|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||(0091) 04630|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Srivaikundam|
Sawyerpuram is a town panchayat in Tuticorin district, Tamil Nadu, India. Since missionary Dr. G. U. Pope ministered in this place the population is predominantly Christian. It is also called Nadarpuram.
The village was formed in 1814 as a Christian settlement on land provided by Mr. Sawyer, an Anglo-Indian layman in the employ of the East India Company. Dr. G. U. Pope established “Sawyerpuram Seminary” in 1844 which trained Indian clergymen, teachers and catechists. Dr.G.U Pope is a Tamil Patron. His popular translations include Tirukkural and Tiruvachagam.
Sawyerpuram was also the venue of the first experiment in “Medical Evangelism”. From the small beginning of a clinic set up in 1854 there sprang up St. Raphael’s Hospital, which became increasingly popular and did signal service during the outbreak of epidemics following the famine of 1877-1879.But due to lack of maintenance and management the hospital is going down. The CSI Diocese has lot of money, but they are not spending to appoint a doctor and needed people. If the same thing continues only building will remain in sawyerpuram for name sake? Will CSI Diocese consider as a big issue and make change further?
The seminary grew to a college, and was affiliated with the University of Madras in 1880. Rev. Sharrock was its first Principal. (Sharrock was very famous among the people, he was identified by local people, he was loved by the people, so in his name few street names are called Sharrock Strret, it contains three street, I, II, III)Bishop Caldwell moved the college and high school to Tuticorin in 1883. The middle school remaining expanded and at present it is a Higher secondary school. Sawyerpuram has several educational institutions, which include the Pope Memorial Higher Secondary School, Popes College of Arts and Science, Dr. G.U Pope College of Engineering, Dr. G.U. Pope College of Education, National Nursery and Primary School & St. Mary's Girls' Higher Secondary School. George Muller was the first Principal of Popes College of Arts and Science .He developed the College as he chose a sincere and dedicated team who was responsible for the growth of this wonderful college. After his retirement Paul Dawson, Major Rajkumar, Dr. Joseph Christudoss and Dr. A. Selvakumar followed as principals. The chapel was built in 1992. The Chapel was rededicated by Dr.J.A.D. Jebachandran, Bishop of Thoothukudi-Nazareth Diocese in 2012.
Religions & Cultures
- Tamil culture is widely followed among the people living in sawyerpuram whether they are Christians or Hindus.Many churches & Hindu temples are seen in sawyerpuram town which clearly shows how religious they are and most of them belong to the Nadar Family.
Education & Communication
- People from Sawyerpuram speak Tamil and English. Majority of them speak Tamil, their mother tongue. Tamil-speaking people can easily identify them by their Tamil accent and this accent is widely common in Tuticorin district. 94.32% is the literacy rate of Sawyerpuram people according to 2011 census. This small town holds plenty of educational institutions which are listed below.
List of Colleges
- Pope College of Arts and Science
- Dr.G.U. Pope College of Engineering
- Dr.G.U. Pope College of Education
- Jeya Polytechnic College
List of Schools
- Pope Memorial Higher Secondary School
- St. Mary's Girls Higher Secondary School
- A.M.A.Hindu Higher Secondary School
- National Nursery and Primary School
- Martin Nursery and Primary School
- A.M.A Hindu Nursery and Primary School
- Gnanasigamani Evangelical Primary School
- TNDTA Primary School, Naduvaikurichi
- R.C.Middle School, Naduvaikurichi
- R.C.Middle School, Sebathiyapuram
- TNDTA Primary School, Puliyanagar
- TNDTA Middle school, Sebathiyapuram
- R.C.Middle School, Subramaniyapuram
- TNDTA Primary School, Subramaniyapuram
Churches in Sawyerpuram==
- Holy Trinity Church CSI(Sawyerpuram)
- CSI Abishekanathar Church (Pulianagar)
- St.Mark Church CSI (Senthiambalam)
- St. Luke Church CSI (Lukkapuram)
- CMS Evangelical Church ( Sharrock Street)
- CMS Evangelical Church, Immanuel (Senthiambalam)
- Seventh day advent church (Singapore Road)
- The Pentocoastal Mission (Singapore Road)
- Church of God ( Singapore Road)
- Assemblies of God (Yercadu street)
- St. Annai RC Church (Rayappapuram)
Sending out Missionaries
This is the mission center for missionary societies, because of this reason, this place is producing so many commissionaires and sending around the world. There are so many mission leaders, missionaries are coming up from this village. It is well known by all others.
- Tuticorin Airport (going to be international in 3years)
- Tuticorin Port Trust 34 km
- Trivandrum International Airport 192.2 km
- Madurai International Airport 152.2 km
- Tuticorin Railway Station 25 km
Natural Resources & Climate
In Summer days the climate remains so warm and on other seasons the climate will be cool and windy.This small town is also known for the best cultivation of bananas & Rice because of its red soil and jack fruit, star fruit, Jambul fruit, Pea nut, Cucumber are also cultivated on few places around the town.