Location of Saucier, Mississippi
|• Total||7.1 sq mi (18.3 km2)|
|• Land||7.0 sq mi (18.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||161 ft (49 m)|
|• Density||190/sq mi (73/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0694718|
Saucier is a census-designated place (CDP) in Harrison County, Mississippi, United States. It is part of the Gulfport–Biloxi Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 1,342 at the 2010 census.
Saucier is located at .(30.625130, -89.138438)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 7.1 square miles (18 km2), of which 7.0 square miles (18 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (0.85%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,303 people, 478 households, and 367 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 186.2 people per square mile (71.9/km²). There were 507 housing units at an average density of 72.4/sq mi (28.0/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 97.47% White, 0.69% African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.23% Asian, 0.15% Pacific Islander, 0.15% from other races, and 1.15% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.38% of the population.
There were 478 households out of which 38.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.8% were married couples living together, 9.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.2% were non-families. 16.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.73 and the average family size was 3.04.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 28.5% under the age of 18, 10.0% from 18 to 24, 30.9% from 25 to 44, 23.6% from 45 to 64, and 7.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 103.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 106.0 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $37,000, and the median income for a family was $44,167. Males had a median income of $30,099 versus $26,875 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $15,164. About 21.5% of families and 22.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 31.2% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
Saucier is served by the Harrison County School District.
The public library is the Saucier Children's Library. It is a part of the Harrison County Library System.
Saucier's local newspaper is The Sun Herald. Saucier is part of Mississippi Gulf Coast Radio and Television stations Market Area.
In popular culture
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Saucier CDP, Mississippi". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved May 16, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Saucier Children's Library - Harrison County Library System, MS". Harrison County Library System. Retrieved March 15, 2014.
- Gates, Bob. "California’s Joe James Made His Mark In A Brief Career". National Speed Sport News. Retrieved February 2014.
- IMDb: The Ladykillers (2004) Retrieved 2014-05-27.