching number five on the UK Dance Chart.
- "Saturday" (Radio Edit) – 3:03
- "Saturday" (Digital Dog Edit) – 3:14
- "Saturday" (Almighty Edit) – 3:39
- "Saturday" (Extended Mix) – 5:22
- "Saturday" (Digital Dog Remix) – 6:05
- "Saturday" (Almighty Remix) – 6:59
- "Saturday" (Mark Breeze Remix) – 5:50
- "Saturday" (Payami Remix) – 4:43
- Songwriting – Erick Morillo, Mark Quashie, Mich Hansen, Thomas Troelsen, Engelina Larsen
- Production – Cutfather, Thomas Troelsen
- Additional production and mixing – Wez Clarke
- Vocal production – Robert Uhlmann
|European Hot 100 Singles||59|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||14|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||16|
|UK Dance (Official Charts Company)||5|
|UK Indie (Official Charts Company)||2|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||21|
|United Kingdom||18 July 2010||Dance Nation||Digital download|
|19 July 2010||CD single|
|United States||27 July 2010||CD single, digital download|
- "Dance Nation | Basshunter - 'Saturday'". Mydancenation.com. Retrieved 2010-06-23.
- Gentry, Colin (20 July 2010). "Basshunter Interview". 4Music. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- Cashmore, Pete (2010) "This week's new single reviews: Basshunter Saturday", The Guardian, 10 July 2010, retrieved 2010-07-11
- Copsey, Robert (2010) "Basshunter: 'Saturday'", Digital Spy, 19 July 2010, retrieved 2010-07-18
- McAlpine, Fraser (2010) "Basshunter - 'Saturday'", BBC, 13 July 2010, retrieved 2010-07-18
- "What's Basshunter Up To Now? Well…", Female First, 17 Jun 2010
- (CD liner notes). "Saturday". Basshunter.
- "Basshunter Album & Song Chart History". European Hot 100 for Basshunter. Nielsen Business Media. Retrieved 3 August 2010.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Charts.org.nz – Basshunter – Saturday". Top 40 Singles.
- "Archive Chart". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201043 into search.
- "Archive Chart" UK Dance Chart.
- "Archive Chart" UK Indie Chart.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart.
- "Saturday: Basshunter: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- "Saturday: Basshunter: Amazon.co.uk: Music". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- "Amazon.com: Saturday: Basshunter: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 23 July 2010.