Sawblade EP (Isis)
|Studio album by Isis|
|Genre||Sludge metal, doom metal|
Hydra Head Records
|Producer||Isis, Kurt Ballou|
The Sawblade EP (also called the Buzzsaw EP) is a handmade CD-R made by Isis for their tour with Neurosis and Candiria, limited to 200 copies (the first 40 with red blade inserts, the remaining 160 with black). It was sold at these shows at a limit of 15 per night, and the leftover copies were given to friends of the band as a year-end "thank you" gift. The vinyl run of this release was limited to 250 copies. As such, Aaron Turner doesn't consider this an 'official' Isis release, describing it as “more like a special artifact for us and the few converts we had at the time”.
"Emission of the Signal" and "House of Low Culture" were both constructed by Aaron Turner and Jeff Caxide at home; "Streetcleaner" and "Hand of Doom" are both covers of Godflesh and Black Sabbath, respectively. The former was recorded for Isis' 1999 split release with Pig Destroyer, while the latter was recorded during the Red Sea sessions in the same year. The CD version of the release was a genuine sawblade with a CD physically attached to it, which several venues prohibited from sale. To the best of Turner's knowledge, “no one was ever injured by one of these”.
The Japanese double release of Mosquito Control/the Red Sea features both cover songs as bonuses; "Streetcleaner" appears at the end of disc 1 (Mosquito Control), and "Hand of Doom" appears at the end of disc 2 (the Red Sea/1998 Demo); both tracks were later selected for inclusion on posthumous b-side album Temporal.
Tracks 1 and 4 written by Aaron Turner and Jeff Caxide.
- "Emission of the Signal" – 4:53
- "Streetcleaner" – 5:42 (Broadrick)
- "Hand of Doom" – 8:36 (Iommi/Osbourne/Ward/Butler)
- "House of Low Culture" – 11:09
- Band members
- Jeff Caxide – bass guitar
- Aaron Harris – drums
- Michael Gallagher – guitar
- Bryant Clifford Meyer – electronics, vocals on "Hand of Doom"
- Jay Randall – electronics on "Streetcleaner"
- Aaron Turner – vocals, guitar, design
- Other personnel
- Conrad, Matt (2007-06-21). "Isis - Sawblade EP Review". Sputnik Music. Retrieved 2009-05-25.
- "Isis Sawblade 12". Tortuga Recordings. Retrieved 2009-05-25.
- "PRIMER: Aaron Turner Revisits Isis’ Entire Catalog". Self-Titled. Pop Mart Media. 4 June 2010. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- Turner, Aaron (2008-05-06). "ISIS artifacts". FERAL PIG. Retrieved 2008-05-07.
- "ISIS: 'Temporal' Cover Artwork, Track Listing Revealed". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. 29 August 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2013.