Save Indian Family (SIF)
Save Indian Family (SIF) claims to be an umbrella organization for Men's rights movement in India. It was formed in 2005 by the unification of a number of Men's rights organizations across India. It is claimed that the movement has grown to over 100,000 members in past 10 years, comprising mainly of victims of misuse of Dowry law in India. There are over 50 NGOs across the globe as part of this movement and no single NGO can claim SIF as their own. This men's rights movement promotes, associates with formation of various NGOs, which intend to work for Men's welfare and want the word Men/Women replaced by gender equal word like Person and Husband/Wife by Spouse in any Government law/policy
It is considered that the first Indian Men Rights movement was started by Ram Prakash Chugh in Delhi in the early 1980s but it took a bigger shape in form of Save Indian Family Movement (SIF) when a number of Men's rights organizations and NGOs came together to voice out their concern against gender biased laws. SIF started promoting and associating itself with more and more non-profit humanitarian organization/NGOs across India to promote gender-equal laws and to stop the misuse of gender-biased laws. Most victims of false anti-dowry cases claim that their wife wanted an independent, separate residence, away from the husband's parents home. Some would claim to be harassed or beaten by their wives. Over 9,000 husbands and their relatives (10 per cent of the total jail population) were languishing in Uttar Pradesh prisons under the provisions of the Act in 2010. Save Family Foundation, a member NGO under SIF, complained against a Kitply plywood commercial to Advertising Standards Council of India. The ad showed a wife slapping her husband on her wedding day because of a creaking bed. The complaint alleged that the ad promoted violence against men by portraying it as funny. Swarup Sarkar said that violence against women draws strong reactions, but violence against men on public television is ignored.
After getting a favourable response for the helpline for Men in Distress service in Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Mumbai, Save Indian Family's Ahmedabad chapter started the helpline.
One of the main reason in India Over One Lakh Suicides in India Every Year, Says Report When a married man faces the domestic violence in the form of verbal abuse, mental abuse and economical abuse, there is no provision in law to seek justice, as per Mr. Swarup Sarkar, Founder member of Save Family Foundation.
In July, 2014 BHAI a Forum for abused men Lunched in Bhopal by SIF.19
Purpose and ideology
Promotion of Gender equal laws to promote family harmony: Domestic violence act, The Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013,Sexual harassment, Rape are gender biased laws in India and have no provision for men claiming relief under any of them.
Stop misuse of Family laws in India: IPC section 498A, Dowry prohibition act, IPC section 406 are non-bailable, non-compoundable and cognizable offenses which are impacting the fabric of family in India and creating Legal Terrorism in India.
Formation of Men’s Welfare Ministry and National Commission of MEN
498-A IPC to be made bailable, non-cognizable and compoundable, as per the recommendations of Malimath Committee report to save the institution of marriage
Jyotsna Chatterjee of the Joint Women’s Programme, said “Some people could have experienced the misuse of the anti-dowry law. But how much more have the women suffered'”
- Men's rights movement in India
- Men's rights movement
- 498A: The Wedding Gift, A film on misuse of 498A section of IPC
- "History of Save Indian Family". Retrieved 5 June 2014.
- "Marriage made in Lok Sabha". Pune Mirror. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- Sarkar, Swarup. "TEDx". Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Helpline to address problems of ‘distressed’ men". The HINDU. 2009-12-17.
- "Now, a 'men-ifesto' for male rights". Business Standard. 2014-01-11.
- "Men running scared now". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Help, my wife beats me!". The Telegraph. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "9,000 hubbies in Jail for Dowry". The Siasat Daily.
- "Men’s groups want ‘offensive’ ad off air". DNA India. 16 September 2008. Retrieved 5 Juner 2014.
- "Men in Distress Helpline". Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, 2013". NIC.in. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- "Domestic Voilence". Times Of India. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- "Legal Terrorism". Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- "National Commission of Men". The Hindu. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "The Law Commission recommends making Section 498A IPC compoundable". The Hindu. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Malevolence for women’s law". The Telegraph. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
17. Tihar overflowing with dowry cases: How infamous Delhi jail is crammed to bursting with women accused of harassment by By Mahinder Singh Manra and Mansi Tewari 22:19 06 Jul 2014, updated 22:19 06 Jul 2014
18. Over One Lakh Suicides in India Every Year, Says Report All India | Indo-Asian News Service | Updated: July 3, 2014 14:41 IST
19. Forum for abused menTNN | Jul 20, 2014, 12.38PM IST