|Former type||Public company|
|Industry||IT services, IT consulting|
|Fate||Merged into Tech Mahindra|
|Services||IT, business consulting and outsourcing services|
Mahindra Satyam (formerly Satyam Computer Services Limited) was an Indian IT services company based in Hyderabad, India. The company was listed on the Pink Sheets, the National Stock Exchange and Bombay Stock Exchange. It offered a range of services, including software development, system maintenance, packaged software integration and engineering design services. In June 2009, the company unveiled its new brand identity Mahindra Satyam subsequent to its takeover by the $14 billion Mahindra Group's IT arm on 13 April 2009. It subsequently merged within Tech Mahindra on 24 June 2013.
In a 2000 SEC filing, Satyam Computer Services claimed to be the fourth largest provider of information technology services in India, based on the amount of export revenues generated. There were 7,560 technical associates servicing over 300 customers. The five largest customers, on the basis of revenue, were General Electric Company and its affiliates, State Farm Mutual Automotive Insurance Company, Megasoft Inc., Caterpillar Inc. and NCR Corporation. They together accounted for 42.4% of its IT services revenues. About 26.1% of its total IT services revenues were generated from fixed-price contracts. Satyam also claimed topline growth of 68% to $164 million at 45% gross profit margin. All of its personnel in the USA were working pursuant to extended H-1B visas (570 persons) or temporary L-1 visas (574 persons).
In a 2005 SEC filing, Satyam claimed topline growth of 40% to $794 million at 36% gross profit margin. There were 20,690 technical associates. The five largest customers accounted for 29.5% of IT services revenues. About 34.2% of its total IT services revenues were generated from fixed-price contracts.
Merger with Tech Mahindra
Mahindra Satyam's proposed merger with Tech Mahindra may be delayed all because of legal issues, and ambiguity over jurisdiction between investigating agencies and the government. The merger has been delayed due to two tax cases pending with the Income Tax claiming over 27 billion for both. Tech Mahindra announced its merger with Mahindra Satyam on 21 March 2012,after the board of two companies gave the approval. The two firms have received the go-ahead for merger from the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange. Competition Commission of India(CCI)approved the proposed merger of Mahindra Satyam and other companies with Tech Mahindra. Mahindra Satyam will hold its annual general meeting (AGM) on 8 June 2012 to consider the proposal to merge the company with Tech Mahindra. It is mandatory for the firm to get the AGM nod to go ahead with the merger. The shareholders of both Tech Mahindra and Mahindra Satyam have unanimously approved the scheme of amalgamation and merger of Satyam Computer Services Ltd, Venturbay Consultants, C&S System Technologies, CanvasM Technologies and Mahindra Logisoft Business Solutions with Tech Mahindra. Mahindra Satyam chairman, Vineet Nayyar said on 2 August 2012, that the merger with Tech Mahindra was at the final stage of getting approval from the Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra High Courts. The two firms had received the go-ahead for merger from the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange. On 11 June 2013,Andhra Pradesh High Court gave its approval for the merger of Mahindra Satyam with Tech Mahindra,after Bombay high court already gave its approval. Vineet Nayyar said that technical approvals from the Registrar of Companies(RoC) in Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra are required which will be done in two to four weeks,and within 8 weeks,a newly merged entity will be in place. A new organisation chart would also come into force led by Anand Mahindra as Chairman, Vineet Nayyar as Vice Chairman and C. P. Gurnani as the CEO and Managing Director. Tech Mahindra on 25 June 2013 announced completion of Mahindra Satyam's merger with itself to create nation's fifth largest software services company with a turnover of USD 2.7 billion. Tech Mahindra got the approval from the registrar of companies for the merger late in the night at 11:45 (pm) on 24 June 2013. 5 July 2013 has been determined date on which the Satyam shares will be swapped for Tech Mahindra shares which was approved by both the boards. Mahindra Satyam (Satyam Computer Services), was suspended from trading with effect from 4 July 2013, following its merger with Tech Mahindra . Tech Mahindra completed share swap and allocated its shares to the shareholders of Satyam Computer Services on 12 July 2013. The stock exchanges have accorded their approval for trading the new shares effective 12 July 2013. On 24 July 2013,a division bench of Andhra Pradesh High Court admitted a petition filed by Ekadanta Greenfields and Saptaswara Agro Farms private limited challenging the Mahindra Satyam-Tech Mahindra merger order.The order was given by a single judge of the court in June, allowing the merger and dismissing the objections raised by a few parties.After admitting the petition, the bench comprising N.V. Ramana and Vilas V. Afzulpurkar posted the matter to 26 August 2013.
Row with Income Tax Department
The Income Tax Department had issued notices to the company seeking 6.17 billion tax for the assessment years from 2003–04 to 2008–09, when the company was run by B Ramalinga Raju and his team. The Central Board of Direct Taxes has attached the properties of Mahindra Satyam on 3 February 2012,stating the attachment of properties was according to Section 281 B of the Income Tax Act. Section 281 B refers to recovery of tax and allows the tax department to issue provisional orders to the assessee to safeguard revenues accrued to it.The Income Tax department had slapped notice on the company after disallowing exemptions claimed by the software firm. The company has received notices of demand for 1,037 crore and 10.75 billion for assessment years 2002–03 and 2007–08, respectively.  However, the Andhra Pradesh High Court granted a breather to Mahindra Satyam, by staying the Income Tax Department's provisional order to attach properties of the IT firm.
The company had reported a consolidated net loss of 2.33 billion for the July–September quarter of 2010. Speaking at a press conference, Vineet Nayyar, chairman of the company said the consolidate cash and cash equivalents at 300 million compared to 260 million. "We will take three years for a turnaround," he informed. Even though the company got 2.45 billion profit in Q4 for 2010–2011, but due to outside payments nearly 5.70 billion for SEK,UPAID and Class Action Suit in Q4 (Total 6.41 billion for the year 2010–2011 ),the company had reported a consolidated net loss of 3.27 billion for the January–March quarter of 2010–2011.IT firm Mahindra Satyam posted a consolidated net profit of 2252 million for the quarter ended 30 June 2011. During the quarter, the company added 2,172 people (net), taking total headcount to 31,438 as of 30 June 2011. The company added 36 new customers during the quarter. The total headcount of the company stood at 32,092 as of the quarter ended 30 September 2011 during which net addition of 654 personnel took place. The company added 188 employees in quarter three ending 31 December 2011 and recorded 29.4% quarter-on-quarter in its consolidated net profit of 3.08 billion . Mahindra Satyam reported a net profit of 5.34 billion for the fourth quarter ended 31 March 2012. Mahindra Satyam declared 30 per cent dividend, signalling a complete turnaround,after declaring Q4 results of 2012-2013 in May 2013.
in 2008, Satyam attempted to acquire Maytas Infrastructure and Maytas Properties, founded by family relations of company Ramalinga Raju (Maytas is "Satyam" reversed) for $1.6 billion, despite concerns raised by independent board directors. Both companies are owned by Raju's sons. This eventually led to a review of the deal by the government, a veiled criticism by the Vice President of India Hamid Ansari, and Satyam's clients re-evaluating their relationship with the company. Satyam's investors lost about 3300 crore (equivalent to 50 billion or US$810 million in 2014) in the related panic selling. The US$1.6 billion (80 billion) acquisition was met with scepticism as Satyam's shares fell 55% on the New York Stock Exchange. Three members of the board of directors resigned on 29 December 2008.
Accounting scandal of 2009
- ADR Prospectus 2000
- ADR Prospectus 2005
- Mah Satyam-Tech Mah to appoint bankers to fasten merger. Moneycontrol.com (2011-08-30). Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- /Tech Mahindra, Satyam get nod to merge
- Mahindra Satyam-TechM to take 150 top leaders to Bangkok
- High Court orders shareholders' meeting on MSat-Tech Mahindra merger
- "Mahindra Satyam AGM on June 8"
- Mahindra Satyam shareholders approve merger with Tech Mahindra
- Markets firm in morning deals
- "Merger with Tech Mahindra". 3 August 2012.
- Mahindra Satyam, Tech Mahindra merger gets AP High Court's nod - Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2013-06-11). Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- Andhra Pradesh High Court clears merger of Mahindra Satyam with Tech Mahindra - Economic Times. Economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- Mahindra Satyam waits for Court order for merger. The Hindu (2013-05-17). Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- Decks cleared for end of Satyam. Deccan Chronicle (2013-06-12). Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- M-Satyam, Tech Mahindra hope to merge in four weeks : Market, News - India Today. Indiatoday.intoday.in (2013-06-11). Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- Will complete Tech Mah, Satyam merger in 8 weeks: Nayyar. Moneycontrol.com (2013-06-11). Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- MSat-Tech Mahindra merger gets court nod. The Hindu (2013-06-11). Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- Mahindra Satyam merges with Tech Mahindra; becomes 5th biggest IT firm. Zeenews.india.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- Tech Mahindra, Satyam Computer complete merger. Moneycontrol.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- Satyam is history: Mahindra Group merges Satyam with Tech Mahindra. Deccan Chronicle (2013-06-11). Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- Trading in Mahindra Satyam to be suspended from 4 July. Moneycontrol.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- Satyam is no more; to live on as part of Tech Mahindra. Business Standard (2013-07-14). Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- Tech Mahindra completes share swap, issued capital goes up - Rediff.com Business. Rediff.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- Tech Mahindra completes share swap - The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- High Court admits petition against Satyam merger order | Business Line. Thehindubusinessline.com (2013-07-24). Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- Mahindra Satyam gets attachment order from I-T dept
- Mahindra Satyam gets relief in assets attachment case
- [dead link]
- Mahindra Satyam Q2 net soars; Europe crisis a worry. Moneycontrol.com (2011-11-11). Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- Mahindra Satyam Q3 net spikes 29% to Rs 308 cr
- Mahindra Satyam posts Rs 534.21 cr profit for Q4
- Mahindra Satyam quarterly net profit down by 15%, sets dividend at 30%. Financialexpress.com (2013-05-17). Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- Mahindra Satyam Q4 net down by 15%, declares 30% dividend. Zeenews.india.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- The Hindu Business Line – ‘Satyam's independent directors had raised concerns over the deal’ Friday, 19 December 2008
- "Centre refers Satyam deal to ROC". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 20 December 2008.
- The Hindu : Business : Plain-speak by Hamid Ansari on governance – (Sunday, 21 December 2008)
- Bibhu Ranjan Mishra (18 December 2008). "Satyam clients likely to re-evaluate contracts". Bangalore: Business Standard.
- "Satyam investors lose Rs 3300 cr in a day". NDTV (Mumbai: NDTV Convergence). 2008-12-17. Archived from the original on 2008-12-20.
- "Fourth independent director M. Rao resigns from Satyam". economictimes.indiatims.com. 29 December 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mahindra Satyam.|
|Wikinews has related news: Former Satyam CEO Raju, his brother and CFO arrested and detained in profit-fraud scandal|
- Official website
- The Official Corporate Website for Satyam Computer Services
- Mahindra Satyam repositioned as an ICT firm
- Are there more Satyam's in making?
- BusinessWeek profile
- The rise and fall of Satyam
- Raju's Statement – Scanned Copy – "Satyam CEO's Letter to its board of directors" – Hyderabad, India, 7 January 2009
- Merger of MSAT and TechM (2011). Merger of IT Companies (Documentary). India: Moneycontrol.com.