Saucisse (born 1998) is a dachshund racedog. He was a candidate at the 2001 elections of Marseille to be mayor and was also a candidate for the third edition of Secret Story 2009 (France) for a period of one week.
1998-2000: a stray dog
At an early age the dog, which was not yet named, was found in garbage by the SPA. He underwent several operations and was finally saved. He waited eight months behind the bars of his cage before being adopted by the team of L'Écailler du Sud, a Marseille publishing house of detective novels, notably by the writer Serge Scotto who made him his mascot and named him Saucisse.
2000-present: the success
Saucisse quickly became the hero of many of novels and his reputation began to spread over the Marseille region. On 14 September 2000, a square in the city of Marseille was inaugurated and named after him, becoming the Place du Chien Saucisse.( ) 
But what has really made him famous to the general public was his candidacy at the municipal elections of 2001 in Marseille in the first area (1st and 7th arrondissement) as the mascot of an alternative eponymous list led by Stéphane Joiris and having the slogan "For a more human sauciété [society], against a dog's life". This list managed to rank 6th with 4.5% of the votes and thus exceeding with almost one point the list of the local Rally for France. Thereafter, Serge Scotto registered his dog to the French presidential election, 2002.
Serge Scotto introduced his dog to many celebrities, taking him to trade shows and literary gatherings. Saucisse appeared on many television shows including Vie privée, vie publique, hosted by Mireille Dumas, La Méthode Cauet or On ne peut pas plaire à tout le monde by Marc-Olivier Fogiel. Saucisse was photographed with many people such as Ève Ruggieri, Bernard Werber, Florence Foresti and Raymond Devos. During these few years, Saucisse continued to follow Scotto and was "used" several times by the latter as a media figure to expose certain injustices such as the kidnapping of Florence Aubenas and Hussein Hanoun. The dog also helped his master during all these years in his columns for the daily Métro.
In 2007, Serge Scotto composed a song he sings in duet with his dog, accompanied by the group Musard entitled "Petit chien des rues", in reference to the dog's early life.
On 17 July 2009, in the show Secret Story 3, Benjamin Castaldi announced the arrival of a new resident of 77 years for the following week. Thus, on 24 July 2009, after many rumors on this subject, Saucisse entered the house and was renamed 'Secret' for the occasion. He entered with his own secret which was : "I was candidate for Mayor at the City hall of Marseille". This secret was on the list of secrets since the beginning of the 3rd season. During his participation in the reality show, Saucisse was only with other candidates from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm daily and consulted his veterinarian twice every day. The money he won was given to the Société protectrice des animaux. However, he left the house on 31 July and his secret was not discovered by other contestants.
- Collectif, La fiesta dessoude, dix nouvelles policières à Marseille, L'Écailler du Sud, September 2001, 186 p. (ISBN 2-914264-12-7)
- Georges Foveau, Myster Circus à Avignon, Rouge Safran, January 2002, 120p. (ISBN 2-913647-09-X)
- Didier Van Cauwelaert, Rencontre sous X, Albin Michel editions, April 2002, 250 p. (ISBN 2-226132-94-5)
- Collectif, Du noir dans le vert, L'Écailler du Sud, October 2002, 143p. (ISBN 2-914264-42-9)
- Gilles Del Pappas, Mémoires d'un goûte-sauce, L'Écailler du Sud, November 2002, 110 p. (ISBN 2-914264-28-3)
- Collectif, Meurtres sur un plateau, L'Écailler du Sud, September 2003, 200 p. (ISBN 2-914264-40-2)
- Henri-Frédéric-Blanc, La mécanique des anges, Le Rocher editions, February 2004, 266 p. (ISBN 2-268049-52-3)
- Jean-Paul Delfino, Droit aux Brutes, Adcan editions, March 2004, 160p. (ISBN 2-951657-29-3)
- Serge Scotto, Saucisse dans le métro, Jigal editions, October 2004, 144 p. (ISBN 2-914704-18-6)
- Serge Scotto, La gloire de Saucisse, Jigal editions, October 2005, 128 p. (ISBN 2-914 704-24-0)
- Serge Scotto, Saucisse président, Jigal editions, March 2007, 136 p. (ISBN 2-914704-34-2)
- (French) "Le chien saucisse dans la maison !". Secret Story 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- (French) ""Secret story 3" : Serge Scotto, le Marseillais qui est derrière le chien Saucisse". Le Provence. 2009-07-27. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- (French) "Le Roman de Saucisse". Saucisse. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- (French) "le supermarché de Saucisse". Saucisse. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- (French) Mildiou. "Place du Chien Saucisse". marseilleforum. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- (French) "Serge Scotto et son chien Saucisse". planète-bleue-image. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- (French) "L'essoufflement d'un leadership, les élections municipales des 11 et 18 mars à Marseille". Persée, Maurice Olive, in Pôle Sud n°15, 2001, p.141. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- (French) Molenat, Xavier (2002-03-01). "La joyeuse bande du chien Saucisse". Presidentielles. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- (French) "Le blog officiel de Saucisse". Saucisse. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- (French) "Éditions Jigal". Jigal editions. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- (French) Mélanie Rostagnat (2009-07-17). "Secret Story : un chien dans la maison des secrets ?". Ozap. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- (French) "Le nouveau candidat de Secret Story serait... un chien !". Le Post. 2009-07-18. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- (French) "Secret Story 3 : Léo part, Saucisse débarque...". People Première. 2009-07-25. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- (French) "Exclu Secret Story 3 : Découvrez le sort du chien Saucisse... et les énormes nouveautés de ce soir ! Regardez !". Pure People. 2009-07-31. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- (French) "Secret Story 31/07 : "Tout est plus sexy avec Angie !"". Ozap. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- This article incorporates information from the revision as of 2009-08-01 of the equivalent article on the French Wikipedia.