Savin' the Honky Tonk
|Savin' the Honky Tonk|
|Studio album by Mark Chesnutt|
|Released||September 21, 2004|
|Mark Chesnutt chronology|
Savin' the Honky Tonk is the eleventh studio album by American country music artist Mark Chesnutt. His first album for the Vivtaon! label, it features the singles "The Lord Loves the Drinkin' Man", "I'm a Saint", and "A Hard Secret to Keep", which reached #34, #33, and #59, respectively, on the Hot Country Songs charts.
Three of this album's tracks were previously recorded by other artists. "Beer, Bait, and Ammo" was originally recorded by its writer, Kevin Fowler, on his 2000 album of the same name, and later by Sammy Kershaw on his 2003 album I Want My Money Back. Fowler also recorded "The Lord Loves the Drinkin' Man" on his 2004 album Loose, Loud & Crazy. "Would These Arms Be in Your Way" was originally recorded by Keith Whitley on his 1988 album Don't Close Your Eyes.
The people pictured on the album cover include all of Chesnutt's road band and crew.
- "Somebody Save the Honky Tonks" (Mark Chesnutt, Bob Regan, Jimmy Ritchey) - 3:18
- "I'm a Saint" (Jason Sellers, Tony Martin, Ritchey) - 2:59
- "The Lord Loves the Drinkin' Man" (Kevin Fowler) - 4:03
- "Would These Arms Be in Your Way" (Vern Gosdin, Hank Cochran, Red Lane) - 3:11
- "You Can't Do Me This Way" (Roger Miller) - 2:20
- "A Hard Secret to Keep" (Jim McBride, Jerry Salley) - 3:22
- "What Are We Doing in Love" (Dean Miller) - 2:51
- "Don't Ruin It for the Rest of Us" (Annie Tate, Sam Tate, Georgia Middleman, Ritchey) - 3:54
- "Mama's House" (Neal Coty, Jimmy Melton) - 3:04
- "Since You Ain't Home" (Shawn Camp, Ken Mellons, Dale Dodson) - 3:54
- "Think Like a Woman" (Jim Collins, Mark Nesler, Martin) - 3:11
- "Then We Can All Go Home" (Regan, Ritchey) - 3:18
- "Beer, Bait and Ammo" (Fowler) - 4:15
- "My Best Drinkin'" (Collins, Chuck Jones, Ritchey) - 4:02
- "Honky Tonk Heroes" (Billy Joe Shaver) - 1:36
- All tracks produced By Jimmy Ritchey with assistance by Mike Griffith.
- Recorded at The Money Pit and The Sound Kitchen by Clarke Schreicher, assisted by Erik Hellerman and J.C. Monterrosa.
- Overdubs recorded by Erik Hellerman at Fox Ridge Studios.
- Mixed by Clarke Schreicher and Rich Hanson at Loud Studios.
- Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering Studios, Inc.
As listed in liner notes.
- Eddie Bayers - drums
- Larry Franklin - fiddle
- Paul Franklin - steel guitar
- Wes Hightower - background vocals
- John Jarvis - piano
- B. James Lowry - acoustic guitar
- Brent Mason - electric guitar
- Jimmy Ritchey - tic tac bass, acoustic guitar, electric guitar
- John Wesley Ryles - background vocals
- Lee Ann Womack - background vocals on "Would These Arms Be in Your Way"
- Glenn Worf - bass guitar
|U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums||23|
|U.S. Billboard 200||70|
|U.S. Billboard Independent Albums||15|
- Allmusic review
- Savin' the Honky Tonk (CD). Mark Chesnutt. Vivaton! Records. 2004. VIV01.