New millennium astrological chart
In astrology, especially horoscopic astrology the Saturn return is an astrological transit when a transiting Saturn planet returns to the same point in the sky that it occupied at the moment of a person's birth (natal chart). In Hindu astrology, it is known as Saade saati, as the transit in a birth chart and takes approximately 7.5 years to complete. It is an alleged phenomenon which is described as influencing a person's life development at 27 to 29 or 30-year intervals. These intervals or "returns" coincide with the approximate time it takes the planet Saturn to make one orbit around the sun, i.e. 29.4 years. It is believed by astrologers that, as Saturn "returns" to the degree in its orbit occupied at the time of birth, a person crosses over a major threshold and enters the next stage of life. With the first Saturn return, a person leaves youth behind and enters adulthood. With the second return, maturity. And with the third and usually final return, a person enters wise old age. These periods are estimated to occur at roughly the ages of 28-31, 56-60 and 84-90. A fourth return occurs for only a few people, at age 114-118.
In music 
This astrological phenomenon is a popular reference in literature, music, and other forms of media and art.
- The Primate Fiasco opens their CD "Geek Dreams" with track 1 titled SATURN RETURNS.
- In 1998, the pioneer of drum and bass, Goldie, published an album called Saturnz Return, shortly followed by the album Ring of Saturn in the same year.
- The Saturn Return was also referenced by the progressive metal band Tool on their 2001 album Lateralus, specifically the opening track, "The Grudge."
- The neofolk-neoclassical band Unto Ashes released an album entitled Saturn Return in 2001.
- The Saturn Return is referenced by the rock band R.E.M. in the song of the same title on their 2001 album, Reveal.
- It also appears as the title of the 2000 album by the third wave ska/rock band No Doubt as the Return of Saturn; specifically, the album was named so because Gwen Stefani's 29th birthday was occurring. The album title comes from a line in the song "Artificial Sweetener."
- "Saturn Return" is the name of the sixth track on the 2006 Banco de Gaia album Farewell Ferengistan.
- Additionally, the popular rock band known as The Codetalkers released a song on their self-titled debut album about the return of Saturn. The song, titled simply "Saturn," is about life changing events, referenced specifically when singer and writer Bobby Lee Rodgers says "your Saturn's around the bend."
- 4am, which is a track on the artist Goapele's second album, Change It All, makes references to her Saturn return.
- "Saturn Return" is the name of the third track on the 1998 Eraserheads album Aloha Milky Way. Most of the band members turned 27-29 during this period.
- "Saturn Return" is the name of a three piece Alternative rock band that is based in Perth, Western Australia.
- "Saturn's Return" is the name of the sixth track on the 2003 Tchiya Amet's second album "Black Turtle Island" Milky Way Records. It is a song about her Saturn Return Experience.
- "Saturn Returns" is the name of the feature length album from Alex Theory 2009 White Swan Records. It is subtitled "Rhythms of Transformation".
- "Saturn Return" is the name of the final music track of the final album of the punk band Fifteen, Survivor. It details the career of lead singer Jeff Ott and his transformation from a drug addicted homeless youth to an influential punk-rock musician and father of two girls.
- "The Saturn Return" is the name of Nottingham, UK alternative rock band Zadkiel's first full-length studio album, released in April 2011 on Unit24 Records
- "Saturn Returns" is the name of one of the songs in Adam Guettel's 1998 song-cycle Myths and Hymns.
- The Saturn Return is referenced by Sam Sparro in his song "I Wish I Never Met You" from his album "Return to Paradise".
In cinema & television 
Saturn Returns is the theme of the movie, Lola versus. Where a woman is in the begining of her saturn returns phase.
- Saturn Returns is the name of the 2009 feature length film by Lior Shamriz, shot when he was 29, and this is also the age of the two main characters. It is subtitled "There are no different cultures, only different classes".
- Saturn Returns is the title and plot theme of episode 5 of the first season of the TV series Beauty & the Beast on The CW network. The lead character Catherine Chandler has her "saturn return" birthday.
In theatre 
- Saturn's Return, a play by Australian writer Tommy Murphy, with seasons at the Sydney Theatre Company in 2008 and 2009 when he was aged 29.
- Noah Haidle wrote a play called Saturn Returns, which was first performed at the Mitzi Newhouse Theater, NY. In Saturn Returns, playwright Noah Haidle uses the phenomena of the Saturn Return to take a look at one man, Gustin, during these pivotal moments as he confronts the three women in his life.
In literature 
- A Beginner's Guide to Dying in India by J.M. Donellan is based on the character Levi's entry into Saturn Return, and how it impacts his life path.
In popular culture 
- On the February 12, 2007 broadcast of the Late Show with David Letterman, Drew Barrymore mentioned her Saturn return as the reason for some of the changes in her life.
- There is a piece, Klangtagebuch, by Falk Richter named "Saturn Returnz".
- In 2011 Brianna Graves founded The Saturn Return Project, an investigation of the communications industry in the age of the internet.
- Greene, Liz (1976). Saturn: A New Look at an Old Devil.
- Schostak, Sherene; Weiss, Stefanie Iris (2003). Surviving Saturn's Return: Overcoming the Most Tumultuous Time of Your Life.
- Sullivan, Erin (2000). Saturn in Transit.