Savonia University of Applied Sciences
|Savonia University of Applied Sciences|
|Motto||Thousands of Possibilities|
|Established||provisional 1992 (perm. 1998)|
|Endowment||approx. $100 million (real estate)|
|Students||4,500 in Kuopio, 1,000 in Varkaus and 1,000 in Iisalmi (total 6,500)|
|Postgraduates||100 (early adoption stage)|
|Location||Kuopio, Varkaus and Iisalmi, Northern Savonia, Finland|
|Campus||De-centralized in Kuopio, centralized in Varkaus and Iisalmi (all urban)|
The largest field of education is Engineering. Engineers graduate after a minimum of four years and 240 ECTS credits after which they are awarded with the degree of Insinööri (AMK), equivalent to a Bachelor of Engineering (BEng). The second largest field is Business, which educates its students for a minimum of three years and 210 ECTS credits. Business studies lead to the degree of Tradenomi, equivalent to Bachelor of Business Administration.
Savonia University of Applied Sciences is participating in the Bologna Process.
During establishment of ammattikorkeakoulu -sector in Finnish Higher Education, Northern Savonia got its own institution in 1992.
The new provisional institution was combined from very old (by Finnish standards) local establishments:
- Kuopio Academy of Design (Kuopion Muotoiluakatemia), est. 1884
- Kuopio Polytechnic (Kuopion Teknillinen oppilaitos), est. 1886
- Kuopio Institute of Commerce (Kuopion kauppaoppilaitos), est. 1887
- Walter Ahlström's Polytechnic (Walter Ahlströmin Teknillinen oppilaitos) in Varkaus
- Varkaus Institute of Commerce (Varkauden kauppaoppilaitos)
Soon they were followed by Kuopio School of Public Health (Kuopion terveydenhuolto-oppilaitos, est. 1896) and the institution expanded also to Iisalmi.
In 1998 it received permanent status by the Finnish Government. 1. January 2004 Pohjois-Savo Polytechnic (Pohjois-Savon ammattikorkeakoulu) was renamed to Savonia University of Applied Sciences (Savonia-ammattikorkeakoulu).
The university offers 30 degree programs in 7 fields of study. Courses in the Culture area are taught at the Kuopio Academy of Design and the Kuopio Academy of Music and Dance. Among the Bachelor of Engineering degrees offered is the Fire Officer Training Program, which is in cooperation with the Emergency Services College.
Fields of study
- Culture (Music and Dance Education, Design and Graphic Design)
- Natural Resources and the Environment (Bachelor of Agriculture)
- Natural Sciences (Information Technology)
- Tourism, Catering and Domestic Services (Hotel & Restaurant and Tourism)
- Social Services, Health and Sports (Nurse, Social Worker, Bioanalytic, Physical Therapist, Maternity Nurse, Dental Hygienist, Public Health Nurse, Occupational Therapist, First Aid Nurse)
- Technology, Communication and Transport (Bachelor of Engineering: Electronics, Information Technology, Fire Officer, Wood, Construction, Electrical and Environmental Technology, Automation, Mechanical Engineering and Production Technology)
- Social Sciences, Business and Administration (Bachelor of Business Administration: International Management, Information Science, Finance, Marketing, Management, Financial Administration)
Master's degree programmes
Required previous studies + these studies are worth 300 ECTS credits.
Master's Degree programmes in the Finnish University of Applied Sciences are distinctive. To meet the applying qualifications, you are required to accumulate three years worth of work experience after your Bachelor's degree. The Master's Degree programmes are very heavily oriented to the needs of the working life - you can study the whole degree in two years while working, in fact it is even encouraged. The learning assignments can be focused to address the development needs of the student's own employer. Some of the programs might be led by a network of Finnish University of Applied Sciences, like Service Business with Rovaniemi and Turku University of Applied Sciences'. Teaching language is Finnish, but some programmes in English program are available. All of the programs are not available every year.
International degree programmes
While most of the instruction is in Finnish, there are four programs leading to Bachelors degrees and one leading to Master's degree which are taught in English:
- International Business Studies specializing in International Marketing Management (in Varkaus) or International Management (in Kuopio)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology (in Kuopio)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering and Production Technology, with a specialty in Engineering and International Business Management (in Varkaus).
- Master's Degree Programme in Industrial Management, Varkaus (Industrial processes, especially pressure cooker industry) - Master of Engineering 60-90 ECTS + apply criteria: previous Bachelor's degree.
Students and Faculty
Approximately 6,500 students study at the university, 250 of whom are international students. Some 130 students studied abroad in 2004. Savonia has a staff of 600.
Each member municipality has votes in the municipality consortium council depending on the three-year average number of its inhabitants studying at Savonia. Currently Kuopio has slightly over half of the votes.
The consortium council term is three years (current 2005-2008). The council has 17 members, of which seven are from Kuopio, five from Varkaus, three from Iisalmi, one from Kiuruvesi and one from Lapinlahti. Municipality votes are shared between members who are attending the council meeting - e.g., if five members from Kuopio are available, they each have higher amount of votes than they would in case of full attendance.
The consortium council selects a consortium board (2005-2008), which has nine members. They are not listed according to their municipality. The board is more active than the council, but still consists of politicians, not professional managers. This dual structure has been recently seen as a somewhat useless allocation of resources and could be removed in ongoing organisational restructuring. Change to a limited company has been under discussion.
The rector serves in a dual role, as he is also director of the owner consortium of municipalities.
- University Board (11* rector, two teachers, two other employees, two students, one division director and three local business representatives)
- Executive Group (12* rector, vice-rector, R&D director, CFO, Quality manager, division directors, executive secretary and the rector of Emercency Services College)
- Division Directors (5* Engineering-, Savonia Business-, Culture-, Health/Social- and Iisalmi -divisions)
On 24 November 2005, backed by the Ministry of Education, Savonia and the University of Kuopio signed an agreement to begin a joint project named Northern Savonia Higher Education Consortium (Pohjois-Savon korkeakoulukonsortio). The first goal is to examine the potential of formalising and expanding current forms of co-operation into a consortium. The decision in June 2007 to move Savonia's operations in Kuopio to the University of Kuopio campus in Savilahti is a cornerstone for future co-operation.
- Technopolis Kuopio
- Northern Savonia
- Education in Finland
- University of Kuopio
- "Degree Students in Universities of Applied Sciences, Ministry of Education. 2006. (pdf) (Finnish)
- Savonia University of Applied Sciences Municipality Consortium: Members (Finnish)
- Savonia University of Applied Sciences Municipality Consortium: Founding Document (Finnish)
- Savonia University of Applied Sciences Municipality Consortium: Consortium Council (Finnish)
- Savonia University of Applied Sciences Municipality Consortium: Consortium Board (Finnish)
- Savonia University of Applied Sciences Board (Finnish)
- Executive Group (Finnish)
- Patrakka, Jukka: "Savonian kampus Savilahteen". Savon Sanomat, 22. June 2007. (Finnish)
- Savonia University of Applied Sciences
- Student Union SAVOTTA (Finnish)
- Application Guide 2010 (English)