Saving All My Love for You
|"Saving All My Love for You"|
|Single by Whitney Houston|
|from the album Whitney Houston|
|B-side||"Nobody Loves Me Like You Do"|
|Released||August 13, 1985|
|Format||CD single, cassette single, 7" single|
|Genre||Soul, R&B, jazz|
|Writer(s)||Michael Masser, Gerry Goffin|
|Producer||Michael Masser, Clive Davis|
|Whitney Houston singles chronology|
"Saving All My Love for You" is a song written by Michael Masser and Gerry Goffin with arrangement by Gene Page. It was originally a minor hit for Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. in 1978 on their album Marilyn & Billy (although Davis’ voice was not heard on their version). This article focuses primarily on the cover version by Whitney Houston, the second hit single from her self-titled debut album. The song charting topped Billboard Hot 100, being her first number one in the chart. The song has sold over 3 million copies World Wide.
- 1 Song information
- 2 Music video
- 3 Reception
- 4 Track listings
- 5 Personnel
- 6 Charts and certifications
- 7 See also
- 8 In pop culture
- 9 Other cover versions
- 10 References
- 11 External links
This jazzy ballad is about a love affair with a married man, and the singer is saving all her love for him.
Allmusic senior editor Spethen Thomas Erlewine wrote that this ballad burns "slowly and seductively." Whitney Houston fanpage wrote that: "The arrangements frequently border on formulaic, but such ballad as Saving All My Love is one of the loveliest pop singing on vinyl since the glory days of Dionne Warwick." LA Times praised the vocal performance "her vocal on "Saving All My Love" should mean a cinch Grammy nomination." Vibe magazine called this song "Goliath."
Released in 1985, Whitney's version of "Saving All My Love for You" entered the Billboard Hot 100 at No. 53, jumping to No. 39 the following week (August 24), and reaching the Top 10 five weeks later. The single reached the No. 1 spot the week of October 26, 1985, and would became the first of seven record-setting consecutive number-one singles in the United States for Houston; a record that still holds. The single eventually spent fifteen weeks in the top forty. The song also became a global hit, hitting No. 1 or the Top 10 in various countries around the world. It also hit No. 1 on the US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. It ranked No. 5 on Billboard year-end top black singles chart. In the UK the song hit No. 1 in December 1985 for two weeks. The single went on to become one of the top 25 best-selling singles of 1985 in the UK, and has since sold 740,000 copies.
Houston won the 1986 Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance and the American Music Award for Favorite R&B/Soul Video for "Saving All My Love for You".
- Writer — Michael Masser, Gerry Goffin
- Producer — Michael Masser
- Arranger — Gene Page
- Saxophone solo by Tom Scott
- Mixer — Bill Schnee
- Engineers — Michael Mancini, Russell Schmitt
Charts and certifications
Chart procession and succession
"Separate Lives" by Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin
|Irish Singles Chart number-one single
December 21, 1985
"Thank You Very Much Mr Eastwood" by Dermot Morgan
"I'm Your Man" by Wham!
|UK Singles Chart number-one single
14 December 1985 – 21 December 1985
"Merry Christmas Everyone" by Shakin' Stevens
"Take on Me" by a-ha
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100 number-one single
October 26, 1985
"Part-Time Lover" by Stevie Wonder
"Cherish" by Kool & the Gang
|U.S. Adult Contemporary Singles number-one single
October 5, 1985 – October 19, 1985
"Part-Time Lover" by Stevie Wonder
"Freeway of Love" by Aretha Franklin
|U.S. Black Singles number-one single
September 7, 1985
"Cherish" by Kool & the Gang
- List of number-one singles of 1985 (Ireland)
- List of number-one singles from the 1980s (UK)
- List of Hot 100 number-one singles of 1985 (U.S.)
- List of number-one adult contemporary singles of 1985 (U.S.)
- List of number-one R&B singles of 1985 (U.S.)
In pop culture
- The New York Daily News ranked it No. 79 in its list of the Greatest Love Songs.
- The song appears on the music video game Karaoke Revolution Presents: American Idol.
- The song also appears on The Simpsons' fifteenth episode, season seventeen.
- The point-of-view character in the song and video bears a striking similarity to the role Houston played in 1995's Waiting to Exhale.
- This song appears on Family Matters in 2 separate episodes
- This song also appears on Everybody Hates Chris
- The song is heavily used in the 2008 film Welcome Home, Roscoe Jenkins, starring Martin Lawrence, for both comical and romantic purposes.
Other cover versions
- Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy recorded a cover in 1986 on his Avant Pop album, arranged by Stever Turre.
- Jazz saxophonist Hank Crawford covered the song for his 1990 Groove Master album.
- Idina Menzel performed this song various times during her early days as a Long Island Wedding Singer (before her triumph on the Broadway stage) as a "highly requested first dance". She also covered the song in her solo concerts where she reenacts her days as a Wedding Singer.
- Japanese Jazz-Fusion band Ottottrio covered this song live in 1988.*
- Celine Dion also performed this song live in Montreal, Canada and it was broadcast later in V (TV network) in Quebec, Canada on 1986.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 263.
- "Billboard's Ratings of 1985's Top Pop Music Artists" San Francisco Chronicle. Jan 1 1986. Pg 48
- "The Official UK Countdowns – Whitney Houston Official Top 20". MTV (UK and Ireland). Retrieved January 6, 2011.
- "Whitney Houston – Saving All My Love for You – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Whitney Houston search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Lescharts.com – Whitney Houston – Saving All My Love for You" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Charts.org.nz – Whitney Houston – Saving All My Love for You". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Whitney Houston – Saving All My Love for You". VG-lista.
- "Whitney Houston – Saving All My Love for You – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Whitney Houston" UK Singles Chart.
- "Whitney Houston Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Whitney Houston.
- "Whitney Houston Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Contemporary Songs for Whitney Houston.
- "Whitney Houston Album & Song Chart History" Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Whitney Houston.
- Kent, David (2003). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "South Korea Gaon International Chart (Week: February 12, 2012 to February 18, 2012)". Gaon Chart. January 5, 2013. Retrieved January 5, 2013.
- "Year-end Charts – Top Black Singles of 1985". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. December 31, 1985. Retrieved August 8, 2011.
- "Year-end Charts – Top Pop Singles of 1985". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. December 31, 1985. Retrieved August 8, 2011.
- "Hitparade.ch - Schweizer Jahreshitparade 1986". Hung Medien. Retrieved August 8, 2011.
- UK certifications Bpi.co.uk (Retrieved December 5, 2008)
- U.S. certifications riaa.com (Retrieved December 5, 2008)
- ""My Love Is Your Love" single; triple platinum worldwide". Billboard. November 20, 1999. Retrieved September 25, 2010.
- The 100 Greatest Love Songs According To The NY Daily News - Stereogum